Driftless Bluff

M

Melvoid

We're in the "Driftless Area" of Wisconsin. Supposedly the glaciers passed around this spot, not grinding everything down; so there are many rocky bluffs believed to be the remnants of an ancient mountain range. There are hills like this all over the area, many of which have Indian burial mounds on them.

This was taken in November of 2013 with my Phantom 1 and GoPro Hero 3 Black. I've since moved to a Phantom 3 Advanced, but I've only had that a few weeks (as of March 2016) and it's still late winter, so the countryside is mostly brown and muddy. Hoping to get some better stuff in a month or so.

I'm running out of subject matter, though. I've covered everything I can think of with the P1, although I'll be redoing some of that because of the smoother video with the P3. I just wish I had things like the Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains... Sorry. Got carried away there.

Meantime, here's one of my favorites.
00_Bluff_After.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also live in the "Driftless Area" of Wisconsin. I'm new to flying drones; I've only had a Phantom 3 Standard since the beginning of February. I do have several videos with snow covered hills and a few from this spring with deer in the fields. Have you heard of Buena Vista Park in Alma, WI? I think that would be a great place to get some aerial video but I'm not sure if there's enough of an open area to keep a line of sight contact with the drone without falling off the cliff.

I'm aware of it by name. We're in the Spring Green area, so that's a bit of a cruise, but there's lots of good scenery between here and there. I'm just waiting for it to get green. Right now, there's not much that looks very good. I think there'd be lots of great places in the LaCrosse area for our hobby, though.

As far as the cliffs go, even after 2+ years of flying, I'm not too brave about flying over stuff like that or water... a little mistake can cost you a grand or more. I'd be more apt to go to bottom of the cliff and fly up from there. As for water, I've only flown my P3 a handful of times so far, but I already trust the batteries more than the P1, so I may give that a go soon... on the other hand, the P3 camea isn't waterproof and doesn't seem too rugged. The GoPro, in the housing, on my P1 didn't worry me at all. That's a tough little camera.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20