Drone and Airplane close call!

They released that paper the other day, over 650 "reported" sightings this year. 650 sighted drones............. not one photo, not one video, not any one instance of "any" verifiable evidence. C'mon, man! Are you pulling my leg?! Now, I "do" believe it's happening, but at nowhere near the end-of-the-world rate the media is regurgitating to a captive audience! Maybe pilots should be made aware of something called a "cell phone?! They can be carried in a shirt pocket even! Or pants pocket! There are just way too many unverifiable "sightings" for this to be anything other than 2 things..................... a well-concerted effort to get rid of those stupid hobby droners, or a lot of over-imagination on the part of a whole lot of airline pilots.

Reactions: mmee1992 and 750r
Are you saying pilots should be taking pics on final approach with their cell phones? Do you realize how fast they are passing these UAVs? My dad is a 787 Captain...I can promise you he's never using his cell phone during final approach to SFO, ORD, JFK, etc.

Are you saying pilots should be taking pics on final approach with their cell phones? Do you realize how fast they are passing these UAVs? My dad is a 787 Captain...I can promise you he's never using his cell phone during final approach to SFO, ORD, JFK, etc.
He could never see a drone flying 200 feet away either!

Whereas I agree a UAV doesn't belong anywhere near a commercial aircraft, isn't it a little alarmist to title the thread "Close call" when in reality it was either a radio call warning of potential trouble or worst case scenario a possible close call from the aircraft that then warned you?

I think this is a totally reasonable point. The temptation to sensationalize nowadays is very strong. A little perspective is important.

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
Sure, if one was around they might be able to see that SOMETHING was in the air. But saying what it is and its distance is BS! You have to be able to know exactly what something is to know its size. You CANT guess distance if you dont know its size. It could be 3 feet away and be an Air Hogs toy, or it could be a mile away and be an F16!

Reactions: Youngbill
I said nothing about "final approach". I'm saying, pics or it didn't happen. Our world is under constant surveillance, 24/7. How hard is it to get a pic of a "dangerous" drone when you've had over 650 chances?! Do you not see my underlying point? Would you completely disband an entire hobby, based solely on what's been presented so far?!

I said nothing about "final approach". I'm saying, pics or it didn't happen. Our world is under constant surveillance, 24/7. How hard is it to get a pic of a "dangerous" drone when you've had over 650 chances?! Do you not see my underlying point?

How would it not be final approach? Are you saying these sightings are occurring at 35,000+ feet? I've seen zero reports of that.

Pilots are not using cameras while they are taking off/landing.

My dad has voiced his disbelief in some of these UAV/Drone sightings by pilots. That said - it is happening for sure. The numbers just might be overstated.

I heard something interesting the other day and don't know how true it could be but it sounds legit. That the professional helicopter camera crews that make a living doing filming are helping flame these stories. I thought that was interesting.

I heard something interesting the other day and don't know how true it could be but it sounds legit. That the professional helicopter camera crews that make a living doing filming are helping flame these stories. I thought that was interesting.
Im willing to bet its a lot more than heli pilots! ANYONE with a 333 exemption has reason to screw the rest of us!

They released that paper the other day, over 650 "reported" sightings this year. 650 sighted drones............. not one photo, not one video, not any one instance of "any" verifiable evidence. C'mon, man! Are you pulling my leg?! Now, I "do" believe it's happening, but at nowhere near the end-of-the-world rate the media is regurgitating to a captive audience! Maybe pilots should be made aware of something called a "cell phone?! They can be carried in a shirt pocket even! Or pants pocket! There are just way too many unverifiable "sightings" for this to be anything other than 2 things..................... a well-concerted effort to get rid of those stupid hobby droners, or a lot of over-imagination on the part of a whole lot of airline pilots.

I think you make a point worth making, but in fairness, there has been video on the news of drones flying over JFK airport, but admittedly none directly from the cockpit or from passengers on the planes - at least not that I have seen. I live in NY, so I have no prob believing there are people stupid enough to fly drones over the runways. Other parts of the country have to deal with people shooting them out of the sky, so it pays to be aware of how and where we are flying.

Do you even understand how close a Phantom sized drone would have to be to a plane in order for it to be spotted? I call BS on almost all of these "sightings".

Sure as **** that's one of the groups alarming the public. Once you give people reason to believe you're taking money away from them, they're bound to act silly.

It would be interesting to know how many airline captains and first officers fly Phantoms... May be a couple on this forum:)

Reactions: S5S5G6 and Jbundy63
Interesting, when I google videos of "drone flying over JFK", I get nothing. I've never seen or heard of an actual video.

i'm not responsible for what appears on the internet. I live in NY. We have pretty good news sources here that offer good coverage of local news, I would bet. I can only testify to what I saw on local tv. The only one I found within 15 seconds of searching was a blurry one which is not what I was referring to.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/01/us/drone-airliner-jfk/

Last edited:
Like i said ... I live in NY. If you don't think that there are PLENTY of idiots here who would do such a thing, then you've never been to NY.

Please let's not let this sort of "scepticism" become as ridiculous as that of climate change.

Reactions: Bag1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers