drifiting backwards

Reaction score
Flew last night & although I knew wind was gusting, heavy gusts, I;ve been able to handle in winds before. BUT, at about 120', hands off the controls she was creeping back, away from me, at a good rate too.
P3A has always been rock steady.
Heavy winds do this? Never happened before.
Although I;ve flown this field many, many times I haven't calibrated in over 3 months, haven't seen the need to.
Compass calibration due u think?

It sounds like she was in ATTI mode and being pushed along with the wind.

I did flip to ATT mode to test if somehow it had gone into ATT on its own, BUT, , believe me when I say she went away allot faster in ATT..in same direction which makes me think, very heavy winds.
I flipped back to P & slowed considerably, but, I was concerned about getting over some homes & throttled up to bring her back home.
I will watch closely tomorrow. Can't believe our luck with the weather here in Ontario.
I should be raking leaves, making calls, cleaning house but, I can Fly!!

I think the winds at the altitude you were flying must have been in excess of 15-20 mph. My P3P doesnt have a problem under 10 mph, but anything above she has a hard time maintaining her position. At that point, I always land.

Flew last night & although I knew wind was gusting, heavy gusts, I;ve been able to handle in winds before. BUT, at about 120', hands off the controls she was creeping back, away from me, at a good rate too.
P3A has always been rock steady.
Heavy winds do this? Never happened before.
Although I;ve flown this field many, many times I haven't calibrated in over 3 months, haven't seen the need to.
Compass calibration due u think?
what was your satellite count. if it was low that maybe why you were drifting.

I;ve discovered there were 20-30 mph winds at launch, at the altitude I was at, I;m assuming could be double that.
I took her out early this morning, its sunny & calm here, no drifting whatsoever, so I think winds did play into this drifting issue.
Does anyone think I should do the IMU and/or compass calibrations, considering its been months since I did either?
Or leave well enough alone.
Thanks all

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers