Downgrading for faster descent

Reaction score
I'm on 3.04 now, but am considering downgrading for a little faster descent. AFAIK v2 allows faster descent, but not as fast as v1.08. Does anyone know the descent parameters of 1.08 and 2.0, as compared to 3.04 (or whatever the latest version is)???

Also, is it an easy process to downgrade? Just load the 1.08 or 2.0 assistant software, and hit "upgrade"???

Thanks.....

BTW, I took off the prop guards, so a little faster descent shouldn't get me in trouble, plus the CF props seem to help also (debatable).

I'm using 3.0 still which came installed with my bird. I think it still offers the faster decent rate, can anyone else confirm this?

I am new here still and I trust certain people with their advice and I've been told that 3.0 is a good version and I've had no major issues with that firmware version either. 3.04 is the latest version.

Why do you need or want a much faster decent rate though? You now about the VRS (vortex ring state)? If you descend too fast vertically, you risk going into that state.

Also, and from what have gathered by many posters, the prop guards *might* be a contributing factor and many suggest not using them.

1.08 = 6m/s
2.0 = 3m/s
3.04 = 2m/s

I believe that now you only have 2 options. 1.08 or 3.04, the downgrade to 2.0 doesn't work anymore apparently, even if going to 1.08 first then up to 2.0.

MrC said:
1.08 = 6m/s
2.0 = 3m/s
3.04 = 2m/s

I believe that now you only have 2 options. 1.08 or 3.04, the downgrade to 2.0 doesn't work anymore apparently, even if going to 1.08 first then up to 2.0.
Yes, 2.0 would be the ticket. I can live with 3m/s. So, what is the downside going down to 1.08, other than getting into trouble with a too rapid descent?

dannytroy said:
MrC said:
1.08 = 6m/s
2.0 = 3m/s
3.04 = 2m/s

Yes, 2.0 would be the ticket. I can live with 3m/s. So, what is the downside going down to 1.08, other than getting into trouble with a too rapid descent?
There is no down side. Just be careful and always descend at an angle.

dannytroy said:
I'm on 3.04 now, but am considering downgrading for a little faster descent. AFAIK v2 allows faster descent, but not as fast as v1.08. Does anyone know the descent parameters of 1.08 and 2.0, as compared to 3.04 (or whatever the latest version is)???

Also, is it an easy process to downgrade? Just load the 1.08 or 2.0 assistant software, and hit "upgrade"???

Thanks.....

BTW, I took off the prop guards, so a little faster descent shouldn't get me in trouble, plus the CF props seem to help also (debatable).
Just flick the switch into ATTI mode and she'll come down like a brick if you want it to.... Then flick it back to GPS. Easy Peezy

[/quote]
Just flick the switch into ATTI mode and she'll come down like a brick if you want it to.... Then flick it back to GPS. Easy Peezy[/quote]

Are you sure? Yesterday I tried and got max some 3-4m/s in ATTI 3.04

I'm on 3.04. The 400 ft/min descent rate is fine by me. For those that want it faster you'll need to be vigilant about avoiding the VRS that can result from high descent rates. I rarely, if ever, get above 400 feet so taking a minute to come down is not an issue for me.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Just flick the switch into ATTI mode and she'll come down like a brick if you want it to.... Then flick it back to GPS. Easy Peezy
+1
Switch to ATTI mode and fly it down, it will come down fast. You shouldn't be trying to descend in a hover anyway.

OK, I downgraded to 1.08 and I can feel the difference in responsiveness right away. Very little down pitch equals a quick descent. I have my gains adjusted to compensate for added weight of the styro shell I made, to keep it floating should it land on water. It was good with 3.04, but might be too extreme for 1.08. How does it look to you guys?

Attachments

• Gain_settings.jpg
    Gain_settings.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 347
Just flick the switch into ATTI mode and she'll come down like a brick if you want it to.... Then flick it back to GPS. Easy Peezy[/quote]

Are you sure? Yesterday I tried and got max some 3-4m/s in ATTI 3.04[/quote]

Definately NOT manual mode. I am using the 3.04 firmware and when I switch to ATTI, it comes down very fast with very little left stick down. If I pull the left stick all the way down it drops like in free fall. Scary

Phantom_Menace66 said:

Are you sure? Yesterday I tried and got max some 3-4m/s in ATTI 3.04[/quote]

Definately NOT manual mode. I am using the 3.04 firmware and when I switch to ATTI, it comes down very fast with very little left stick down. If I pull the left stick all the way down it drops like in free fall. Scary[/quote]
Strange this is different from my experience. Can you recover it with throttle easy?

dannytroy said:
OK, I downgraded to 1.08 and I can feel the difference in responsiveness right away. Very little down pitch equals a quick descent. I have my gains adjusted to compensate for added weight of the styro shell I made, to keep it floating should it land on water. It was good with 3.04, but might be too extreme for 1.08. How does it look to you guys?

Tell us more about the styro shell you made. Sounds interesting.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4