Downgrade firmware on p3a

Reaction score
I just got a new p3a and want to downgrade to 1.4. It came with 1.5.30+. Is this the dreaded fall from the sky version? I tried loading 1.4 and get the "it's the same or lower version" abort. Any advice what to do?

I just got a new p3a and want to downgrade to 1.4. It came with 1.5.30+. Is this the dreaded fall from the sky version? I tried loading 1.4 and get the "it's the same or lower version" abort. Any advice what to do?

One more thing: I have GO app 2.4.1, aircraft 1.5.30+, and RC 1.5.70.

What I have in my signature works well for me.

Search for 'downgrade' on this site and you will find a number of videos. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You also might want to consider what Trackman1 says - go to 1.6. This rev seemed to fix the 'dead battery' trick and added some better battery behaviors in cold weather. 1.4 will also not work with the newer versions of Litchi and Autopilot.

I have just updated everything, aircraft and 3 batteries.

Whats wrong with DJI to give updates that mess everything ? Should I downgrade now or leave it on latest firmware ? I was flying perfect with 1.8.80 and now I am on 1.9.60. I dont want to be on old firmware because they can deny warranty repairs as I have understood.

If it shows you have 1.5.3+, that means you have 1.6 installed and not 1.5. You dont have the known bad 1.5. Since you have 1.6, you cant go down 2 versions to 1.4. Thats why its not letting you. You can stay on 1.6 or install a higher version if you choose. If you decide 1.8 or higher, you'll then also need 1.6 on your RC due to an encryption change.

Reactions: JoBe
I dont want to be on old firmware because they can deny warranty repairs as I have understood.
This has been proven to not be true, but its an old wive's tale that doesnt seem to ever go away.

If it shows you have 1.5.3+, that means you have 1.6 installed and not 1.5. You dont have the known bad 1.5. Since you have 1.6, you cant go down 2 versions to 1.4. Thats why its not letting you. You can stay on 1.6 or install a higher version if you choose. If you decide 1.8 or higher, you'll then also need 1.6 on your RC due to an encryption change.

Why wouldn't it say 1.6 if I have 1.6?

This has been proven to not be true, but its an old wive's tale that doesnt seem to ever go away.

Exactly right. The OP could take his 1.53+ and fly. It is supposed to be RTF out of the box.

Mine came with 1.53+ also. I flew it a few times and then went to 1.6 for the cold weather battery fix.

Reactions: monkeychops
Just a guess. But I think it is a "hot fix" A patch to fix a specific problem when the full new firmware is not available yet.

Think of it as Windows "hot fixes" When they get enough of then the issue a service pack. The full firmware.

Should I go fly then with all latest firmwares ? How many of you have no problems with it ? With all latest firmwares, aircraft, battery and the remote.

Why wouldn't it say 1.6 if I have 1.6?
The "+" is not unusual. It has been reported by many people since FW version 1.2x was released over a year ago.

Here's one of the many examples:
What should the latest firmware be numbered?

Even though there have been many threads on the topic, I don't think it has ever been definitively explained why the "+" shows sometimes rather than the actual FW version. Some people have seen it resolve after a reboot, some have seen it go away with an app update or reinstall, some after they've connected to the internet. Some have never seen it go away until the next FW update as far as I know.

One thing that I have never heard is that anyone has had an issue because they see the "+".

Last edited:
How to downgrade it ? I will also wait a little for more owners to chime in.

How to downgrade it ?
The same way you upgrade, only with the older FW bin on your card instead of the latest. You can only go down one version below the highest FW version that has been previously installed. In your case since you now have 1.9, 1.8 is the lowest you can go if you choose to do so.

When the P3 was first released, we did not have the ability to easily downgrade. Just the fact that DJI added this ability should show you that they are fine with it. Good luck sir.

Last edited:
Reactions: lafester
Thanks for the help, great if the procedure is the same. Batteries are left on the latest firmware then ?

All of you then say that I should downgrade the bird ? How come that DJI is holding bad firmware for 2 months now ?

The "+" is not unusual. It has been reported by many people since FW version 1.2x was released over a year ago.

Here's one of the many examples:
What should the latest firmware be numbered?

Even though there have been many threads on the topic, I don't think it has ever been definitively explained why the "+" shows sometimes rather than the actual FW version. Some people have seen it resolve after a reboot, some have seen it go away with an app update or reinstall, some after they've connected to the internet. Some have never seen it go away until the next FW update as far as I know.

One thing that I have never heard is that anyone has had an issue because they see the "+".

So should I try to upgrade to 1.6 by loading the 1.6 bin file on the sd card? Or not worry and just go fly!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj