Drone Deploy Taking Photos in Raw

Reaction score
Does anyone know a way to get Drone Deploy to take it's photos using Raw DNG vs the JPG. JPG loses to much detail. This would be really huge.

Does anyone know a way to get Drone Deploy to take it's photos using Raw DNG vs the JPG. JPG loses to much detail. This would be really huge.

Im not sure their "map engine" is equipped to process Raw files. That said... You can always fly the flight yourself, do whatever post processing you need in batch (via Lightroom or photoshop), and upload the resultant files directly to drone deploy to generate a map. Only thing... You'll probably need to take Jpg + raw, as the raw files do not have the required gps metadata.

Also, Drone Deploy support is very responsive and well informed about their product, so honestly, I'd just ask them.

Reactions: BigAl07
Okay, I only use the free app for flight. So to do grid flying myself would probably be impossible. Also I did not know DNG raw didn't have gps, that would probably be a major issue since I use this to make 3d models. Sucks that the compression is so crappy on the jpg. do you know of anyway to lessen the jpg compression so you get a better picture like raw? if I take a raw DNG file on the computer and convert it to jpg. it looks exactly the same. but the compression that the drone does when saving the jpg looks pretty crappy.

Okay, I only use the free app for flight. So to do grid flying myself would probably be impossible. Also I did not know DNG raw didn't have gps, that would probably be a major issue since I use this to make 3d models. Sucks that the compression is so crappy on the jpg. do you know of anyway to lessen the jpg compression so you get a better picture like raw? if I take a raw DNG file on the computer and convert it to jpg. it looks exactly the same. but the compression that the drone does when saving the jpg looks pretty crappy.

Unfortunately, you cannot "undo" lossy compression, like that used in a jpeg.

If you're technically inclined, you could probably write a little script that copies the metadata from the appropriate jpeg to the appropriate post-processed raw (which would at this point also be in jpeg format), but short of that, the only real solution is to stick to jpegs from the drone itself.

Using litchi and manually editing the ground station files, you might be able to build your own "grid flight" and use that to get your photos in jpeg + raw, but again, you'd need some technical skill, both to create the appropriate flight path, and to reassign the metadata.

You can change it in the menu button. It is one of the options. I'm taking all mine in dng. It's right where jpeg is.

You can change it in the menu button. It is one of the options. I'm taking all mine in dng. It's right where jpeg is.
Thanks but that doesn't apply for Drone Deploy. Is there any way to edit either the firmware or something so the JPG has a less compression thus a larger file with much more detail. there should be no detail difference from raw to jpg, the only problem is the high compression rate they put for jpgs.

I've been shooting RAW for stills since I bought the thing. GPS metadata is certainly there in the DNG files.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20