Downloading video?

Reaction score
Just got a P3 Standard and am curious how to download video using Windows Vista. When I power up the quad and plug the USB cable to my desktop it does the "installing new hardware" dance but then under "My Computer", it does not list the quad. Is there a driver I have to download from DJI? Thanks!

There are no drivers to install. Try removing the cable and plugging it in again.

It's easier to transfer files with a memory card reader -- like this one.

There are no drivers to install. Try removing the cable and plugging it in again.

It's easier to transfer files with a memory card reader -- like this one.

Thanks, I think I figured it out. Since I didn't press the record dot on my iphone, there was no video to download. The complete lack of instructions with this quad is maddening, and I'm out in the sticks and my ISP is too slow to watch any of the tutorial videos...

Also, to calibrate the compass, how many times to I have to pivot in a circle while holding it? I tried twice with it flat and twice with it on edge and got "calibration failed."

You need to turn 360 degrees (one time). It sometimes takes another 1/8 of a turn until the lights on the arms change to acknowledge the calibration was successful.

Thanks, I think I figured it out. Since I didn't press the record dot on my iphone, there was no video to download. The complete lack of instructions with this quad is maddening, and I'm out in the sticks and my ISP is too slow to watch any of the tutorial videos...
Better to instead use the dedicated red video record button on the left front side of the transmitter with your index finger, while still keeping both hands and thumbs on the transmitter controls.

Did you download and read the User Manual from DJI's website?

Lots of information there.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Is there any advantage to replacing the stock 8GB microSD that came with it with the 32GB from my GoPro? Is the video recorded on the iphone or the chip? What little I can tell from the instruction manual is that the chip is just for firmware.

Edited to add: there does not appear to be any red record button on my transmitter...just on my iphone screen.

Is there any advantage to replacing the stock 8GB microSD that came with it with the 32GB from my GoPro?
Sure. It'll give you more room to store photos and video.

there does not appear to be any red record button on my transmitter...just on my iphone screen.
Right. Only the P3A and P3P have a record button on the remote controller.

You'll sure get 4x more storage space with 32GB. Rule of thumb is 2 mins of 4K video recording for each 1GB. So with 32GB, you can get around 70-75 mins of recording on the Standard's 2.7K camera.

There is no dedicated record button the Standard's RC; you need to use the record button in the app.

Thanks...so the video is recorded on the chip and not the iphone memory. They really need to include a manual for those of us with poor or non-existent internet service.

Reactions: J&L
Last question for the night. Is there a way to enter lat and long for using the quad to find geocaches?

so the video is recorded on the chip and not the iphone memory. They really need to include a manual for those of us with poor or non-existent internet service.
The video is always stored on the memory card. It's also stored on your iPhone if you are caching it (see #7 here).

Is there a way to enter lat and long for using the quad to find geocaches?
You cannot fly to a specific lat & long and the DJI GO app does not display the current lat & long. Some third party apps do display it -- Autopilot for example.

Is there any advantage to replacing the stock 8GB microSD that came with it with the 32GB from my GoPro? Is the video recorded on the iphone or the chip? What little I can tell from the instruction manual is that the chip is just for firmware.

Edited to add: there does not appear to be any red record button on my transmitter...just on my iphone screen.
My bad. You bought the Standard, which has no dedicated red record button.
Video is recorded on the internal microSD card, so put in at least a 16GB one and have extras to replace after every flight (so you never lose a prior video, if you lose the aircraft during the next flight), as you can potentially exceed 8GB in one flight. It would also be a bummer to run out of room during a flight!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, had a very successful flight and was able to download the entire video of the flight onto my windows vista desktop. The picture quality is phenomenal but is very jerky. It looks like a second of perfect video then it jumps to,a,few seconds later and keeps doing this for the entire length. Ideas? It almost looks like a robbery at a convenience store.

My first thought is your computer is not powerful enough. You could copy your vid to a thumb drive and try it on a different computer.

You need to turn 360 degrees (one time). It sometimes takes another 1/8 of a turn until the lights on the arms change to acknowledge the calibration was successful.

I go clockwise, she went counterclockwise. She must south of the equator :)

My first thought is your computer is not powerful enough. You could copy your vid to a thumb drive and try it on a different computer.

It also looked this way on my iphone while I was flying. It was very hard to use the iphone as a live feed because of this and flew mainly by visual contact.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl