Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. MichaelS

2. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Looking at their website, they are very light on detail and don't do much to explain exactly what they have to offer.
    It might be good but their website doesn't convince me.
    Their FAQ doesn't explain anything about the content they are presenting.
    I think it's a bit slick and aimed at suckers that know nothing about drones.

MichaelS and WilsonFlyer like this.
  3. MichaelS

Thanks for the feedback. If you own a registered drone, which I do, the total cost is $199. They have quite a few testimonials from attendees, which are of course, all good. I have googled using terms like fraud and ripoff and really can't find any negative comments.

From the website:
    "Diego Rodriguez, the president and founder of the Power Marketing Consultants Network, the largest network of professional marketing agencies in the world, will teach you the most effective business and marketing strategies for your Drone Business. Whether you’re a seasoned entrepreneur, or you’ve never started a business before, you will learn exactly what you need to become profitable in the drone business.

And Damon Darnall, the Drone Boss, and the founder of the Sky Eye Network, will teach you how to fly your drone, show you how to obtain your FAA exemption, and he’ll share his expertise on how to position yourself in your community as a drone professional so you can start getting clients immediately. The Drone Boss has with over 20 years of experience flying RC planes and Drones."

I already know how to fly my drone but it is the business aspect I am most interested in.

4. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

That one was something that set me off.
    It looks like they marked up the price to $500 and then offer a fake discount (FAA voucher) to make it sound like a really good deal.
    FAA voucher? What's that all about.
    I don't think the FAA subsidises the course $300 for anyone that paid $5 for drone registration.
    That's what I meant about it looking slick.

MichaelS, Jussaguy and WilsonFlyer like this.
  5. MichaelS

Yep, very true.

They say, "If you attend Drone Command Live and do not feel like it was worth your investment,
    you can receive a complete REFUND. There is no risk."

Another thing is the room rate at the venue: $160 a night. ouch.

EDIT: It also says, " Drone Command Live is not associated with nor endorsed by the FAA."

#5 MichaelS, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  6. MPPilot

I tend to agree. The line "Drone Pilot Certificate of Completion" sounds fancy but is meaningless.

MichaelS likes this.
  7. MichaelS

Yep, I agree. What I need to spend my money on is the part 107 license.

#7 MichaelS, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  8. MPPilot

That or an existing 333 exemption is the first thing you need for a commercial business. I agree that business plans are important, but I think what they are marketing is themselves, and a bunch of packaged information that you could probably get by doing some on-line research or by taking a more in depth business course at your community college.

9. MichaelS

100% agree. Thanks.

10. Pharm

Is the part 170 cheaper than the part 107 ? ;)

11. MichaelS

I saw what you did there. I have dyslexia! o_O

#11 MichaelS, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  12. Jussaguy

Meh from looking at it myself. Save your money and buy a couple business books if you don't know how to start a business.

If these guys were good at running an aerial photography course, they wouldn't be spending their time as the market emerges praying on people who want to do the same.

I suspect the people that fly and start their own businesses know more than these people.

Also, what they purport to teach costs more than $199 to learn if you are going to learn it that way.

Total Trump University for drones. Save your money and practice flying and read about business or take a class is my suggestion.

MichaelS likes this.
  13. Jussaguy

Wish they would have came. We love a good challenge. ;)

No seriously, glad you came to your senses. Sometimes we want something quick and fast and in reality, none of it is hard, it just takes desire and practice.

If you have those two things, you'll do what you want. The more desire, and the more practice and some natural talent (an eye for composition) surely doesn't hurt. As far as running a business. I never was taught but I've run several throughout my life. I'm a "learn on my own" kind of guy though. I would prefer to read from people that have been vetted as good rather than put my money where I don't even know who is teaching the thing.

Meta had it dead on when he said it "looks too slick". He and I don't often see eye to eye so when we do, I would beware. Lol.

14. MichaelS

Well Guys, I spoke to the Owner of the Seminar, Damon, for about an hour on the phone last night and have decided to go. I will take pics and videos and let you know my opinions. It's true his website is lacking in details but Damon gave me a lot more details over the phone. And he has a lot of Larger Drones that I will get a chance to fly. So for $199 even if I get just a few gems it might just be worth it.

15. August West

Is it just me or does "the drone boss" bear a strong resemblance to Kenny Powers? :)

WilsonFlyer likes this.
  16. Stephen D

Did anyone here yet go to this? It's in Seattle in a couple of days. $199 seems reasonably priced for a 3-day 9AM-6PM teaching event. I took a more-expensive course from a local maybe a year ago. I just hope it isn't a lot of Buy-this-for-your-marketing discount-available-only-now pressure.... I wonder how long we'll get to fly. :)

17. MichaelS

I am going to the Seattle event on Thursday.

Stephen D likes this.
  18. fotoRon

Anyone know where to get a study guide or tech manual for the part 107 license exam?

19. MichaelS

Are you going, Stephen?

20. Xanth

Since this thread died just as people said they were going, I'm going to infer that it was a good experience, and no one felt a need to come here and kvetch. I'm going this week, so if you don't hear anything else from me, you can assume I was right.