Drone falls and hits baby.

Reaction score
Just seen on L.A. News. Looks like a Inspire lost control in downtown LA and fell on a 11 month olds baby...went to hospital.

PASADENA (CBSLA.com) – A baby is recovering from injuries caused by a drone that crashed in Pasadena Saturday.

The 11-month-old child was with her mother on Marengo Avenue near Union Street on Sept. 12 at about 6:30 p.m., when a drone crashed on the ground near them, according to the Pasadena Police Department.

“The mom, who was pushing the stroller, looked down when she heard her daughter crying and noticed that she had a large knot on the top of her head,” said Lt. Mike Ingram of the Pasadena Police Department. The flying shrapnel from the quadcopter also caused a large cut to the baby’s head.

She was transported to Huntington Memorial Hospital, where she was treated and released. The mother was not injured.

The drone’s owner, 24, who has not been identified, rushed to the crash site to find his unmanned aerial vehicle damaged and the child hurt.

He told police he was attending an event in front of City Hall and flying the drone overhead one block away from the crash site when he lost control of it.

Lt. Ingram said people who operate drones need to follow safety guidelines. “Not flying them over congested streets or crowds, flying them at altitudes that wouldn’t interfere with regular aviation,” he said.

Authorities are now trying to determine if the drone owner violated any laws.

“This was forwarded to the FAA for their review. It could result in a criminal prosecution or it could result in civil fines,” Ingram said. “Similar to what happens with laser strikes, they could be fined up to $10,000.”

Drones are considered aircraft and subject the FAA regulations and guidelines.

Last edited:
Man that's bad.. Rule 1 don't fly over people. Rule 2 follow rule 1. Safety always first.

Reactions: robsquad
I'm assuming the baby is alright, since she was released from hospital, but jeez, that could've been horrific...

"Horrific" is exactly the kind of words the media feeds off of. Some of us are playing right into the hysteria.

I'm glad the child is ok. personally, I've seen too many stories of exaggerated evil drones claims to believe this article carte blanc until more of the story comes out. I also know a lot of people are looking for a pin drop to grab a lawyer and "get rich".

Remember.....drones are being spotted by almost every pilot in the sky these days.

That said, if a drone really did go out of control and nearly hit a child, then this is a bad incident but still, drones are here to stay and rather than push them into desolate corners "far from people", we're going to have to learn to integrate them into our lives. The tech is just too useful to push aside.

I'm sure you could find many stories of a child being injured by an automobile today...should we keep cars far away from people also?

Maybe one solution that would be a step in the right direction is to allocate special reserved frequency blocks for "drones" to help cut down on radio frequency interference.

Last edited:
You knew it was gonna happen sooner or later... I was hoping later. I hope the baby is alright and at least the pilot took responsibility. Lets see what they charge this guy with if anything. I have a feeling they will scour the laws to make an example out of him.

*moved to news

Last edited:
"Horrific" is exactly the kind of words the media feeds off of. Some of us are playing right into the hysteria.

I'm glad the child is ok. personally, I've seen too many stories of exaggerated evil drones claims to believe this article carte blanc until more of the story comes out. I also know a lot of people are looking for a pin drop to grab a lawyer and "get rich".

Remember.....drones are being spotted by almost every pilot in the sky these days.

That said, if a drone really did go out of control and nearly hit a child, then this is a bad incident but still, drones are here to stay and rather than push them into desolate corners "far from people", we're going to have to learn to integrate them into our lives. The tech is just too useful to push aside.

I'm sure you could find many stories of a child being injured by an automobile today...should we keep cars far away from people also?

Maybe one solution that would be a step in the right direction is to allocate special reserved frequency blocks for "drones" to help cut down on radio frequency interference.

May I quote back to you your tag line? Here it is "Please try to remember this is a "Hobby" and hobbies are supposed to provide "fun"".

Therein lies the difference between your automobile accident example and drone flying in the mind of the public. One is a necessity, the other a hobby. And if the public perceives that our "hobby" which is for our "fun" causes aircraft to crash and babies to be eviscerated then that'll be the end of that.
We can rant all we want, but the only things which will save our hobby is a counter offensive by the AMA (in process!) and more thoughtful and mature flying by hobbyists (questionable).

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The twist in this is that the pilot claims he was "flying a block away and lost control".

So when the craft is malfunctioning and runs away and decides to crash in another area, is the pilot still fully liable?

The twist in this is that the pilot claims he was "flying a block away and lost control".

So when the craft is malfunctioning and runs away and decides to crash in another area, is the pilot still fully liable?
Yes, he is screwed and probably sued. This poor guy will be the pigeon who they make an example of. The media will run with this and squeeze every drop out of it.

Reactions: dirkclod and snerd
Yes.

He is/was the "Pilot in Command".

Fully??? Well... if Lawyers get involved of course they'll go for DJI and anyone else IF involved ( such as 3rd party antenna vendors, CSC blocking device manufacturers, etc.)

"He told police he was attending an event in front of City Hall and flying the drone overhead one block away from the crash site when he lost control of it."

"Attending an event?"

Do what...?

Was he a member of the press? If this guy were covering "the event" for the local news station, I wonder if it'd ever been reported?

May I quote back to you your tag line? Here it is "Please try to remember this is a "Hobby" and hobbies are supposed to provide "fun"".

Therein lies the difference between your automobile accident example and drone flying in the mind of the public. One is a necessity, the other a hobby. And if the public perceives that our "hobby" which is for our "fun" causes aircraft to crash and babies to be eviscerated then that'll be the end of that.
We can rant all we want, but the only things which will save our hobby is a counter offensive by the AMA (in process!) and more thoughtful and mature flying by hobbyists (questionable).

Ok good point....but let me toss a phrase your way....

SPORTS CAR

Just as people drive their 400+ horsepower vehicles (is that really a necessity?)...conversely, some people use their "drones" to make a living.

That said, I would agree that the perception needs adjustment in many cases.

Reactions: nickyb
What are the odds of being hit and injured by a "drone"?

Probably a thousand times less than the odds of being killed by an automobile.

Has anyone considered that prop guards might go a long way in reducing the danger?

Compare a drone at full throttle bumping into someone with....and without them.
They can do more than protect the drone from damage.

The frustrating part of these type arguments is that motor vehicles are operating in the manner and location to which they are designed. Yes it could 'hop the curb' and hit a pedestrian, stroller, wheelchair, etc. But you expect this as a possibility and YOU take the risk of injury from an accident by the driver. This is different than liability.

Additionally that vehicle and driver have a license and insurance to mitigate their liability.

The drone operator most likely doesn't have a license and insurance and the pedestrian surely is not expecting one to fall on him/her so he/she is not accepting the risk of injury from one by using the sidewalk.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
A good healthy debate on current issues is a good thing. :)

The frustrating part of these type arguments is that motor vehicles are operating in the manner and location to which they are designed.

I guess drivers where you're from are a LOT different than those where I am. Many people here drive aggressively and Recklessly. It's so common you get used to it. But that doesn't make it less dangerous.
80,000 hit and runs in my state last year....again...80,000.
And why are Honda Accords packed with 300HP? Hmmm.....to get groceries?
You've totally missed the horsepower wars raging in the auto industry. All to haul the kids around? I think not. Many of the cars on the road today satisfy a need for speed and power.

Yes it could 'hop the curb' and hit a pedestrian, stroller, wheelchair, etc. But you expect this as a possibility and YOU take the risk of injury from an accident by the driver. This is different than liability.

I do not go around "expecting" to be hit by a car. I go around realizing that there are morons operating many of them. When in public, you take the risk of robbery and a lot of things. Drones are now one of the many is all.
But let's just talk about facts. Get me current statistics for car accidents and let's compare those to drone accidents. Again, cars are more dangerous to society by a HUGE margin.

Additionally that vehicle and driver have a license and insurance to mitigate their liability.

Like I said, "responsible" drone operators are AMA members or have other liability insurance.
Getting a permit to fly over crowds should be possible. There are things that can be done to mitigate the potential hazards.

The drone operator most likely doesn't have a license and insurance and the pedestrian surely is not expecting one to fall on him/her so he/she is not accepting the risk of injury from one by using the sidewalk.

I live in a metropolitan area with over a million cars on the road. Estimates are 32% are driving without insurance or valid registration...also, planes and helicopters are always flying overhead. So as long as you are breathing, you accept that something "could" fall out the sky and kill you at any time. (Showing how any argument can be sensationalized)

If you believe "drones" to be so much of a public liability....why do you own one? Are you honestly going to try to claim you have never flown yours near people, in your neighborhood or near a gathering?

I'm ALL for safety no doubt. What I oppose is hysteria and knee-jerk lawmaking.

Please don't drink and drone

Last edited:
wow that really sucks and I hope the baby is ok But even if he had not been flying it near a crowed site blocks away from were it landed when it went after going out of control is irrelevant to it hitting a baby. unless of course some one things that the extra gravitational pull of a lot of people on the ground near were he was intending to fly it had some thing to do with causing it to go out of control and then crash a block or more away.. Some one could still take every single precaution and go fly some were that has No one on around at all on the ground and thats still no guarantee that one cant fly out of control and go were ever the heck it wants to and then crash.

the only way that you could really have perfect no one could ever get hurt whats so every and absolute safety like some of the people here that like to never go out side for a walk down the street with out requiring a full helmet, life jacket as well as inflatable swimmy thingy s on as well as a athletic supporter and a cup . Would be if you go and fly in places were you know that there is no one around at all for what ever the maximum flight range on a full battery would be and only fly there. which would be in the middle of a dessert or way out to sea. and and no were else.

Reactions: JKDSensei
wow that really sucks and I hope the baby is ok But even if he had not been flying it near a crowed site blocks away from were it landed when it went after going out of control is irrelevant to it hitting a baby. unless of course some one things that the extra gravitational pull of a lot of people on the ground near were he was intending to fly it had some thing to do with causing it to go out of control and then crash a block or more away.. Some one could still take every single precaution and go fly some were that has No one on around at all on the ground and thats still no guarantee that one cant fly out of control and go were ever the heck it wants to and then crash.

the only way that you could really have perfect no one could ever get hurt whats so every and absolute safety like some of the people here that like to never go out side for a walk down the street with out requiring a full helmet, life jacket as well as inflatable swimmy thingy s on as well as a athletic supporter and a cup . Would be if you go and fly in places were you know that there is no one around at all for what ever the maximum flight range on a full battery would be and only fly there. which would be in the middle of a dessert or way out to sea. and and no were else.

You make a good point James. These Phantoms can fly for miles and miles.
But some will argue that flying over crowds is the danger and to some extent, with the current technology I can see their point.....we have to integrate the technology as safely as possible.
Remember how "safe" cars were in the 50's and 60's (even 70's) (<-- yep, sarcasm)

How the "risks" were managed when cars were a novelty:

i7OcCfA.jpg

Flying a drone should require four flag carriers in each corner of a 1 square kilometer area.

Reactions: Jeff48920
Something is not adding up here .
Any links to the story ?
Op said it crashed then the mother herd crying you telling me the mother did not see or hear it ? Any eye witnesses ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31