Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. smiller

If I open the 'Here' maps window in DJI GO 4 and select an area while connected to WiFi the street map layer seems to download and cache locally as they should (for the entire area selected), however the satellite layer will not seem to cache unless you actually drill down to maximum detail on each panel... kind of a PITA. Is this expected behavior or am I doing something wrong?

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Yes -- you should zoom down to the zoom level you'll be flying at before scrolling around to download and cache the map images.

3. smiller

OK, understand that, but if I plan on working in a large area that process is kind of laborious. Guess that's just the way it is though.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

That's definitely one of the cons of using the P4P+ screen.

5. smiller

Well in most cases I would simply be tethered to my phone with the P4P+, so no difference between that and using a phone/tablet as a display. The reason I would need to download would be if I was in an area outside of cellular range, in which case I would have to download the maps in advance even if I was using a separate device, so again, no difference.

6. msinger

Approved Vendor

You can tether to your phone while you're flying?

7. smiller

Sure, the DJI GO 4 app on the P4P+ is running under Android just like a phone/tablet and if there is WiFi available (from a tethered phone) then Internet access is transparent, just like on a phone. DJI GO doesn't know the difference either way.

#7 smiller, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  8. msinger

Approved Vendor

Got it. I thought I saw DJI support saying the screen connected to the RC via Wi-Fi over in RCGroups.

9. smiller

Yeah, the screen (actually a small self-contained Android tablet, as with CrystalSky) is connected to the RC via USB, just like any other device. And the screen (and the DJI GO running on it) connects to the world via WiFi, just as an external tablet would. There's essentially no functional difference between the two as far as I can tell, just think of the P4P+ screen as any other tablet or phone (although with several enhancements/optimizations for flight use of course.)

#9 smiller, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  10. Raptorman0909

Yeah, I do a lot of my flying in the outback sections of Utah and the southwest so I'm often in places with no hint of cellular service. What would be nice is a feature to define a box on the map so that the satellite data for that box is downloaded down to the finest level. Even better if you could move the corners to make a more complicated shape like a trapezoid.

Brian

11. smiller

It seems to work like that for the street map layer (using the dimensions of the screen for the boundaries -- although I'd have to check again to be sure about that), but not for the satellite layer. I wouldn't be surprised if it works that way for Google offline maps too, the satellite imagary would probably result in a huge file if auto-downloaded... they want you to work for it. :)