Drone crash

Yeah, I understand. I am a very cautious flyer. To the point my wife was wondering if I was going to ever really fly it. It took a month for me to get the nerve to toggle off p mode. I always go up vertically then level my cam, then spin around to be sure I am the highest thing around. Stuff happens, and it happened to me. It is what it is. Just hope dji understands that. If not, I will request a box for the 3 extra Batteries and accessories that will be in my way.

As dal stated, brushless motors have no physical contact so they never just lock up like a typical RC car motor. If a brushless motor is going to fail, it will develop over time and you will start to notice problems on the ground, it is pretty rare for a brushless motor to make a bird fall.
When dal says brains, meaning the ESC unit was the cause of the fall, I have first hand experience with an ESC failure dropping my bird.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Lol, I took the brains as in mine. I apologize for the retaliation. My bad dal. I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

Finally dji calls me with the sudden question of how would I like to pay for the repair. So because I don't have flight data on my phone and the data was destroyed in the crash, I am at fault. So much for a warranty.

It concerns me that people update the Firmware and then crash and the resulting impact means there is no retrievable data for DJI to analyse and so the customer gets lumped with a bill. I might hold off updating for now.

Sorry for your loss mate, are you going to pay the repair or get a new one and use the old one for parts if any are useable.

I paid for the repair at a discounted price, because I wanted closure. I do not agree that I should have to pay because the flight data on the drone was damaged or irretrievable. They split it down the middle because they couldn't prove I crashed it and I couldn't prove it was their fault. It sucks. My drone was totalled as stated in the op. They are sending a replacement drone and remote. Also replacement props.

Wish I had taken pictures of the damage, but I didn't think the big company would do this to me. Later I read the warranty requirements, wow they have a lot of loopholes. I stated that there was no way I hit anything, I was higher than any tree, powerlines or building in the area. (i was on the edge of a soccer field) So he manipulated what I was saying and said I said I was flying around trees and buildings. And because I used the word crashed, "crashes" aren't warrantied. Gotta love it.

@Dal So I flew it wrong? Lol come on. A bird dropped something in the motor? It was either up right flying, or in the hard case. Nothing in between until the crash. Wonder why they sell replacement motors? Guess they are trying to get over on people.

Lol no the "brains" of the drone. Not your brain. Haha
From just reading this forum. Motor sales are largely from crashing drones and bending the motor shafts. As for stuff getting in your motor also not that uncommon. I landed on what looked like clean road and I had dirt on my RC/phone screen which was about 4 feet of the ground and dirt on my drone. So what most do is whipe the dirt off the shell go on, but maybe something got in the motor. I've kicked up stuff landing in grass I didn't know was there. Not saying this happen to you but it's not impossible

Last edited:
All in all you had to pay around what $200-250? (A Guess, don't get mad if I'm wrong) and all is well again. Could have happened over water/remote location ect. with no quad and no flight data they don't help you at all. So I know it feels shiddy to have to pay as you believe it was a mechanical/software error. But you're flying again. I know DJI has mixed cust. Service satisfaction and I agree that they could do things better but put yourself in their shoes as a business and you get a smashed bird with no data and customer's word of mouth that it's nothing they did…. DJI did something which is better then nothing in these circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Happysnapper79
Mine did exactly the same thing while RTH. Sent it back and they repaired. Obviously they are aware of this problem

Had to pay $289, but better than retail. I was thinking the same thing as far as a water loss. At least I had a corpse to send back lol. I will be back up and running hopefully by the end of the week. And once again dal, sorry about getting shiddy with you.

Reactions: Dal
perhaps the replacement was a blessing. perhaps you got one that will actually fly more than 1000 feet.

Very true. Will keep you guys in the loop. Everyone might want to crash then lol.

Just received my replacement p3s. Took it for a test drive this evening. Flies great. Noticed this one took a while to "warm up". My old one did not warm up at all. Tested out all of the f-mode options. All are fine. Thinking about using litchi. Would that void my warrantee?

After reading these posts, I think that I will NEVER send my bird to DJI for anything. If it breaks, I'll send it to Neary. They seem to have a reputation for doing the right thing when it comes to repairing your bird.

I bought my P3A right before Christmas and never have updated it. It has flown great except for my first crash last weekend but that was due to my error and a prop flying off. It was apparently stripped enough that it came off. It felt tight on pre flight (double checked) but I should have just tossed the prop and put a new one on. Birds fine though. Works great. Haven't updated my P3S either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers