Doom and Gloom

Reaction score
Hi all
Fairly new to the forum, I have a P3s. Practically every post on here is about faults with updates, breakages when landing, crashes etc.
Is my P3s doomed from the start or do happy satisfied bunnies not post on here?
Wishing you all gentle breezes and clear skies
Dave

Well I've had mine since October of last year and I've done every update without a problem and it flies great. I never crashed or did anything to mess it up. I've flown well over 100x and so far so good. [Knock on wood]

I did worry a few times that I thought I had some problems but it was just me being nervous and people in forum helped me out.

Last edited:
Reactions: landed
I must say, I was quite worried about flying initially and wouldn't try it when it was lightly breezy, however, I actually think the p3s is very stable and controllable - I had previously "flown" a husban and didn't get on with it - very unstable and needing constant input. I think if you are sensible you won't have problems....

I've had my P3S since Jan. and done a LOT of flights ( summer/autumn here NZ) with no problems. Learnt on Syma x8c's plural ! A phantom is easy to fly but is not for learners.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

A Phantom is exactly for learners. It would take a fool to crash one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Learner here: retired pro photographer/videographer who couldn't believe the YouTube/Vimeo videos I was seeing--HAD to see for myself. With zero model flying experienced, have crashed my poor victim P3P about four times in my first month (I believe that makes me one of firestars' fools) ...but cautious flight plans and sheer terror has resulted in a quad that still looks and flies like new. I love this thing--and respect its creators greatly...if this tool had been available a decade ago, my work would have improved greatly. Latest smashup happened while I was testing RTB to see how close to takeoff point it is: answer, about 25 feet (if you've been concentrating on other things and idiotically forget to recalibrate the compass)...which puts it into a tree branch. (Learning how to quickly seize manual control is a good idea, BTW).

Reactions: seb evans
Minimal problems here. I've had my Standard since March. Two hung updates (which did complete the second time) and one ground tip-over resulting in a broken prop. That's it!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Purchased my p3s about a month ago. Updated to 1.6.8 out of the box, even down graded to 1.5.7 and then back to 1.6.8. No issues flying so far.
60+ flights

Short answer:
Happy bunnies probably don't post their great experiences here.
Bought my P3S in October 2015. No regrets. Posted here mostly to share experiences for guys like you and me. Usually I'm trolling for ideas about doing a better job flying and controlling the camera functions.
My flying experience: No equipment hassles for me that can't be explained. Mostly learning-by-doing.
Given the number of these units that have been purchased and are flying, I'd say it's a pretty limited number of issues that are reported here and it's usually recurring themes.
Honestly, I think the DJI folks have been responsive to the needs of most of us amateurs. This is a technology in its youth. Sort of like the era of Radio Shack computers (TRS 80, remember that?) or the Commodore Vic-20 !
DJI is always developing and issuing new products, but their folks who produce the support documentation seem to be a little lazy. I think they are expecting all of us to be spending time looking at videos and scouring the internet looking for the information we need for the never-ending upgrades for each of their products.
My advice, Dave, is to take it easy at first, learn from the experiences here, practice the fundamentals, and feel comfortable at the controls. Then, go find some places you want to remember and shoot lots of video and pictures. But you better buy a bigger hard drive to store all those memories!
KeyPenPoints.jpg

Reactions: EddieM
Short answer:
Bought my P3S in October 2015. No regrets. Posted here mostly to share experiences for guys like you and me. Usually I'm trolling for ideas about doing a better job flying and controlling the camera functions.
My flying experience: No equipment hassles for me that can't be explained. Mostly learning-by-doing.
Given the number of these units that have been purchased and are flying, I'd say it's a pretty limited number of issues that are reported here and it's usually recurring themes.
Honestly, I think the DJI folks have been responsive to the needs of most of us amateurs. This is a technology in its youth. Sort of like the era of Radio Shack computers (TRS 80, remember that?) or the Commodore Vic-20 !
DJI is always developing and issuing new products, but their folks who produce the support documentation seem to be a little lazy. I think they are expecting all of us to be spending time looking at videos and scouring the internet looking for the information we need for the never-ending upgrades for each of their products.
My advice, Dave, is to take it easy at first, learn from the experiences here, practice the fundamentals, and feel comfortable at the controls. Then, go find some places you want to remember and shoot lots of video and pictures. But you better buy a bigger hard drive to store all those memories!View attachment 54844

What settings did you use for this photo?

Short answer:
My advice, Dave, is to take it easy at first, learn from the experiences here, practice the fundamentals, and feel comfortable at the controls. Then, go find some places you want to remember and shoot lots of video and pictures. But you better buy a bigger hard drive to store all those memories!View attachment 54844
Commodore!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl