Drone falls and hits baby.

I do wish the child a full recovery. As I wish ALL children in ALL accidents.

Google this....."Child injured in accident".....and look at the thousands of results...

Then tell me why it's so much more sensational and news worthy if a "DRONE" (OMG!!!!)
is involved

Because the sky is falling!! The media lives for this stuff! That said, I'm all for licensing drones now, I think. If I read ONE more story of some nitwit "operator" losing control of his drone I'm gonna puke!! Whether the equipments fault or pilots fault, it's ALL his fault!! I hope they stick it to the dumb-***!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: stevee and 750r
A good healthy debate on current issues is a good thing. :)

I guess drivers where you're from are a LOT different than those where I am. Many people here drive aggressively and Recklessly. It's so common you get used to it. But that doesn't make it less dangerous.
80,000 hit and runs in my state last year....again...80,000.
And why are Honda Accords packed with 300HP? Hmmm.....to get groceries?
You've totally missed the horsepower wars raging in the auto industry. All to haul the kids around? I think not. Many of the cars on the road today satisfy a need for speed and power.

I do not go around "expecting" to be hit by a car. I go around realizing that there are morons operating many of them. When in public, you take the risk of robbery and a lot of things. Drones are now one of the many is all.
But let's just talk about facts. Get me current statistics for car accidents and let's compare those to drone accidents. Again, cars are more dangerous to society by a HUGE margin.

Like I said, "responsible" drone operators are AMA members or have other liability insurance.
Getting a permit to fly over crowds should be possible. There are things that can be done to mitigate the potential hazards.

I live in a metropolitan area with over a million cars on the road. Estimates are 32% are driving without insurance or valid registration...also, planes and helicopters are always flying overhead. So as long as you are breathing, you accept that something "could" fall out the sky and kill you at any time. (Showing how any argument can be sensationalized)

If you believe "drones" to be so much of a public liability....why do you own one? Are you honestly going to try to claim you have never flown yours near people, in your neighborhood or near a gathering?

I'm ALL for safety no doubt. What I oppose is hysteria and knee-jerk lawmaking.

Please don't drink and drone

In the spirit of your first sentence...

What if I do this to your third sentence?:

"... Many drone pilots fly aggressively and Recklessly." It's so common you get used to it. But that doesn't make it less dangerous.

In the spirit of your first sentence...

What if I do this to your third sentence?:

"... Many drone pilots fly aggressively and Recklessly." It's so common you get used to it. But that doesn't make it less dangerous.

I would agree. There are too many reckless drone pilots as well. So at the end of the day, rather than ban everything or vilify a hobby, what's needed is proactive measures to make it safer.

I do wish the child a full recovery. As I wish ALL children in ALL accidents.

Google this....."Child injured in accident".....and look at the thousands of results...

Then tell me why it's so much more sensational and news worthy if a "DRONE" (OMG!!!!)
is involved
Of course people, including children, are injured from many different reasons but drones are current fodder for the media and this is the first story like this. It is media GOLD!

Thanks N017RW
Debris hit the kid I get it now . Well this is why they suggest you stay away from crowds and people . Totally his fault he should be held accountable and pay all the bills . I can say they can make all the laws they want but this kind of thing will not stop .

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Has anyone mentioned it was an Inspire-1?

That Iglesias gent knows what they can do. :)

This goes to show you how lucky that drone operator was!!

Would a Falling Drone Crush Your Skull? We Did the Math
Interesting but completely wrong.
Because they used a theoretical velocity which ignored air resistance, their numbers are out by a long way.
Thanks to an idiot (who has since removed his video from youtube) we know that the actual terminal velocity of a falling Phantom is much less than the numbers they use.
It varies as the Phantom is buffeted but is around 14 m/sec
That would give a force of 1170 N rather than 7173 N that they calculated.
Much less.

Is it pospossible it's a comparison of worst case to best case?

Proping up an arguement based on an 'idiots' data seems foolish.

What does it matter?

How do you rationalize away risk to others so exactly without their input?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Propping up an argument based on an 'idiots' data seems foolish.
1. I wasn't propping up any argument.
2. The data whether it came from an idiot or not, is the only real information I know of that shows the actual speed of a falling Phantom.
How do you rationalize away risk to others so exactly without their input?
I don't rationalize away risk.
I was simply commenting on the calculations in the Vice article.
They went to the trouble of making some calculations but used faulty data.
I've pointed out the error for anyone that wants to use their numbers.

The original article was about someone hit by debris from an Inspire that crashed into a pavement.
The Vice article is about a hypothetical direct impact from a falling Phantom.
There's no connection.

"Horrific" is exactly the kind of words the media feeds off of. Some of us are playing right into the hysteria.

I'm glad the child is ok. personally, I've seen too many stories of exaggerated evil drones claims to believe this article carte blanc until more of the story comes out. I also know a lot of people are looking for a pin drop to grab a lawyer and "get rich".

Remember.....drones are being spotted by almost every pilot in the sky these days.

That said, if a drone really did go out of control and nearly hit a child, then this is a bad incident but still, drones are here to stay and rather than push them into desolate corners "far from people", we're going to have to learn to integrate them into our lives. The tech is just too useful to push aside.

I'm sure you could find many stories of a child being injured by an automobile today...should we keep cars far away from people also?

Maybe one solution that would be a step in the right direction is to allocate special reserved frequency blocks for "drones" to help cut down on radio frequency interference.
I've never understood the logic that says if doing A is dangerous, we'd better not do "B" because it is dangerous too.

The fallacy with this argument in this case is that "B" involves the implied danger of cars (so if we ban drones, we must ban cars...), however cars are highly regulated and evaluated for safety and their travel must remain restricted to legal driving and parking areas, and to operate one, you must be trained and tested, and then become licensed.
This was not a regulated aircraft flying a known path by a trained and licensed operator.
And this is not an unverified report of a sighting. This is an actual event that could have had horrific results. There is no arguing that.

Reactions: N017RW
Yea, no fly zones increasing daily, and every "bad" incident will lead to ever increasing regulation and more no fly zones and more local ordinace regulating where we fly. But in this case, if the circumstances are true, the pilot shouldn't have been there anyway. Playing Russian roulette with drones flying over crowds of people-- but you cant may some of these "pilots" understand that..

Yea, no fly zones increasing daily, and every "bad" incident will lead to ever increasing regulation and more no fly zones and more local ordinace regulating where we fly. But in this case, if the circumstances are true, the pilot shouldn't have been there anyway. Playing Russian roulette with drones flying over crowds of people-- but you cant may some of these "pilots" understand that..
They're no different than the loons who text while driving. If they don't know how dangerous it is without someone having to tell them, they will never get it on their own!!

They're no different than the loons who text while driving. If they don't know how dangerous it is without someone having to tell them, they will never get it on their own!!
Agreed-- but the loons driving and texting don't have the FAA breathing down their neck-- and there is no chance that any of them will have to get a license to operate their cell phone. With the FAA's authority to regulate air space, that could soon be a reality, or the ever increasing no fly zones will just get larger. The AMA has been "battling them for years" over model airplanes and if they hadn't gotten involved in active lobbying, we would be having to get license's to fly foamy rc airplanes at designated hobby airfields. :mad: Regulation is totally out of hand and will hurt the drone hobby and drone business before all is said and done.

Sad to hear this, and hope the baby is okay, but I agree with 750R (Suzuki?) the mother was pushing a stroller and noticed the baby crying? She didn't see or hear the drone come down and hit the stroller? At least it wasn't reported that way.. Not saying it didn't happen, but..... [emoji53]

Sad to hear this, and hope the baby is okay, but I agree with 750R (Suzuki?) the mother was pushing a stroller and noticed the baby crying? She didn't see or hear the drone come down and hit the stroller? At least it wasn't reported that way.. Not saying it didn't happen, but..... [emoji53]
I've spent a good part of the past 35 years working in trauma centers and seen some pretty bizarre accidents. One thing I can tell you, the press/media very rarely have the true story of what happened. They try to gather the story from witnesses, most of whom do not want to get involved and offer no comment, or they relish the attention and embellish the story to the point it is no longer factual, or they gather the story from people who have heard it 3rd or 4th hand and added their own twist to the "facts" with each retelling. Some of the comedic stories I could tell about the press trying to get information from family or visitors at the hospital, and the disguises and tactics they've tried to use...lol.
I'm guessing the drone crashed near the stroller, flying debris hit the child, mom did not see debris hit child as she was too distracted by the crash. Had the drone hit the child, we would be reading about a fatality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4
So everyone get out there and safely enjoy your equipment for now because this party is soon to be over.

if it was a major media outlet working the event, you would never hear about this story. there is a reason they spoke to a airman police officer instead of cruiser patrol. hobbyists in a park, commercial use = $$$ for permits. government will step in to get paid.
new laws for usage in city zones will make them illegal. just a matter of time.
"if something can go wrong, it will"
good thing the kid is okay.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj