Drifting sideways, hard to keep in a straight line

What mode were you flying in?

Tried all the modes except the atti. Tried normal flying. Course lock. I simply seem to drift off to the left. Its annoying. Normally it does not matter but I am trying to fly down a, non public, path and keeping on it is vital for the effect I want.

No mention of R/C and Gimbal being calibrated.

Shouldn't make it fly sideways unless the sticks aren't centering out. My money is on a non flat surface for IMU calibration.

Does it hover?

Then maybe you should request a image showing the IMU stats?

Then maybe you should request a image showing the IMU stats?
Would that show up? I was thinking (gets me in trouble all of the time) that as long as it was still, the IMU values should be OK. But it's an easy thing to test.I might have to try that.

Would that show up? I was thinking (gets me in trouble all of the time) that as long as it was still, the IMU values should be OK. But it's an easy thing to test.I might have to try that.

I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt based on the info he gave in the details. Most usually don't know to include some details. So I didn't want to say he probably didn't know what he was doing when calibrating.

Its also not unusual for people to post saying it is not flying straight only to later realize it was their stick input causing the problem. They dont believe it until they see their stick inputs when they replay the flight in the app.

Just another potential area to check. Good luck!

Reactions: JoBe
I re-calibrated the sticks on the RC. The IMU was calibrated on a level concrete wall. Also calibrated the compass. As for hovering its not exactly steady it tends to drop.

If you think yours is ok then just hover around 10 feet, or less, above the ground. When its high or away from you you cannot tell if its drifting etc.

As for lack of stick control I practice a lot at low level or with a hedge to one side. Its ok to think "I can fly my drone no problem" but just try flying with a hedge close to one side you will soon see how good you really are. Certainly improves your reaction time, does not do much for your nerves or props though. :)

But having said all this I have an idea :) Will report back if it improves things.

Thank you all for your replies.

Does the drone drift, or are you just looking at the camera gimbal slowly yawing (in an attempt to smooth out yaw movements) ? The latter is normal, but IMO highly annoying and I wish i could disable it or at the very least have an indicator on screen that shows the true heading of the quad.

The drone actually drifts, usually to the left. However I have a sneaky suspicion as to what may be causing it. Will not know till I have re-charged the batteries and taken it for another test flight and that is unlikely to be today.

I re-calibrated the sticks on the RC. The IMU was calibrated on a level concrete wall. Also calibrated the compass. As for hovering its not exactly steady it tends to drop.

If you think yours is ok then just hover around 10 feet, or less, above the ground. When its high or away from you you cannot tell if its drifting etc.

As for lack of stick control I practice a lot at low level or with a hedge to one side. Its ok to think "I can fly my drone no problem" but just try flying with a hedge close to one side you will soon see how good you really are. Certainly improves your reaction time, does not do much for your nerves or props though. :)

But having said all this I have an idea :) Will report back if it improves things.

Thank you all for your replies.

Concrete wall? Reinforced concrete perhaps? Ahem. *cough* .. concrete wall you say? Umm ... well, fellas?

The only other thing to check so far would be a bad prop or a failing motor. Either of these could have her yawing and/or slipping ... Concrete wall?

If I had to take a stab I would say you may not have had a completely flat surface when calibrating IMU

Out Droning Photography
--------------------------
• Instagram: @out_droning
• Facebook.com/outdroningphotography

Reactions: wutangdaddy
Concrete wall? Reinforced concrete perhaps? Ahem. *cough* .. concrete wall you say? Umm ... well, fellas?

The only other thing to check so far would be a bad prop or a failing motor. Either of these could have her yawing and/or slipping ... Concrete wall?
The IMU does not care about metal, so as long as the concrete wall was actually level when he did the IMU cal he should be fine.
Of course, doing a compass calibration near there would not be a good idea since the compass does care about metal and it could possibly be influenced by that wall if it was reinforced.
A compass calibration in a bad location (one with magnetic distortions) would certainly result in undesirable flight characteristics once you've flown away from that bad location.

Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic