Drone at 11,000 feet?

Last edited:
Seriously what kind of a moron would even think about flying that high,wow people amaze me
It's bad enough that journalists and civil aviation authorities are too ignorant of drone performance and limitations that they take reports like this seriously.
But drone users too?
The probability that this was a recreational drone is very, very small.

Reactions: Jackson The Asian
It's bad enough that journalists and civil aviation authorities are too ignorant of drone performance and limitations that they take reports like this seriously.
But drone users too?
The probability that this was a recreational drone is very, very small.
I'd go more with impossible.

Seriously what kind of a moron would even think about flying that high,wow people amaze me

Sent from my SM-T550 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Well there are people on this forum that don't take FAA rules seriously so I wouldn't doubt someone flying at high altitudes, the Phantom 3 and 4 are rated at 6000m height so with someone using a boosted controller and some how getting around the altitude limiter then it could be possible.

Well there are people on this forum that don't take FAA rules seriously so I wouldn't doubt someone flying at high altitudes, the Phantom 3 and 4 are rated at 6000m height so with someone using a boosted controller and some how getting around the altitude limiter then it could be possible.
Could it also had been a fly away stuck in climb mode? So not under someone's control.

OK ... that Airbus at 11,000ft would be at reduced airspeed but still well over 300mph ...

Are you really going to see a Phantom or similar at such speed AND be able to assess distance from the wing tip ?

It was not long ago a claim was for a Drone passing in front of an aircraft on finals to Heathrow ... turned out to be black bin-liner bag caught in a thermal !!

Nigel

Reactions: Jackson The Asian
This is a real news site, so the airbus saw something?
Like @solentlife said. Even if the "drone" got that high, the plane is still going at 300ish mph. I've topped my Phantom a 45. Someone saw a bag, a bird, something, but not a drone flying along side the plane. Maybe they were disgruntled, maybe they were bored, or maybe they heard the stories, but there was no drone.

Reactions: Tommymonkey
Um hate to break it to you but it happens, This guys inspire lost contact with its transmitter on its very first flight and Flew straight up past 400 feet.

What intrigues me with that video ..... I was not aware that it could reverse the props to fly inverted !! It appears to be hanging there for a while inverted unless its so high that when falling - perspective doesn't change enough.

Nigel

I just want to know what batteries were in such a drone, that's 10,500 ft. agl...
As a pilot myself I am always (more often than not) encountering balloons floating along when I am up cruising around in a 152. I used to have fun hitting them but figured I would have propeller balance problems and cooling blocked if I kept doing that. I think it possible that the crew saw a mylar helium balloon with a magenta color float by. But that would not be news, would it?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik