Drone Deploy, love it or leave it?

Reaction score
So I have been trialling DD for 2 days, and while I am currently underwhelmed, I figure it may be that the learning curve is a bit steeper than I have been able to afford time for so far. Anyone here use it and love it? Got 3D models to share? I am seeing limitations for any kind of work that involves overhangs. Was planning to use it for real estate photography, as an additional deliverable, however am having a bit of a rough time seeing what the 3D model delivers that cannot be seen better by a thorough fly-through; which you have to do anyway to gather the data in the first place.

I think that the promise is a great one, I am just not seeing the delivery.

What are your thoughts?

So I have been trialling DD for 2 days, and while I am currently underwhelmed, I figure it may be that the learning curve is a bit steeper than I have been able to afford time for so far. Anyone here use it and love it? Got 3D models to share? I am seeing limitations for any kind of work that involves overhangs. Was planning to use it for real estate photography, as an additional deliverable, however am having a bit of a rough time seeing what the 3D model delivers that cannot be seen better by a thorough fly-through; which you have to do anyway to gather the data in the first place.

I think that the promise is a great one, I am just not seeing the delivery.

What are your thoughts?
I think the problem is DD might not be a very good tool for your needs.
What DD is great for is photogrammetry.
Here's a small version of a big image I created using DroneDeploy.
It's an area of 30 acres and DD calculated and managed the survey flight and took 115 overlapping photos
5X20a_Tallowood%20orthophoto-X2.jpg

And you do more like generating contour plans for a site:
Tallowood%20contours-XL.jpg

Reactions: Kara Murphy
1. You are right. I worded that poorly, when in fact the software just might not be what I was envisioning. Excellent point.

2. I would be VERY interested to know how you got the contour lines on that map.

3. Have you tried the volume function? I tried to take the volume of a shed on my farm, and it came out to be half of my calculations from direct measurement. The process for volume in the Direct Drone software seems too simple to screw up, but it seems I have.

Last edited:
I've never tried Drone Deploy, I have been experimenting with Pix4D. I may give Drone Deploy a go with a small test project to compare the result of how they process my images to create a 3D model vs Pix4D. I have terrible internet speeds so I could only test a small project as it will take me a long time to upload images to Drone Deploy.

Pix4d is supposed to be much more accurate, but WOW that price!

Sometimes you get what you pay for especially when you're wanting to stay on the leading edge of new technology.

I am using the Trial version at present but it's great that they give a monthly rental option. Given the right contract, paying $350-400 to use it for a month can be well worth it.

just a thought and probably fairly easy.... couldn't you just keep your drone at the same altitude and take your own photos and use photoshop photo merge tool to merge them altogether and get a similar if not same result as shown above?

Technically you can use any images captured on any device in a program like Pix4D to create 3D models and orthomosaics. However, the programs capture apps streamline the process and you can set it to capture images with the correct overlap required and full coverage of your study area. Manually doing it leaves room for error, but yes, it can be done.

Reactions: grizgrin
I use free or cheap 3D apps and services for personal projects, smaller contracts or ones that do not demand high levels of accuracy (and thus pay less too). Then I go for Pix4D or other high-end monthly sub whenever I have a demand that justifies/pays for the job. I try to cram as much renderings as possible in the sub period also, to split costs among clients/jobs and make it more cost-effective.

I use free or cheap 3D apps and services for personal projects, smaller contracts or ones that do not demand high levels of accuracy (and thus pay less too). Then I go for Pix4D or other high-end monthly sub whenever I have a demand that justifies/pays for the job. I try to cram as much renderings as possible in the sub period also, to split costs among clients/jobs and make it more cost-effective.

I'd be interested in learning what free and cheap 3D apps and services you use.

Most companies have a free version of their apps and rendering services. Most also have a trial, but I prefer to use the free until I get a good grip of the main features so I can get the best of the trial period to evaluate the app and service for good, and then choose which one is more adequate for my needs, workflow, etc. As I said it all depends on the needs, professional jobs demand higher levels of commitment and proficiency (and investment!) but also pay better, and so on.

Of course there are limitations in those free and test versions, but unless you need pro accuracy/deadline/resolution/quantity, IMHO it's the best way to learn and get proficient without cashing out big money right away. I mean, there are many different services and apps out there but ultimately they're just tools, and what really makes a difference is how we use them and not which one is the shinniest or most feature filled.

Now, answering your question more directly, if you want to play with simple yet easy, quick and rather decent 3D modeling you could try the new Aerial3D cloud service from FPV Camera. It's pretty nice and in fact I've been using its 3D Model auto capture app to get non-orthogonal sequential images from overhang or detailed objects for use with other more advanced rendering services. Some apps have flight planners only for ortho capturing and I had to do it manually which takes more time and involves more risk, and FPV's quite flexible and versatile with its fully automated 3 level independent multi-parameter settings.

You can also give 123D Catch free 3D model a look, it's pretty nice and more advanced than FPVs rendering and has all the other Autodesk 3D softs like ReMake (former Memento) to take your 3D needs and results to another level. Good luck!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers