Drone crashes on Ellipse near White House

Stay-on-topic.jpg

Property does NOT belong to the Federal Government. There's your problem right there. It belongs to THE PEOPLE.

Stop attacking our hobby.

Actually, property DOES belong to the Federal Government. We are not, and have never been, in a democracy. It's a republic - we select people to do things FOR us, make decisions FOR us, control things FOR us, etc.

The notion that I'm attacking our hobby is laughable. Abiding by regulation, not acting obtusely and recklessly is supporting our hobby - challenging authority with lunacy, is attacking it.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Again, what the man did with his small drone was none of the evils you suggest.
Regulation for the sake of regulation is an utterly dangerous mindset.

Clearly you are not going to see that limited government is what made America great and that centralizing excessive power into government leads to all kinds of trouble. History has proven the results again and again and again, yet every generation has those who willingly make the exact same mistakes.

"Authority"? Please don't school me on authority. The USA was borne of the challenge to British authority which at the time was the world's greatest authority. It it unwise to blindly accept authority and never challenge it when your inalienable rights are denied or authority becomes oppressive.

I have a friend who grew up in Cuba and have spent hours with him as he told me of the horrors of government absolute control and the pain and suffering so many suffered simply because they did not go along with the regime or saying the wrong thing.. Unspeakable horrors to men, women and children all too often instigated or "turned in" by individuals more than happy to tell on their neighbors in exchange for a loaf of bread or admittance to a show. I encourage you to read Cuban history. Cuba was not always a dictatorship. The USA is not yet a dictatorship.

I could write volumes on this topic and show where you are mistaken but arguing or debating with you is very apparently pointless at this time and sadly, few care. In fact, we both are probably annoying some.

With all due respect, I hope at some point something presses you to see the folly and dangers of your current mindset.

As a nation, it is self evident that we are falling rapidly both domestically and internationally because of the unfortunate spread of similar thinking. God help us.

How many people could be expected to research laws and aviation regulations before going to play with a $50 toy?
This was more like a self-propelled frisbee than a drone.

My exact thoughts. We here on the forum are not the average buyer of these!

Why in the world would an average guy walking into a store and buying a 50 dollar toy think he would NEED to RESEARCH the law and FAA regs.

Seriously folks, how far do we want the government up our business and lives more than it is already?
Far to many are ready to say "its the law just follow it" without the critical thought of WHY and for what purpose are theses laws or rules propagated. One of the things West Point taught me years ago was to THINK for myself, ask questions, and not blindly follow orders!

Last edited:
Reactions: JKDSensei
How many school kids have been suspended or punished for bringing a GI Joe's toy gun to school where they have a zero tolerance policy? Totally ridiculous, but it happens.

So this guy who actually lives in the district flies his quad from the grounds of the Washington Monument at 1:30 A.M. The middle of the night. Granted, he may not realize he lives in the most restricted airspace in the nation, but why fly at 1:30 A.M.? Don't you think it may look suspicious?
Can you actually live in DC and be that naive about security in the area?

But regardless of the pilot's mindset; what were District Police supposed to do when they saw a lighted aircraft making it's way through our nation's most restricted airspace in the middle of the night? Shrug their shoulders and say "oh it's just a toy?"
This is what he was flying:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
If I know nothing about drones, it might look threatening - but again, all the police saw were lights in the sky in our nation's most restricted airspace.
LE did exactly what they were supposed to do, and exactly what we want them to do - investigate.
They did, they fined the drone operator $85 for his ignorance or his stupidity - whichever it was.
I've made stupid mistakes that have cost me far more than $85.

I don't consider LE doing their job to be the end of my freedoms as a citizen.

Now whose turn to beat this dead horse?

Using the "Dead Horse" implication while beating it further yourself is a bit hypocritical.

You're still missing the root of the problem.
WHY do we need all this extra "security" and are all these 'threats" real or fabricated and why?

Perhaps if the government did what it is supposed to do and did things that actually protect Americans and keep bad folks out we wouldn't need all these regulations. Instead, government is focusing on how to spy on average Americans which have no mal intent and no record. Why?
To what end? I'll tell you....control and centralization of power. All those TSA jobs are to make more people depend on government. But will it stop attackers? No.

If government REALLY cared about American lives don't you think there would be more focus on securing the borders, vetting immigrants and removing those who are here ILLEGALLY?

Instead, the President is moving to allow hundreds of thousands MORE Middle Eastern immigrants into America. WHY? We are already facing job shortages and infrastructure difficulties. Again, it's not about safety...it's about centralizing power and those advocating for stricter government controls are their pawns.

So the government will allow millions of potentially anti-American immigrants to come here, force you and me to pay for their care and then put through more regulations and restrictions to feel good about it?

Madness.

Last edited:
Using the "Dead Horse" implication while beating it further yourself is a bit hypocritical.

You're still missing the root of the problem.
WHY do we need all this extra "security" and are all these 'threats" real or fabricated and why?

Perhaps if the government did what it is supposed to do and did things that actually protect Americans and keep bad folks out we wouldn't need all these regulations. Instead, government is focusing on how to spy on average Americans which have no mal intent and no record. Why?
To what end? I'll tell you....control and centralization of power. All those TSA jobs are to make more people depend on government. But will it stop attackers? No.

If government REALLY cared about American lives don't you think there would be more focus on securing the borders, vetting immigrants and removing those who are here ILLEGALLY?

Instead, the President is moving to allow hundreds of thousands MORE Middle Eastern immigrants into America. WHY? We are already facing job shortages and infrastructure difficulties. Again, it's not about safety...it's about centralizing power and those advocating for stricter government controls are their pawns.

So the government will allow millions of potentially anti-American immigrants to come here, force you and me to pay for their care and then put through more regulations and restrictions to feel good about it?

Madness.
Sorry, thought we were talking about why a drone pilot flying in the middle of the night in our nation's most restricted airspace was fined $85.

<snip>We are. Stay on topic.</snip>

@JKDSensei Please follow your own advice.
As for everyone else... I have not yet met my warning point quota for the month, if you want to help me reach my goal keep up the nonsense. ;)

6356966299692942751289502574_Staying_On_Topic_.jpg

Is this thread not about the drone crash near the White House and the implications of government restrictions on the hobby?

It's your forum and I'll follow your rules. But I don't see where it's gone off topic.
I do see where there's a disagreement over issues of regulations.

Reactions: bbfpv
Your post about how the government makes to many regulations is a different topic than a drone flown in a no fly area of DC. Your friend in Cuba and the rest do not belong here. Maybe if the topic was about government overregulation and it was in 'Off Topic' it would be okay, but no tin this thread.

So again I implore you, and everyone else, please stay on topic

No problem. I made all the points I cared to anyway.
If someone ELSE brings the government regulations issue back up again, I'll take it to Off Topic.

I for one would REALLY like to take my Phantom to DC and video the Washington Monument and other DC historic sites. A ton of history there. Disappointing that it's so restricted now. Makes you wonder what places are next to be off limits.

Till then, enjoy the remaining places you can still fly....... while you can.....hurry!

Calling me a meathead? LOL.
I think it would also be obvious that if Frisbees are banned on the white house lawn, and **** tosses his Frisbee, he will be fined.
That may be "meathead" logic to you (SMH), but to the rest of us, that is common sense.
My "meathead" way of thinking tells me that **** could have avoided that fine had he researched where he can toss his Frisbee when visiting the White House.

I apologize in advance if I have upset you again with more logic and common sense.

I would respectfully suggest that ridiculous laws deserve to be challenged and/or ignored. Most laws associated with drones fall into that category. So, no, blindly following a law just because it's been passed isn't something I'd call common sense. And it isn't exactly the same type of culture that this nation was founded upon, either.

Of course you're free to take this all with a grain of salt. I'm one of those guys who believes that TSA is unnecessary (airport security was just as good, less costly, and less fondling pre-9/11), and that most government bureaucrats spend far too much time trying to figure out how to best play the dramatic role of Henny Penny.

Reactions: JKDSensei

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic