Drone and Airplane close call!

Reaction score
I swear people are going to ruin our hobby. I am a corporate jet pilot and I was flying into San Diego international and the airplane in front of me called and said to watch out because there was a drone on the final approach path. This was at about 4000 feet 12 miles from the airport. Why do people need to fly that high? I personally think footage looks way better when shot from 1000 feet and below.

Hey,

San Diegan here. This pisses me off.

What commercial drones fly at 4k feet?
There is no need for it I don't think. Only reason I could think of is mapping but buddy of mine flies the airplane that takes pictures for google maps and he doesn't even fly at 4000 feet lol.

Drones have been big on the news lately here in NY, particularly at JFK. It's amazing how stupid and irresponsible some people can be. I'm glad I'm in the hobby now, ahead of whatever regulatory reaction these people are likely to provoke.

It won't be a phantom at that height...

P3 are software limited
P2 can get there, but not enough battery to get down again, so will only do it once.

In answer to the original question, there is no point apart from forum bragging.

I am a corporate jet pilot and I was flying into San Diego international and the airplane in front of me called and said to watch out because there was a drone on the final approach path. This was at about 4000 feet 12 miles from the airport.
It's a shame you didn't get to see it and report back.
There are so many of these reports and many are at extreme heights that make you wonder what did they really see.
I suspect that at least some of these high up reports might not be drones at all.
But without any more details we can't tell much.

Hmmm could have been a UFO now they are calling them drones. 4000 ft. Common. Get real!

Not to invalidate the pilot's concern, but I would like to see some documented evidence such as video of a drone or video from a drone during these 'incursions'.

For instance, last month's California wildfire on the highway going to Las Vegas, where six drones were reportedly spotted and delayed firefighting air support, as reported by the fire department.
Not one video or picture has surfaced, either from the drones or of the drones. Kind of strange when you think about the situation for the vehicle and home owners on the ground and the number of video cameras available in the area at the time.

Quite a bit of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) being spread around these days, some with ulterior motives. Just sayin'....

Personally I don't believe it I think SOME people and pilots will lie and make this crap up just to help regulate our hobby / recreation and or place more control over us. I've been a a responsible RC pilot since the 80s. more planes are hit with bird strikes than our "drones" they are called now days. People have just gone crazy with how they think these days.

Not to invalidate the pilot's concern, but I would like to see some documented evidence such as video of a drone or video from a drone during these 'incursions'.

For instance, last month's California wildfire on the highway going to Las Vegas, where six drones were reportedly spotted and delayed firefighting air support, as reported by the fire department.
Not one video or picture has surfaced, either from the drones or of the drones. Kind of strange when you think about the situation for the vehicle and home owners on the ground and the number of video cameras available in the area at the time.

Quite a bit of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) being spread around these days, some with ulterior motives. Just sayin'....

And many are probably mylar balloons with all that get released in the summer but yes strange not one photo from anyone sound more like a action plan to get drones band

You see those drones in call of duty advanced warfare? They shoot lasers and bullets! I was also questioning the pilots on the news recently who said they saw a black and yellow drone at 7,000AGL.

Each case is different, but I have no problem believing that there are people out there stupid and/or irresponsible enough to fly over a runway at an airport. It's more "likely" than "unlikely", sadly. I've only been on this site for a short time, but have already seen amazingly irresponsible and reckless videos by people who were bragging about this or that "achievement" or "record". The Idiocracy is real and pervades every activity and hobby out there.

You have to remember though, wild fires are a business! They are a HUGE influx of income for whatever given community! They are rarely put out until just before they put themselves out. So when there is an opportunity to use something as an excuse, it makes that process even easier to drag along.

Im also willing to bet that many of the reported "sightings" are reported by professionals that see the hobbyist as a threat to their income. They dont care about regulation because they have gone the official route. More regulation would only further maintain their being the only people to go to for pics of whatever.

Reactions: dpcavender
How do we know it's not the government's secret multi-rotor projects that are going that high? You know they are developing stuff like that.
Good point.
If we have them, they have tech that is much much better.

Everytime I hear pilot say they saw a quad x number of feet from them, my first question is, how do you know how far it was? Do you know the size of the drone, because if you don't, how can you begin to estimate distance based on an unknown size? Like the pilot the other day that said the drone was 4-6 FEET wide. Doesn't sound like any I've heard of.

Also, how do you spot a hobby sized quad at 150-200mph? It's hard enough to see one 300 feet away from you when you're standing still.

I swear people are going to ruin our hobby. I am a corporate jet pilot and I was flying into San Diego international and the airplane in front of me called and said to watch out because there was a drone on the final approach path. This was at about 4000 feet 12 miles from the airport. Why do people need to fly that high? I personally think footage looks way better when shot from 1000 feet and below.

Or 400 ft - which is the legal limit.... :)

Reactions: mmee1992
Whereas I agree a UAV doesn't belong anywhere near a commercial aircraft, isn't it a little alarmist to title the thread "Close call" when in reality it was either a radio call warning of potential trouble or worst case scenario a possible close call from the aircraft that then warned you?

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
Like I said before on another forum, I have a buddy who fly's for Southwest. He also has a UAV, he scratches his head every time he here's or see reports about a "Drone coming within 500-1000 feet of a jet at 5000ft. He has a hard time seeing a flock of geese flying at 280mph let alone something which is normally white and the size of a large frisbee

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20