Draw mode: Cool.... but very limited?

Reaction score
I've been trying out the draw mode and it's a very cool addition.... but needs some work.

PLEASE comment if what mine is doing is different than yours.
  • The allowed length of the course you draw is very short... like less than 1000 feet total
  • Cannot yaw the craft independently while on course - thus you can only record/view toward the front, no sideways flying while on course.
  • Can only draw a course in the FPV view mode, not map view (which would actually make much more sense)
This is an awesome cool, quick tool, but needs more work IMO... keep at it DJI ;-)

I agree that utility of Draw Mode is very limited in the initial iteration. It is difficult to create a precise course and without the ability to control yaw there really isn't much you can do with it as far as I can tell.

If you can't control the camera / yaw while taking advantage of the autopilot, then what's the purpose of it anyway... I thought the whole reason to implement this mode was to be able to concentrate on controling the camera while auto-flying the set path.

If you can't control the camera / yaw while taking advantage of the autopilot, then what's the purpose of it anyway... I thought the whole reason to implement this mode was to be able to concentrate on controling the camera while auto-flying the set path.
Yep. Hopefully that is changed in the future, but until then Draw Mode is of little use that I can see.

I have found the best results by being a bit higher in the air and having the gimbal tilted more down. There is a red bar that appears on the screen where you can't draw into. The 'No draw area" is biggest when your camera is most horizontal. As others have said very limited range. I can't get it to fly more than 50m forwards but it will fly 100+ meters if I draw a complex S/figure of eight. Still early days for this intelli-mode I think

Absolutely agree.... very frustrating...

As it is now you are just kind of "along for the ride"...

Yet another 'feature' that is turning out to be not much of a feature after all.

Side sensors that only work in Tripod or beginner mode.

P4P+ thats not easy to update as described.

Range is much lower than promised.

Follow me, or whatever its called, will not work if your going down hill.

Have I missed anything?

So you're saying that you have range problems with your own P4P? Because from what I've been reading there are more good range reports than bad.
Nope I am not. I am just saying I have seen more negative reports than positive at the moment. Holding off buying till some of these initial teething problems are sorted out. E.G Straight out of the box and the language is Chinese. Firmware updates that you have to work out yourself how to fix, or read the good work of the guys on here. Give it a few months the price will go down and the reliability will increase.

I can't even get it to work. All I can do is draw a squiggly line. Nothing else happens.

I've been trying out the draw mode and it's a very cool addition.... but needs some work.

PLEASE comment if what mine is doing is different than yours.
  • The allowed length of the course you draw is very short... like less than 1000 feet total
  • Cannot yaw the craft independently while on course - thus you can only record/view toward the front, no sideways flying while on course.
  • Can only draw a course in the FPV view mode, not map view (which would actually make much more sense)
This is an awesome cool, quick tool, but needs more work IMO... keep at it DJI ;-)

For the second comment, I think you should probably notice that there is an option after your drawing inside the sliding out side page. There you can choose FORWARD or FREE for draw. While in FREE, you can fully control yaw as well as the altitude of the UAV. However, you will loss obstacle avoidance in this case......;)

I made a video about the draw flight mode here if anyone wants to see
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: flyboy73

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan