Dont upgrade=voided warranty!!

I still do not see where it says "will void your warranty" if your firmware is not up to date. Safety implications are different from warranty implications in my mind. I need to read that "disclaimer" that is presented when you decline the firmware update prior to flight; warranty implications must be stated there.

Again, my interest/debate here is not IF you should or should not upgrade your firmware but the specific warranty implications based on action taken or not taken. The reality is I am very surprised I have had such a difficult time finding the exact line where non current firmware at time of crash/incident voids warranty. I would have expected that to be one of the first lines written.
You found the REAL proof in my invoice!!!!

Page 8 of the Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced Safety Guidelines and Disclaimer (V1.2) Clearly states: "For safety, always update the firmware to the latest version when an upgrade notification is shown in the app."
It also states that if you choose to ignore the current firmware update, you are required to accept the prompted disclaimer. I have personally not chosen to ignore any firmware updates so I can only assume that the "prompted disclaimer" probably has language to the effect that your warranty is voided if you fly without updating.

Considering the language used I would think choosing to not upgrade your firmware could increase your liability if your Phantom causes some damage due to an aircraft failure and there are attempts to put the fault on DJI. Good to be aware of, if the benefits of the older firmware outweigh the risk than so be it, up to the operator to choose.

I think it would be great if OP could upload his flight log so we can better analyze the situation. I think Oso might be right, it might not have anything to do with the firmware upgrade.

Reactions: phxbird57
I think it would be great if OP could upload his flight log so we can better analyze the situation. I think Oso might be right, it might not have anything to do with the firmware upgrade.
That's what it says on the invoice and that's what DJI customer service confirm when I called him

I know that I am in the minority, but it reads differently to me. I see the remarks as two unrelated comments, but I'm just guessing of course like all of us.

1. Non warranty repair per flight log analysis.
They checked the log and found something that happened to the Phantom other than a defect and are denying the warranty claim.

2. Craft required update before flight.
DJI states that they will update to the newest FW unless requested not to on the repair form. They went ahead and updated to the latest (1.6) which had been released while they had your Phantom.
Oso, if I was reading a post on here that's the way I would interpret it too so you're not far off base.
(1) I talked to DJ I customer service and they said from what they can tell in the notes it needed updated that's why it wasn't under warranty, now mind you it was just customer service not the actual repair department and he didn't sound like he knew much more than what he was reading in front of them.
(2) I don't believe it to be the case that they updated it for me because the way I understand it they have not done any repairs at all only assessed the repairs and they're awaiting my payment. If they do not receive payment within seven days of the assessment they will send the unit back to me unfixed to which it states if I wish to have it fixed at another date I may call Service and arrange to have it repaired at that time

First, Sorry for your unfortunate crash... That's always bad news.

Now

From my reading, they voided the warranty because it wasn't updated. Which in my opinion seems logical. They push out updates to prevent issues that would cause a failure leading to a crash. Why would they honor a warranty repair when the owner doesn't update the aircraft. It just doesn't follow. Those choosing to forego an update should understand that they are flying at their own risk. If you update and it fails because of the update I would say that DJI should honor the repair. My .02

Oso, if I was reading a post on here that's the way I would interpret it too so you're not far off base.
(1) I talked to DJ I customer service and they said from what they can tell in the notes it needed updated that's why it wasn't under warranty, now mind you it was just customer service not the actual repair department and he didn't sound like he knew much more than what he was reading in front of them.
(2) I don't believe it to be the case that they updated it for me because the way I understand it they have not done any repairs at all only assessed the repairs and they're awaiting my payment. If they do not receive payment within seven days of the assessment they will send the unit back to me unfixed to which it states if I wish to have it fixed at another date I may call Service and arrange to have it repaired at that time
All I knew when I posted yesterday was your invoice and your comment that you had emailed the repair facility and were still waiting for their response. With the added info that you spoke with them directly, your assessment does make more sense. If true that there was nothing disqualifying in the flight log, I can't see how they wouldn't honor your repair request.

Dji got back to me and i dont fully understand what the misunderstanding was but they're pushing it thru under warranty[emoji41]
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1451664283.710715.jpg

Reactions: Oso
I can only assume that the "prompted disclaimer" probably has language to the effect that your warranty is voided if you fly without updating.

I rather doubt that. I don't see anything in the manual or other documentation that REQUIRES you to be on the current firmware. Think about it - you are languidly floating on your boat in a South Pacific paradise, disconnected from the Internet, cell phones and McDonalds, taking beautiful pictures of the surrounding terrain. DJI nefariously pushes out a new firmware version. Let's say, for the purposes of this argument, that it was version 1.6 which presumably dealt with cold weather battery behavior.

You're flying along, the little stress crack that you did not notice before becomes a big stress crack and the bird unceremoniously plummets to the ground. Stress cracks are a known fault and DJI has been fixing this issue under warranty.

So, now DJI can hide behind 'the firmware wasn't current'? I really don't think so.

Reactions: ScatSpeak
I agree with the one of the previous posters. Those are two separate comments on the repair sheet.

No warranty per flight log - user input? Tree strike? Doesn't say.

Craft needed update - non related to first statement.

But, who knows? Only DJI.

Last edited:
I agree with the one of the previous posters. Those are two separate comments on the repair sheet.

No warranty per flight log - user input? Tree strike? Doesn't say.

Craft needed update - non related to first statement.

But, who know? Only DJI.
Yeah I asked him specifically what the problem was they would not specify

I'm really excited that they are coming through for you and fixing your aircraft.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I rather doubt that. I don't see anything in the manual or other documentation that REQUIRES you to be on the current firmware. Think about it - you are languidly floating on your boat in a South Pacific paradise, disconnected from the Internet, cell phones and McDonalds, taking beautiful pictures of the surrounding terrain. DJI nefariously pushes out a new firmware version. Let's say, for the purposes of this argument, that it was version 1.6 which presumably dealt with cold weather battery behavior.

You're flying along, the little stress crack that you did not notice before becomes a big stress crack and the bird unceremoniously plummets to the ground. Stress cracks are a known fault and DJI has been fixing this issue under warranty.

So, now DJI can hide behind 'the firmware wasn't current'? I really don't think so.

Your reasoning is based wholly on your own opinion, mine is based off of what I read in DJI literature. Go ahead and scroll back up and read what I posted, if you are in the middle of the ocean with no internet connection, then you certainly wouldn't be able to decline the software update and click accept on the disclaimer.

If that was your point, then it was seriously lost by posting a whole bunch of un-related information. Maybe stay on point next time, if you're after a better succinct discussion.
Been busy, but I never forgot you. Yeah, well, ten people liked my post, and zero for yours...
So, what's up? Hahaha

See bro, we are here, trying to educate others where it helps, not belittle, run down and generally throw insults, and unkind remarks...
Please read the forum rules and guidelines. Thanks.
YEAH & RTFM too. ;-) Yo!!

RedHotPoker

Been busy, but I never forgot you. Yeah, well, ten people liked my post, and zero for yours...
So, what's up? Hahaha

YEAH & RTFM too
Oh, I hadn't given this conversation another thought. Sorry it's been on your mind, maybe find some better things to occupy your free time.

As for the manual, this is the one that came with the unit and batteries.
sEWW5RT.png

Your post was educational, just had nothing to do with the subject at hand. Which was firmware and warranty claims.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20