Drone came "close" to 2 planes in July

Reaction score
http://nypost.com/2014/09/18/drones-cam ... a-in-july/

"The drones were spotted by pilots of the passenger planes buzzing around above Downtown Brooklyn, about 12 miles from the airport, sources said."

"Two days later, at about 8 p.m., the pilot of a US Airways flight also flying at 4,500 feet noticed a different drone coming toward the aircraft."

"The NYPD’s Aviation Unit was notified in both incidents, but cops on the ground were unable to locate the drones or their pilots."

really?
One was 12 miles AWAY from an airport and another was allegedly 4500ft.

Lol. I'm sure a phantom could make it up that high. Coming down might be a little quicker than expected though ;)

Many of these stories are news plants to keep the public riled up about civilian drone usage. The gov'mt wants to corner and ban it to prevent the loss of control over information.

dragonash said:
and could a passenger jet going so fast make out a small drone like that from a distance?
these things dont add up

For a long time it was "UFOs." After 9/11 pilots, began seeing "rockets" more often. Now, they will be keyed to seeing "drones."

When you see something, but aren't really sure what it is, your mind often interprets it as something you fear or expect to see. It's why you might carefully step over a pile of clothes in a semi-dark closet because you thought it was the dog sleeping or you jump when a broken branch on the sidewalk does an imitation of a snake.

-- Roger

dragonash said:
and could a passenger jet going so fast make out a small drone like that from a distance?
these things dont add up

I am a commercial pilot - and even at only 120-150 knots I can't see a large goose until just before the impact. A goose can often weigh 15 pounds and they rarely, very rarely damage the aircraft. A small drone like the DJI would at best be a bug splat.

I really don't know why the fear-mongers persist.

Preaching to the converted here, you should be telling the idiots who publish this BS.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20