Don't use GoPro with FC40????

Reaction score
I emailed DJI a question about my new FC40. I didn't care much for the answer.

{My email}
I just bought a FC40 Phantom multicopter. I would like to have the option
of using my GoPro camera in place of the camera that came with it.

Are the GoPro mounts that are used with the Phantom 1 copters available? If so, how much are they?

Thank you very much.

{Their reply}
Dear,
Phantom FC 40 is all-in-one desigh, we do not recommend our users to apply in that way cause some parts are not compatible.

{My reply}
I'm confused. Are  you saying that you don't recommend using a GoPro camera with the FC40?

What parts are "not compatible"? It IS a GoPro mount on the FC40.....

{Their reply}

Dear,

Phantom FC 40 uses smart FC 40 camera, using gopro camera is not avalible,

First of all I e-mailed DJI on Thursday and still waiting on answer. It was about the camera. Brand new and it won't hold a charge....anyways the reason I bought the FC40 was because the TX was on 5.8 and my GoPro is on 2.4 so there is no interference. I have it mounted on a gimbal with no problems. Added the lever on back of TX to control pitch. Works fine.

darwin-t said:
I emailed DJI a question about my new FC40. I didn't care much for the answer.

{My email}
I just bought a FC40 Phantom multicopter. I would like to have the option
of using my GoPro camera in place of the camera that came with it.

Are the GoPro mounts that are used with the Phantom 1 copters available? If so, how much are they?

Thank you very much.

{Their reply}
Dear,
Phantom FC 40 is all-in-one desigh, we do not recommend our users to apply in that way cause some parts are not compatible.

{My comment on their reply}
I wrote back for clarification, no answer yet.

I asked them if I can use their own gimbal with my FC40.
They said I need to call them to discuss further.

really? lol

I edited the original post with updated info

{My reply}
I'm confused. Are  you saying that you don't recommend using a GoPro camera with the FC40?

What parts are "not compatible"? It IS a GoPro mount on the FC40.....

{Their reply}

Dear,

Phantom FC 40 uses smart FC 40 camera, using gopro camera is not avalible,

mt2525 said:
First of all I e-mailed DJI on Thursday and still waiting on answer. It was about the camera. Brand new and it won't hold a charge....anyways the reason I bought the FC40 was because the TX was on 5.8 and my GoPro is on 2.4 so there is no interference. I have it mounted on a gimbal with no problems. Added the lever on back of TX to control pitch. Works fine.

If you take the mini sd card out of the FC-40 camera, it may be possible to charge from the root hub of a computer.

With the memory card present, it looks like a external drive of the computer.

Use an external phone charger around 1/2 to 1 amp to charge it.

I use a H3+ Black on a H3-D2 gimbal with no problems on a FC40, as well as a printed GoPro 3 holder or waterproof GoPro holder on another FC40.

DJI techs seem to be operating from a Q&A database of known issues. If you ask about something that isn't spelled out in the database, you may get a very vague response; not necessarily an answer.

I too have an FC40 and would like to install:

► Battery plate with space for two batteries
► Camera with gimbal

I'm a programmer but no engineer so looking for an easy solution, kind of an all in one package that I can self assemble.

Any thoughts...?

It just seems odd to me since the FC40 is exactly the same as a Phantom 1, isn't it, other than the addition of the camera?

darwin-t said:
It just seems odd to me since the FC40 is exactly the same as a Phantom 1, isn't it, other than the addition of the camera?

FC40 uses 5.8 GHz controller P1 uses 2.4 GHz controller
FC40 uses dual receive antennas properly placed on opposing corners
P1 uses single antenna (early models) and dual antennas both on same side
FC40 allows use of WiFi camera, since it doesn't use 2.4 GHz Controler. You can use a tablet r smart phone for FPV.
P1 uses same frequency band for Controller as WIFi, so video downlink requires a separate transmitter, receiver and monitor

The FC 40 seems to have the latest design in many respects, but is overlooked by many due to the shorter range of 5.8 ghz as opposed to 2.4 ghz.

Dalite said:
The FC 40 seems to have the latest design in many respects, but is overlooked by many due to the shorter range of 5.8 ghz as opposed to 2.4 ghz.

Thanks for that. But there is nothing there that negates the use of the GoPro on the FC40, is there? :D

The FC40 has a range of 500 yards, doesn't it? What is the range of the P1?

without a doubt, the FC40 can use a gopro with gimbal.

A lot of people have done it.
There are even some youtube vids of people velcroing the FC40 cam onto the battery door to keep FPV while using the gopro to film

darwin-t said:
Dalite said:

Thanks for that. But there is nothing there that negates the use of the GoPro on the FC40, is there? :D

The FC40 has a range of 500 yards, doesn't it? What is the range of the P1?

Absolutely nothing that negates use of a GoPro; even using GoPro wifi is not a conflict with the FC40.

I have never flown either FC40 I have to the point that loss of signal caused RAP to kick in and turned it around. As far as a balanced approach goes, the FC40 has a flight time, range, and wifi capabilities that make it a complete system as it comes out of the box.

It doesn't require any FPV transmitters or antennas, it doesn't require FPV monitor. With a fast enough Micro SD card, the wifi signal is well matched to the controller range.

I have flown mine with a H3+ Black in the waterproof case set to video 1080p @ 30 fps, while taking 12mp still every 5 seconds.
An average flight yields up to 8 minutes of video and 70 plus stills. I just set the angle of the GoPro for the altitude I need to allow the wide field ov view capture the area I am shooting. Most of what I shoot consists go flying up to around 300 feet, doing a few slow rotations to get well spaced stills, then flying out and shooting toward the center from a number of different points.

On one of mine, I now have the updated main board and a H3-D2 Zenmuse. It performs great with the stock battery, and 5 to 7 minute flights.

If you want to fly FPV beyond line of sight, the 2.4 Ghz P2 gives longer range and flight times needed to get distant footage, but requires a FPV system to see where it is. You can try to achieve the same goal with the P1, but shorter flight time limits the distance you can travel; not transmitter range.

Harlequin said:
Great posts guys.

Any suggestions on what and where to buy though for the mount, gimbal and connections...?

I would say 8/10 times, you are going to be buying from China.
If you do find a gimbal you want from a US store, you might be paying more.

2 Cheap and popular gimbals are the goodluckbuy gimbal and the walkera gimbal

I believe the walkera is slightly lighter than the goodluckbuy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr