Drone-assisted hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul K said:
In Canada discharging gun from moving platform is prohibited
Actually in Canada handguns are prohibited. Just seems safer this way. Have to mount a shotgun on your P2V. Or better still two shotguns. Best to be sure whatever your gonna kill is really, really dead.

In Canada handguns are restricted not prohibited , but my point is any firearms and moving platform ( car,boat drone) do not go together period.

In January of this year there were 1,300 reported crimes across the whole UK involving "weapons", which includes illegal blades, or legal one used illegally, as well as guns. In the same month there were 5,600 reported thefts of bicycles.

I do quite like living in a country where I have to worry a lot more about my bike than being shot (and the figures are approximate and from memory so might be +/- a couple of hundred either way).

The argument that guns don't kill people, people kill people is sort if right (perhaps with the exception of kid getting hold of them and shooting themselves accidentally) except of course having a gun makes the likelihood of someone who's attacking you actually killing you a lot higher than if they didn't have one - and from further away.

Just thought I'd stir the hornets' nest before I go on holiday. :)

Today I flew my Phantom over my home in Vegas to test my Taco gimbal, a nice part of Vegas I may add, however I swear someone took a shot at it. I was about 150 feet up and maybe 200ft horizontally when I heard what to me sounded like a gunshot or very load crack. I have never experienced any gun crime in the US in my three years here from the UK. Before you say it was maybe a car backfiring trust me I know a gunshot when I hear it. I was filming at the time and as a bonus I was filming down vertically, I have reviewed the film but unfortunately was unable to see the s**t that tried to down my hard earned cash.

I am neither for or against guns or drones when it comes to their use in hunting, I am though very happy that I live in a country with a miniscule amount of guns and that shows in the death rates. I'm very proud that only very small special divisions of our police force have to carry guns aptly named the armed response unit. I have 2 points here though, what have guns got to do with our RC TOYS? And I thought this was a place to discuss and learn about our TOYS in an educated and respectful manner with each other? Not some of the crap that has been posted on this post.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
I am neither for or against guns or drones when it comes to their use in hunting, I am though very happy that I live in a country with a miniscule amount of guns and that shows in the death rates. I'm very proud that only very small special divisions of our police force have to carry guns aptly named the armed response unit. I have 2 points here though, what have guns got to do with our RC TOYS? And I thought this was a place to discuss and learn about our TOYS in an educated and respectful manner with each other? Not some of the crap that has been posted on this post.
Totally agree. The nice thing about this forum is you can chat quite happily with someone you would detest if you met them in a bar ! Let us steer clear of politics and religion.

(by the way, I hate hunting and the blood lust that goes with it and think all guns should be banned apart from national defence forces) - peace & love to all ;)

As I said, whats that got to do with us flying our RC TOYS?
Think you might be on the wrong website?

I do think this thread got a bit off-track with the gun talk. Yes guns are used in hunting, but I think the article that the original post referred to had more to do with using a uav as a spotting device, which honestly I don't have a problem with. Yes it's new technology but people have been hunting the back country for years using vehicles to get in and out, high-powered spotting scopes to locate game and plan a stalk, and high-powered rifle scopes to ensure an accurate & humane kill. As a hunter and someone who flies one of these things, I really don't understand the problem with using one as a spotting device, not only to hunt an area, but to scout an area for well worn trails and topographical features.

While I can't see myself actually using the device for a hunt if I did it wouldn't be a cake walk. One would have to fly this noisy device into an area undetected, scan that area using a very low resolution FPV screen where it would be difficult to make out the difference between patch of brush and an animal, perhaps record some HD video and play it back to get a better look at the spot. And if by chance they happen to make their quarry, they would still have to stalk close enough to make a killing shot, hoping that the animal didn't move on or didn't detect them en-route. Sounds pretty easy?

I think the quick-reaction to outlaw the use of these things as a spotting device kind of underscores the fear and ignorance regarding these "toys". Hell, it's underscored on this thread with the talk about mounting a weapon on the aircraft (which would be quite a feat to pull off with the consumer products out there--I mean look how long it took to get a decent gimbal for the tiny camera?).

For all of the people who think rules to outlaw these things for the above mentioned use are great, whether it's because you don't like guns or don't like hunting or like hunting but are some kind of purest, be careful what you wish for.

I'll stir the pot some more. Here is one of my other toys...

Bushmaster/Remington ACR Enhanced 5.56

pa9ygynu.jpg

Fun!

P.S. I actually don't hunt. I'm a softie for animals. I just enjoy shooting.

Nice gun!

And to the ones saying we are hurting the hobby.
Remember where Drones come from? Certainly not from a pacifist movement.

Anyway, for me its just as rewarding shooting a nice picture as other stuff !
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6vEnn0_b_A[/youtube]

Here is one of my Barrett .416's! I just need to build a bigger quad to fit this on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 437
pault said:
Coreyk said:
Here is one of my Barrett .416's! I just need to build a bigger quad to fit this on.

Just looked that rifle up - it's not cheap !

No not cheap! The semi auto ones I have are even more. Lots of fun tho! 1000 yards+ all day long. The computer on top of the scope makes it too easy anyone can do it.....takes all the guess work out.

In theory I agree with the regulators on this one. But how come it is legal for our government to use drones to hunt and kill insurgents?

Coreyk said:
pault said:
Coreyk said:

Just looked that rifle up - it's not cheap !

No not cheap! The semi auto ones I have are even more. Lots of fun tho! 1000 yards+ all day long. The computer on top of the scope makes it too easy anyone can do it.....takes all the guess work out.
The absolute opposite of my gun which is a very basic Chinese air gun. Quite nicely made though with beech stock and i have rebuilt it to bring it up in power and improve the action. Have to be very careful in the UK as we have a strict 12ftlbs limit so although it could go more than that i had to use a small port to keep it under. As said earlier I do not agree with hunting but mine is quite accurate to 25 yards for target shooting - a bit different to yours which is accurate 40 times further ;)

Coreyk said:

That's a beauty! I'm planning to buy a Barrett M82A1 stamped "M107" on it. The problem is 50BMG is so powerful you have to find a safe range to shoot it at! Lol. I shot one on my friends farmland at an old truck and it went through the concrete block set in front, the truck, engine, cab, bed, and out the back of the bed! :-o

The other problem is the current price and availability of 50BMG. $5 a round gets pricey quick.

Scottrod said:
Coreyk said:

That's a beauty! I'm planning to buy a Barrett M82A1 stamped "M107" on it. The problem is 50BMG is so powerful you have to find a safe range to shoot it at! Lol. I shot one on my friends farmland at an old truck and it went through the concrete block set in front, the truck, engine, cab, bed, and out the back of the bed! :-o

The other problem is the current price and availability of 50BMG. $5 a round gets pricey quick.

The m82a1/m107 are my favorite .50's. I have a couple of each and absolutely love to shoot them. General giants really. Just got my suppersor for them....waiting to go try it out still. Hopefully be able to shoot it without ear muffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik