Downtown Dallas, TX

Cool video, nice variety of locations. Music went well with the shots.

I'm in Dallas as well, see others posting here. Should setup an event for a drone invasion.

Great video and so clear and super sharp .Must have been early in the morning as not many folks about.

Thanks, saltire. Not only early morning but early Saturday morning. For me, that's the best time to fly as no one is around. Glad you enjoyed.

Cool video. I noticed a police car in one of the shots. I'm assuming he didn't even notice you not that you were doing anything wrong in the first place. The fly overs of the sculpture was nice.

I saw the police car after the fact. That building is city hall and what you didn't see was a bicycle cop was with us. He hung out because he was into quads and he told us that most could care less about flying quads downtown......unless you're being an idiot and I think we both know what that's all about.
Glad you liked the video and thanks for watching.

Where did you get the lens?

BTW, look closer, that's not a police car. It's a pickup truck with a flatbed.
My first impression was cop car, until I realized it was not.

Careful bud. Most could care less, you're right; some are even interested in it. But by Texas law you're subject to a $10000 per image, if you take images of private property and get busted. Not to mention, risky locations puts us all in danger of more strict enforcement. For goodness sake, I don't need any more restrictions.

Hey Bud, are you a lawyer or something? Are you a cop or something? I could count on one hand how many people I saw early Saturday morning in downtown Dallas. I don't believe anyone was in danger or anything was in danger and besides all that, there was a bicycle cop present at all times.
However, I feel much safer knowing the forum cop is always watching. It's people like you that are always stirring up a mess when there's nothing to stir.

skipper1 said:
Hey Bud, are you a lawyer or something? Are you a cop or something? I could count on one hand how many people I saw early Saturday morning in downtown Dallas. I don't believe anyone was in danger or anything was in danger and besides all that, there was a bicycle cop present at all times.
However, I feel much safer knowing the forum cop is always watching. It's people like you that are always stirring up a mess when there's nothing to stir.

OOOOOk. I guess it's the last time I give you friendly advice. I didn't mention endangering anyone, I'm trying to help you avoid a pretty big expense should you encounter that one cop or individual that gives you a load of sh!t about it.

I live and fly in the Dallas area. I am not a cop, nor a lawyer; but I play both on TV and I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

FYI:
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/sum ... -drone-law

Personally, I think people are reading the Texas law wrong.
As I read it, you are supposed to have permission from every HOME owner.
Nothing in that law says anything filming about a business or building that is not a residence.

In my opinion, I believe that part of the law will get tossed when challenged.
For two main reasons, public domain and airspace.
US law puts the FAA in charge of all airspace so states are not allowed to make laws regarding airspace.
If I'm standing on a street with a camera in hand, do I need your permission to take a photo of it?
No. Do why do I need permission to take a photo of your house from the air?

Suwaneeguy said:
Personally, I think people are reading the Texas law wrong.
As I read it, you are supposed to have permission from every HOME owner.
Nothing in that law says anything filming about a business or building that is not a residence.

In my opinion, I believe that part of the law will get tossed when challenged.
For two main reasons, public domain and airspace.
US law puts the FAA in charge of all airspace so states are not allowed to make laws regarding airspace.
If I'm standing on a street with a camera in hand, do I need your permission to take a photo of it?
No. Do why do I need permission to take a photo of your house from the air?

Exactly, and this has been going on in other forums as well and I am so tired of it I could puke. If I were actually invading someone's privacy or risking someone's safety, that would be a another story.

All of those other forums, are not this one; neither am I those people. This would be our first encounter and you've handled it so maturely, skip; I can't imagine why you may have a lowered discourse with anyone, at all. :roll:

There's no 'reading' into the law. It says nothing of Homeowners and is very explicit on definition of private property and individual as well as singling out UAS as opposed to any other photog equipment.

Sec 423.003 (a)
A person commits an offense if the person uses an unmanned aircraft [FA1(5)-(6)] to capture an image of an individual or privately owned real property in this state.

You want to continue to do it, go for it, it's your risk. However, you'll have to go ahead and puke. The reason your so sick of people telling you is because you believe yourself exempt from the law and fail to realize they are simply laying out facts for your digestion. Interpret however you wish.

That's all I have to say on the issue, and simply for record of those who actually wish to remain on the legal side of things.

Enjoy.

DBeard said:
All of those other forums, are not this one; neither am I those people. This would be our first encounter and you've handled it so maturely, skip; I can't imagine why you may have a lowered discourse with anyone, at all. :roll:

There's no 'reading' into the law. It says nothing of Homeowners and is very explicit on definition of private property and individual as well as singling out UAS as opposed to any other photog equipment.

Sec 423.003 (a)
A person commits an offense if the person uses an unmanned aircraft [FA1(5)-(6)] to capture an image of an individual or privately owned real property in this state.

You want to continue to do it, go for it, it's your risk. However, you'll have to ahead and puke. The reason your so sick of people telling you is because you believe yourself exempt from the law and fail to realize they are simply laying out facts for your digestion. Interpret however you wish.

That's all I have to say on the issue, and simply for record of those who actually wish to remain on the legal side of things.

Enjoy.

DBeard, you have no idea what you're talking about. I think you're posting just so you can get the counter to click another post for you.
Believe it or not you are the only forum cop that has ever pulled me over so go chew on your straw and hide behind a billboard.

I've had some PM's on where to get the lens I'm using. This lens will not work on a GoPro 3, only on a GoPro Hero 3+.
First of all let me be up front and perfectly clear that I am not associated with AICO in any way. I just believe in their product and am always willing to help someone that has a good product.
Here is their website, their email is to the left on the lens. If you order one, be sure to get "IR Cut".

http://www.aico-electronics.com/industr ... meras.html

One other thing, you'll want to wrap some plumbers tape around the threads before installing. You want a nice snug fit so that vibration won't screw or unscrew your lens.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4