Drifting P2V

Reaction score
Had my PV2 for a few months now and flown it about a dozen times, no problems. However, I tried it the other day in the drive way and it wouldn't hover in the same place, it continued to drift backwards. Little to no wind to speak of. I brought it into the house, re-calibrated everything, took it out and did the compass thing (away from the house) and it still was erratic. Hmmm. Came back in, did the advanced calibrate etc and it finally seemed to hover close to one spot. Any ideas? I purchased a new compass module but have not installed it as yet since the weather was not very conducive to flying. Spring is finally here!

Shouldn't be the compass. When you do the adv IMU, make sure the surface is level. As an extra step, use a level across the motor studs and make sure they are level in all directions. Playing cards make a good shim.

You didn't say how many Sat's you were seeing ?
When drifting does it just do it for a few feet and come back or does it just keep drifting and not stop ?
And +1 on what Marlin just told ya as that will fix some of these issue .

drifting usually means you were under 6 satellites. I have seen mine drift a few times when going from 4-6 satellites.

Even with enough Sat's sometimes mine would drift a few feet off but it usually would come back to center .Never more than 5 or 6 feet off though and just thought it to be normal .

Thanks for the words of wisdom....usually I have 8 - 9 Sats, but this problem just started. I always to the calibration on my computer desk and always to the compass dance...hmmm... I will have to go find a big field here shortly and do it all over again.

I may have found the culprit..at least here's hoping. After a quick flight a couple of hours ago..and still acting erratic. I came in, ran it through the software, and then let it idle (no props) to run the battery down, and I noticed one motor sounded funny, so this one motor was warm to the touch. Ok figured I need a new motor. So I took the top off and there was a little c clamp? (cant think of what the real name is ) that came loose and was stuck perfectly between the top and bottom of the motor, just enough to cause the motor to not run freely. So I put that back where it belonged, (holding the motor shaft in place). So I am guessing the next time I fly it will act normal.

You talking this
B060D777-4C6D-48E4-9FDB-669C8DBEBFD5_zpscyxth1h5.jpg

Seems like a slam dunk.

You have observed the effect (heat) and found the cause (loose c-ring).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj