Drone and Airplane close call!

Or 400 ft - which is the legal limit.... :)
Is it actually the legal limit or just recommended. I fly mine at 400 feet and below usually because I always heard that.

Personally I don't believe it I think SOME people and pilots will lie and make this crap up just to help regulate our hobby / recreation and or place more control over us. I've been a a responsible RC pilot since the 80s. more planes are hit with bird strikes than our "drones" they are called now days. People have just gone crazy with how they think these days.
Most pilots that I know are into RC themselves and like drones. All of the people that I work with really want to buy phantoms after seeing mine.

He could never see a drone flying 200 feet away either!
When I am flying on final approach I can see the RC models at the flying field that is under just near the airport that I fly into pretty often.

Pilots have nothing to gain by reporting a drone sighting....
I don't know why anyone would think pilots are making up stories, or creating false reports, there is nothing to gain other than safety.

To cover up a error and use it as an excuse?

I believe the authorities fighting the ground fire on the California highway to Las Vegas, screwed up and were late to react. Then used the excuse they were delayed by 6 imaginary drones.
To which not one photo, video or eyewitness, other than the fire authorities, has been posted or interviewed.

One on scene news reporter, who was covering the story, pulled a Phantom 2 out of his mobile news van, and stated "...the reports were of a drones similar to this one..." ...hmmmm?
I saw that report as I watched the news and was shocked...such a coincidence that the reporter has a drone in his van.

Just sayin'....Don't believe all the media that's being spoon fed to the masses.

Last edited:
To cover up a error and use it as an excuse?

I believe the authorities fighting the ground fire on the California highway to Las Vegas, screwed up and were late to react. Then used the excuse they were delayed by 6 imaginary drones.
To which not one photo, video or eyewitness, other than the fire authorities, has be posted or interviewed.

One on scene news reporter, who was covering the story, pulled a Phantom 2 out of his mobile news van, and stated "...the reports were of a drones similar to this one..." ...hmmmm?
I saw that report as I watched the news and was shocked...such a coincidence that the reporter has a drone in his van.

Just sayin'....Don't believe all the media that's being spoon fed to the masses.
As I said before... "wild" fires are business! They are intentionally allowed to burn "out of control" to drag them out to increase federal assistance money. I have been called off of the line myself because we were doing to much good.Its all a **** game!

Reactions: Darron Brown
When I am flying on final approach I can see the RC models at the flying field that is under just near the airport that I fly into pretty often.
Thats fair, but you could never guess as to the size or altitude those planes are flying if you couldnt recognize a individual models

Reactions: mmee1992
Hmmm could have been a UFO now they are calling them drones. 4000 ft. Common. Get real!
You do know there are other commercial UAVs besides DJI? And homemade?
I've always laughed at conspiracy theories but now I'm beginning to wonder if some savvy commercial aerial(plane/helo) operators have figured out a way to get the feds to ground or restrict UAVs to eliminate competition. I have a hard time believing there are that many stupid people intentionally flying near airports/approach paths (cue conspiracy music of choice here).
Nah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: snerd
That's not true if you have experience working with distances every day. If you have two good eyes you can estimate distance without knowing the size of an object, especially if it's flying by which provides more 3D perspective for your eyes. But the estimate may be off 30-40% off, depending on the conditions and lighting. Pilots are generally the best at estimating distance, given their experience ....

That is a common fallacy. Pilots, like people in general, are not good observers. And, in the sky, there is nothing to provide a reference for distance.

Allan Handry's study of "trained observers" showed that pilots are not very good at judging size or distance and frequently misidentify what they see.

Experienced UFO investigators realize that pilots, who instinctively and quite properly interpret visual phenomena in the most hazardous terms, are not dispassionate observers. For pilots, a split-second diagnosis can be a matter of life or death — and so they're inclined to overestimate the potential threats posed by what they see. --
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/38852385/...ace/t/ufo-book-based-questionable-foundation/

Even UFO researchers more open to believing UFO reports, such as J. Allen Hynek, agree. Hynek wrote "Surprisingly, commercial and military pilots appear to make relatively poor witnesses."

Reports of UFOs reportly seen from multiple aircraft turned out to be lights on boats. A helicopter crew recorded a "rocket launch" that was really an aircraft's contrail. A military pilot lost his life chasing Venus. History has shown that pilots have a very hard time identifying what they see.

Last edited:
As I said before... "wild" fires are business! They are intentionally allowed to burn "out of control" to drag them out to increase federal assistance money. I have been called off of the line myself because we were doing to much good.Its all a **** game!

Finally.. .someone that sees through the BS..... I said this in public once and was called anti-American... and how could I possibly be insulting the 'heroes' that fight our fires everyday.

I sat in a "seattle coffeeshop" out in the north bend area and heard the group next to me say they weren't going out to a fire until it reached a certain size, because if they put it out too quick, they wouldn't be called out for the next one and cut into their paycheck.

yes, these 'fires' are big business... many of them left on purpose in order to make them cash cows for the 'heroes' that are working 16 hour days, 8 hours of it being overtime.

I wish they'd do an article on that instead of quadcopters.

Just wondering how long can any quad operate at 4000ft before running dry. The P3 is out of question I guess.

No one has been killed to my knowledge by a private drone thus far........Compare that to the MILLIONS who have died by gunfire in the world. This crap is driven by sensationalism via the stupid media and an ignorant public. Keep flooding the news with positive uses and attributes of drones and lets hope they offset each other.

Reactions: Joao Carlos

With the ground below them that's not at all hard to believe. Now take that white drone put it up at the same height as the plane, with just sky and clouds behind it, and I'd be very surprised if it was as easy to spot.
Mine is black, and I can lose it against the clouds at just 100 - 200m from me it's a micro-spec, and I know exactly where to be looking for it, and what to be looking for.

I still just find it very unlikely that a pilot would see one of OUR types of drones at that height, at that speed. But God only knows what the government and other forces have up there. The sizes I've seen described in some of these pilot's reports rules out almost any commercial hobbiest drones I know of.

Reactions: Joao Carlos
Just to make a side comparison... I am a pilot and also amateur astronomer. I have built and used green lasers for decades in astronomy. I had the "opportunity" to have been targeted by green lasers in flight close to cities (~3000ft alt) and it seemed less powerfull than a very very dim flashlight, I could only tell by the light green cast on the ceiling... totally unimpressed. The same applies here, if an idiot is sitting near the approach of a runway and shines a laser into the pilots eye, sure an accident could occur and it's dangerous, that person should be arrested for sure. But most of the reports I hear are just too exaggerated... pilots at cruise altitudes panicked because of a laser thousands of feet away. Sure, the moron pointing it at an airplane should be educated, so as the pilot, who should be more worried about other stuff... It's not the death star you know?

No one has been killed to my knowledge by a private drone thus far........Compare that to the MILLIONS who have died by gunfire in the world. This crap is driven by sensationalism via the stupid media and an ignorant public. Keep flooding the news with positive uses and attributes of drones and lets hope they offset each other.

Dont worry, I bet soon someone will (unfortunately) be killed by a drone, or cause a major accident etc and the media will have a great day. Its always like that, profiting from people doing idiotic things.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20