Drone crashes on Ellipse near White House

Reaction score
They are cranking up the frequency!

WASHINGTON — U.S. Park Police have confiscated a drone that crash-landed on the Ellipse, near the White House.

A police representative says the small drone was being operated from the grounds of the Washington Monument early Friday morning.

The drone crossed Constitution Avenue and crashed on the Ellipse, the grassy area between the Monument and the White House grounds.

Police confiscated the drone and issued federal tickets to the operators, whom police did not identify.

Airspace in downtown Washington is the most restricted in the country for passenger aircraft and unmanned vehicles, including drones, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

It is illegal to operate a drone within the Beltway without special permission.

What do you mean 'cranking up the frequency'?

We know people are violating, rules, guidelines, etc. as we read it here all the time.

Some get caught, some don't.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I hope they don't get here bird back. It's the best thing that can come out of it. If you are that stupid, you deserve to be out of our fold. Please take one for the team here.

Gotcha'! +1

There's a lot of folks clinging to the notion this [reports] is all a Govt. conspiracy to take away our drones.

Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers!

Did anybody spend a moment to do basic research? The "drone" in question is a F-182 palm-sized bird with a flight time of 5-7 minutes and a weight of 6 ounces. It is a $50 toy. It has no payload capability. It has no FPV capability. It doesn't have any range. It's a toy like you see flown at kiosks in malls, for pete's sakes.

Some guy was flying this tiny RC toy at under 100 feet in a huge grassy area by the Washington monument. It's an ATTI only bird, and if he got it turned around, or in the wind, he likely chopped power and went to pick it up a block and a half away, but hysteria and hype took over.

The President is at far greater safety risk if someone at a press conference hucks a shoe at him.

Bad enough the media gets salacious and free with little or no detail. Do we really want to make the same mistakes here in an effort to be the first to denounce others for something we don't know the details of? The ellipse is a big grassy field that does not even directly abut the White House grounds.

Did anybody spend a moment to do basic research? The "drone" in question is a F-182 palm-sized bird with a flight time of 5-7 minutes and a weight of 6 ounces. It is a $50 toy. It has no payload capability. It has no FPV capability. It doesn't have any range. It's a toy like you see flown at kiosks in malls, for pete's sakes.

Some guy was flying this tiny RC toy at under 100 feet in a huge grassy area by the Washington monument. It's an ATTI only bird, and if he got it turned around, or in the wind, he likely chopped power and went to pick it up a block and a half away, but hysteria and hype took over.

The President is at far greater safety risk if someone at a press conference hucks a shoe at him.

Bad enough the media gets salacious and free with little or no detail. Do we really want to make the same mistakes here in an effort to be the first to denounce others for something we don't know the details of? The ellipse is a big grassy field that does not even directly abut the White House grounds.

Bottom line, an idiot was flying a "toy" in an area where such "toys" are banned. Apparently the guy didn't spend a moment to do his basic research, and now is paying the consequences.

Did he endanger anyone? No.

Did he violate the law? Yes.

Banning flying Frisbees within 5 miles of the WH will be next, followed quickly by meathead posts that the ignorant disc-thrower should have researched where he can and can't fly his saucer in a federally compliant manner.
Calling me a meathead? LOL.
I think it would also be obvious that if Frisbees are banned on the white house lawn, and **** tosses his Frisbee, he will be fined.
That may be "meathead" logic to you (SMH), but to the rest of us, that is common sense.
My "meathead" way of thinking tells me that **** could have avoided that fine had he researched where he can toss his Frisbee when visiting the White House.

I apologize in advance if I have upset you again with more logic and common sense.

Reactions: dirkclod
IMG_20151010_141329.jpg

Reactions: JKDSensei
Yep, there are lot of folks who are just fine and dandy being meathead peasants and servants to big government. Freedom be damned. You are EXACLTY right...next it will be frisbees.

The monuments and landmarks in Washingrton DC belong to WE THE PEOPLE, not they the politicians. Fankly, I'm sick of weakness and cowardly people who willingly give our freedom away for a pinch of false "security". If the government was effective and OF THE PEOPLE we wouldn't need all these "SAFE" zones and "FREE SPEECH" zones.

"Common sense" (please) people have ruined this great nation with their cowardice.

Thank God for those few of you left with a brain and independent thinking.

This may get deleted but so be it. I said it and I meant every word of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SENC
A drone is a drone, no matter how small or big. A Prohibited Area is a Prohibited Area, no matter what you are operating. FAA regulations pertain to any man-made object that leaves the ground. Black and white, no grey area. Do they really care if you fly a $50 toy on a farm in the country? No, but that's not a Prohibited Area either.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
They're getting "very" concerned about the threat from the peasants up there at Control Central. Work will begin soon on walling off everything run by the politicians and those in "power". If you have "common sense", you won't protest or dissent..................... you'll go along with it or be called a terrorist. Sad days ahead.

FAA regulations pertain to any man-made object that leaves the ground. Black and white, no grey area.
So no football games in DC anymore (if FAA regs truly apply to every man made objectobject that leaves the ground) or games of catch in backyards? It has been a long time since I've visited, but if truly no grey area I'm assuming the Air and Space Museum is no longer selling paper airplane books or wind-up airplane kits. ****, those were awesome times watching kids and parents enjoying on the monument lawn.

So no football games in DC anymore (if FAA regs truly apply to every man made objectobject that leaves the ground) or games of catch in backyards? It has been a long time since I've visited, but if truly no grey area I'm assuming the Air and Space Museum is no longer selling paper airplane books or wind-up airplane kits. ****, those were awesome times watching kids and parents enjoying on the monument lawn.
Only if they cut the "hang-time" below 3 seconds. :D

A drone is a drone, no matter how small or big. A Prohibited Area is a Prohibited Area, no matter what you are operating. FAA regulations pertain to any man-made object that leaves the ground. Black and white, no grey area. Do they really care if you fly a $50 toy on a farm in the country? No, but that's not a Prohibited Area either.

The problem is not valid prohibited areas or drone size. The problem is "feel good" restrictions that actually accomplish nothing of value (except maybe special interest). The DC drone laws were passed for one reason....the special interests of politicians.

Read up on the last few years of EPA actions across the nation.

So how many people do you think would actually bring a drone to the Washington Monument with mal intent? Must everyone live a life of restricted freedoms because of the slim chance of a handful of nuts? Why not just eliminate the nuts (with due process)? Maybe the agenda is not to protect....but to restrict.

I'm not defending idiots. I'm defending freedom for the vast majority.

Tyranny of Silence
The Tyranny of Silence

Reactions: kirk2579
The problem is not valid prohibited areas or drone size. The problem is "feel good" restrictions that actually accomplish nothing of value (except maybe special interest). The DC drone laws were passed for one reason....the special interests of politicians.

Read up on the last few years of EPA actions across the nation.

So how many people do you think would actually bring a drone to the Washington Monument with mal intent? Must everyone live a life of restricted freedoms because of the slim chance of a handful of nuts? Why not just eliminate the nuts (with due process)? Maybe the agenda is not to protect....but to restrict.

I'm not defending idiots. I'm defending freedom for the vast majority.

Tyranny of Silence
The Tyranny of Silence
I'm sorry the freedom to fly your toy on the White House lawn was taken from you. Truly I am.

I would guess about 90% of the people we read about doing wrong have no clue about the rules NFZ they stop at a store see a toy go play with the new toy . With that said the FAA should make the manufacture put something on the box . Case and point a kid down the road got a UAV for his B-Day he was buzzing houses people I walked over and told him to get his dad I told the dad how he could get him self in trouble gave the dad the info told him to look it up . Couple days later he thanked me because he had no idea . Unfortunately this is the mindset of people today they buy it at a toy store so how can this get me in hot water it's a toy .

I'm sorry the freedom to fly your toy on the White House lawn was taken from you. Truly I am.

I'm sure you are burdened to understand beyond that depth. I'm sorry about that. And show me where I said flying on the WH lawn would be ok. I didn't. I said Washington Monument. Close, but not the same.

I would guess about 90% of the people we read about doing wrong have no clue about the rules NFZ they stop at a store see a toy go play with the new toy . With that said the FAA should make the manufacture put something on the box . Case and point a kid down the road got a UAV for his B-Day he was buzzing houses people I walked over and told him to get his dad I told the dad how he could get him self in trouble gave the dad the info told him to look it up . Couple days later he thanked me because he had no idea . Unfortunately this is the mindset of people today they buy it at a toy store so how can this get me in hot water it's a toy .

Yes, with freedom comes responsibility. I have always maintained that. It is the responsibility of parents to teach their by-products right from wrong. Our govt has played a major role in preventing that and discouraging it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4