Drone Fishing

As I said not knocking it at all and you have a lot more knowledge of electronics than me.
My background is RC cars where things aren't so delicate.
As I found though watch carefully where your line is before attempting takeoff.

Yeah definitely, I see a video on youtube somewhere where the line got tangled because the rod was standing straight. Safety first :)

Following this closely, I live in South Texas, not far from Padre Island...waiting to see what y'all come up with, in mean time, found this vid, don't think I want to duct tape my drone, but something similar, seems very simple and doable...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That one won't work with the phantom because of the camera.
I used this one
but didn't like the weight all being on one side so am redesigning to carry weight in the middle

Reactions: 66Fury
He's very smart, He didn't loose the line completely, He locked it but loosen it that's why it don't get tangled, Definitely easiest way to do it for fishing and it's cheapest solution but Balance will be an issue, If you use small bait there won't be an issue, If you use 80lbs line like I do then its going to be risky.

One thing I'm not sure is How much weight P4 can lift up, It would be interesting to know, I seen one video comparison between p3 & p4 and the P3 carry much better than p4, but again I don't think anyone going to use 2lbs as a bait lol unless they going to smuggle drugs

Once I complete the design I'm going to test how much weight P4 can lift, And for every 25% of the total weight I'm going to test how much flight time in Minutes does p4 compromise

He's very smart, He didn't loose the line completely, He locked it but loosen it that's why it don't get tangled, Definitely easiest way to do it for fishing and it's cheapest solution but Balance will be an issue, If you use small bait there won't be an issue, If you use 80lbs line like I do then its going to be risky.

One thing I'm not sure is How much weight P4 can lift up, It would be interesting to know, I seen one video comparison between p3 & p4 and the P3 carry much better than p4, but again I don't think anyone going to use 2lbs as a bait lol unless they going to smuggle drugs

Once I complete the design I'm going to test how much weight P4 can take, And for every 25% of the total weight I'm going to test how much flight time in Minutes does p4 compromise

There's a vid on you tube showing a P3 carrying 1KG
Search Phantom 3 payload and you'll find it.
Doesn't seem to eat much battery.
I used 20lb line with a 4oz sinker + bait so probably around 6oz and she flew level.
I just didn't like the idea of one side working harder than the other.
Also using that method as in the video doesn't work as the weight of the line pulls the clip out.
I had to fly backwards and then rotate to drop bait.

Hopefully one of these days I will be able to finish putting things together to field test it, Having 3 years old kid only give me time to work on my garage during weekend :oops:

I work 7 days most weeks so I know the feeling plus I'm limited by tides
If we get a big high in my spare time I can't drive on the beach

Hopefully one of these days I will be able to finish putting things together to field test it, Having 3 years old kid only give me time to work on my garage during weekend :oops:
It was a great time to fish with my daughter when she was 3 - 12. Now is she 27 and i miss those days. Anyway your solution is maybe overkill but i like it as the electronics is my background. The solution to use the red lights is smart.
How about use some solenoid with spring to pull shortly in instead of servo - you need only one release before new load do not know if such solenoid exists or use rechargeable battery like 18650 that can hold for a one day fishing. I have no doubt your solution works the question is how to simplify to make it reproducible. And i understand you build it from you found at garage:)

Using solenoid could be possible but haven't try it, it's easy to reproduce, I build in my garage but not parts from my garage, I shop around for the parts

Servo and battery I got it from local rc shop since all the servo I have for my jets is big, I had to custom design the mount holder for the servo since the one come with it is too small

Circuit board just need to load with the program I wrote

It take time to make first one from scratch, once perfected it's not hard to make another

Last edited:
So I thought about the 18650 Battery, There will be few issue using that, It will take more space, Attached WIP photos of how the size is and this considered compact to fit all components inside,

You can see the battery which I attached on the cover which is compact size as well, Of course its rechargeable via USB.
20160510_101622.jpg

20160510_102542.jpg
I have tiny space to create the holder, It does look big in picture but its light weight
20160510_102637.jpg
20160510_102641.jpg
20160510_102649.jpg
20160510_102658.jpg
There is one alternate way without needing to use rechargeable battery is a connection from drop mechanism usb port to the bird usb port, The drop mechanism can be powered using p4 battery but I'm afraid if that will cause any issue during the flight
20160510_102706.jpg
20160510_103200.jpg

Attached video on how it will work when Led turned On/Off, when the sensor see the light the servo does it job

Last edited:
Reactions: Phill2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.