Drone and Airplane close call!

OK that misses the point. Yes, it was animated from a still shot, and was admittedly not the best choice to use as an example, which is why I said it was not the one I saw. Seriously, I live here ... I know the people here, and if you don't think that people would fly drones over runways in order to capture "the shot", then you must live in quite the little paradise. Think about it. Were the audio reports from pilots falsified? Some elaborate plot to prevent us from flying? Sorry, but we don't do Fox "news"here. Idiots are idiots and do what they do in every part of the country, but denying reality is a deliberate and purposeful choice in the pursuit of a desired belief. I prefer and accept reality, as I'm sure you do, too.

Last edited:
Here we go agin :D:p:D:p
If the OP seen it I might be leave it ;)
The highest repot I seen was 10,000' :eek:

Reactions: dirkclod
Huh? One of the pilots reported it on the runway at about 30 feet. Not sure what you were attempting to communicate.

Emojis are nice, though. All of them.

Not sure what you were attempting to communicate.

He was referring to other reports, just like you. The report this thread is based on is at 4000 feet. The one from San Diego the other day, the pilot said it was 4 FOOT by 6 FOOT. That's a pretty big quad. Reality is based on facts, not just someone saying it happened.

He was referring to other reports, just like you. The report this thread is based on is at 4000 feet. The one from San Diego the other day, the pilot said it was 4 FOOT by 6 FOOT. That's a pretty big quad. Reality is based on facts, not just someone saying it happened.

Point taken, but I was beginning to catch a whiff of denial to this phenomenon in general, to which I would only say ... seriously? We ALL know how stupid some people can be, and if you live in NY for any length of time, you will have seen all of what this world has to offer in the A -> Z of human behavior.

And just because some reports are false doesn't mean some aren't true. I think if we stop making excuses, we will know that yes, some people are flying near airports, and that is making it harder for all of us

Huh? One of the pilots reported it on the runway at about 30 feet. Not sure what you were attempting to communicate.

Emojis are nice, though. All of them.
Not knocking you bud . These threads come up a lot I mean a lot in everyone it turns into a disagreement one way or the other . It's cool good for the mind :)
One thing I am 99.9% sure of is that everyone that posts in this type of thread are doing there best to be safe even tho their are disagements . I think we are all little upset because of what the outcome might be .
Yea the emoji's come with the reply box try them out ;) yep I'm a 44 year old kid .

Reactions: dirkclod
Not knocking you bud . These threads come up a lot I mean a lot in everyone it turns into a disagreement one way or the other . It's cool good for the mind :)
One thing I am 99.9% sure of is that everyone that posts in this type of thread are doing there best to be safe even tho their are disagements . I think we are all little upset because of what the outcome might be .
Yea the emoji's come with the reply box try them out ;) yep I'm a 44 year old kid .

:) I think we should be alert as to what the outcome might be ... which is why we should issue smackdowns for those who fly like jerks and who put the hobby in jeopardy. PA is as good at smackin' down as NY ... almost. ;-) I'm a 58 year old kid. Nice to meet you ...

Yup like I said I m convinced there are SOME pilots out there stirring up crap stories for what ever their gain maybe THEY make equally stupid mistakes or decisions on the ground SO don't point the splinter in someones eye till you pull the tree out of yours! At the speeds they are going really ! I've talked to pilots and they have basically the same reply they are too busy tending to what's going on in the cockpit. So when a bird comes close or strikes a plane who's in trouble? Just tired of hearing a all the bad rap we are getting when in reality there isn't one thing in this world mankind hasn't abused.

.............. let's not let this sort of "scepticism" become as ridiculous as that of climate change.
Oh, you managed another swipe at those of us who see global warming for the hoax/scam it is. Keep bringing up politics, and you'll discover that there are as many who think differently than you as you seem to think there are who agree with you on certain subjects. The climate has changed since the beginning of time, it's what it does.

Oh, you managed another swipe at those of us who see global warming for the hoax/scam it is. Keep bringing up politics, and you'll discover that there are as many who think differently than you as you seem to think there are who agree with you on certain subjects. The climate has changed since the beginning of time, it's what it does.

Yeah, all the carbon emissions we release has nothing to do with it!

They released that paper the other day, over 650 "reported" sightings this year. 650 sighted drones............. not one photo, not one video, not any one instance of "any" verifiable evidence. C'mon, man! Are you pulling my leg?! Now, I "do" believe it's happening, but at nowhere near the end-of-the-world rate the media is regurgitating to a captive audience! Maybe pilots should be made aware of something called a "cell phone?! They can be carried in a shirt pocket even! Or pants pocket! There are just way too many unverifiable "sightings" for this to be anything other than 2 things..................... a well-concerted effort to get rid of those stupid hobby droners, or a lot of over-imagination on the part of a whole lot of airline pilots.
My cell takes at least 5 seconds to take a photo shoot, in jets you have maybe 2 seconds before it's gone at those speeds.

Another one to put the brakes on. Sorry, mods. :D
You give man way too much credit for being able to alter the climate. And we were supposed to be underwater by now according to Al Gore lol!

Let's just stick to the Phantoms Haha... Mods like to delete the silliest post here.

Pilots have nothing to gain by reporting a drone sighting other than concern for their flight and other aircraft as lives are at stake. And for all those doubters, for your information, with the many thousands of hours pilots have in the air, Yes a pilot can judge height and distance, just like you would be able to closely judge the speed of your car without looking at the speedo. It comes with experience. And a proximate stationary object or an object moving in a different diverging direction relative to the aeroplane is easier to spot than say a craft moving at a similar speed and converging direction.
As for photos, conflicts with Drone's will be at lower altitudes, i.e during Takeoff, descent, approach and landing phase of flight. Pilots are preoccupied with flying their aircraft, the safest thing to do would be to report the sighting to ATC and have them pass on the investigation, not pull out a camera or phone.
I don't know why anyone would think pilots are making up stories, or creating false reports, there is nothing to gain other than safety.

Reactions: mmee1992
Pilots have nothing to gain by reporting a drone sighting other than concern for their flight and other aircraft as lives are at stake. And for all those doubters, for your information, with the many thousands of hours pilots have in the air, Yes a pilot can judge height and distance, just like you would be able to closely judge the speed of your car without looking at the speedo. It comes with experience. And a proximate stationary object or an object moving in a different diverging direction relative to the aeroplane is easier to spot than say a craft moving at a similar speed and converging direction.
As for photos, conflicts with Drone's will be at lower altitudes, i.e during Takeoff, descent, approach and landing phase of flight. Pilots are preoccupied with flying their aircraft, the safest thing to do would be to report the sighting to ATC and have them pass on the investigation, not pull out a camera or phone.
I don't know why anyone would think pilots are making up stories, or creating false reports, there is nothing to gain other than safety.

Same reason why people who see an unidentified flying object think it's aliens. When in doubt, people choose the first thing they can think of.

Sure, if one was around they might be able to see that SOMETHING was in the air. But saying what it is and its distance is BS! You have to be able to know exactly what something is to know its size. You CANT guess distance if you dont know its size. It could be 3 feet away and be an Air Hogs toy, or it could be a mile away and be an F16!
That's not true if you have experience working with distances every day. If you have two good eyes you can estimate distance without knowing the size of an object, especially if it's flying by which provides more 3D perspective for your eyes. But the estimate may be off 30-40% off, depending on the conditions and lighting. Pilots are generally the best at estimating distance, given their experience dealing with distances in the air. However someone that no experience working with distances, such as an airline passenger, may not have a clue.

I fly my Phantom 3 too. I'm just stating a point. I know most people follow the rules, but it's unfortunate that it's a minority that ruin it for the rest and they are the ones that get the publicity. And again, pilots have no reason to make false reports. If anything id say it's the aerosexual plane spotters on the ground listening to their ATC scanners who are the ones that pass on what they have heard between pilot and controller on to the media. Anyway, reports or no reports, true or false, people will always break the rules and thats the sad part.

That's not true if you have experience working with distances every day. If you have two good eyes you can estimate distance without knowing the size of an object, especially if it's flying by which provides more 3D perspective for your eyes. But the estimate may be off 30-40% off, depending on the conditions and lighting. Pilots are generally the best at estimating distance, given their experience dealing with distances in the air. However someone that no experience working with distances, such as an airline passenger, may not have a clue.
Of which I am, and you are not. Well... not a pilot, but helicopter air crew for 15 years. Good try. there has to be something to reference to even come close to estimating size or volume. So obviously there is no way to know if a random object in the air is a $20 toy, or a $6000 octo. ESPECIALLY going 200+ kts on final.

Reactions: REBELimgs

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4