Don't understand litchi/3rd party apps.

Yes, read/research more before asking potentially redundant questions.

Don't want to mean, but this has been discussed at length.
I am not OP but I always try to search for the answer before I ask a question but I also like to just ask the question because you never know where the conversation could take off too and you may meet some new friends along the way. Pretty much everything these days has been asked and answered if we just tell everybody to search for their answer what is the point of a forum. Mr Jacob may as well just shut the forum down and have a wiki instead at that point.

Hence why I'm not trying to be mean.

It's just that redundant questions reduce the signal to noise ratio for everyone on the forum.

I firmly believe in the "there are no dumb questions", just redundant ones.

With respect, I thanked you for your advice in the hope to send you on your way without further debate.

However my question was clearly not "redundant", as it was partially iOS specific in regards to the Litchi App which was only released on the 21st December 2015. So it was hardly a subject that would have been definitively discussed and "redundant", as you claim.

I am here to learn, feel relaxed and not worry about upsetting oversensitive people and grammar police etc… As you are not contributing to this thread, as others have done without offence. I can only suggest you move along, as there is nothing for you here and perhaps reduce the signal noise you are concerned about. :eek:

For iOS, Litchi has only recently released their version for that and it is much inferior to the Android version (by design)... I use the Android version and it is far SUPERIOR to the DJI GO app for use of the intelligent flight modes.

Very interesting.

However I have the dilemma in that I have a pretty hopeless Android tablet device [cheap..]. On my first flight I lost Video feed briefly a couple of times with the DJI App, which was not a big issue as I was flying in beginner mode. However it knocked my confidence a little for future longer range runs. I used my iPhone 6 after that which felt more intuitive and responsive, but was too small to be useful for me personally.

I found a deal and have ordered an iPad mini 2 with Cellular [as my iPad mini 1 is not supported at all] to be able to use the dynamic GPS features etc in the DJI and any 3rd party Apps, as I use a boat in the summer.

I will have to wait and hope that the iOS version of Litchi evolves in time.

iOS specific in regards to the Litchi App which was only released on the 21st December 2015

But the Android version of Litchi has been out for much, much longer and has many more features and capabilities than the iOS variant... but the common features behave the same way on both so GS related answers from the Android variant will be applicable to the iOS variant.

I think that the key take-away from @Shammyh comments is just to remind that in this very active forum many topics get quite a bit of attention and response very quickly so it can become frustrating when the question being asked has been asked and answered very very well in another thread some time ago (or before) that could be found through simple searching...

What I find to be most helpful is when someone at least offers clarification in their original posting that they've searched and found and read many threads that might relate (when they exist) but aren't specifically what YOU are trying to understand.

If you have demonstrated that effort has been made and you're not just another "jump in and do nothing but ask this basic question that has an answer already found in this forum or in the manual or on the developers website FAQs or their forum" type, you're gonna get better reactions instead of the alternative...

We all want to learn from and also contribute to the success of others, but at the same time, when there are volumes of information already existing that goes ignored or untapped by new participants, it's easy to get a bit testy and say "RTFM... I did, why can't you?"...

I'd like to mention another 3-rd part app: Dream Flights (www.dreamflights.pro).
It's concept is not a "replica of DJI Go, but better", but to provide brand new function - the control of Phantom by tilting and turning head and body in VR glasses - for free flight experience.
I wouldnt recommend this to a new owner due that the VR has its own complexity....and what about mentioning a spotter?
I understand you add some features, but $49?

Reactions: Flyer91
But the Android version of Litchi has been out for much, much longer and has many more features and capabilities than the iOS variant... but the common features behave the same way on both so GS related answers from the Android variant will be applicable to the iOS variant.

I think that the key take-away from @Shammyh comments is just to remind that in this very active forum many topics get quite a bit of attention and response very quickly so it can become frustrating when the question being asked has been asked and answered very very well in another thread some time ago (or before) that could be found through simple searching...

What I find to be most helpful is when someone at least offers clarification in their original posting that they've searched and found and read many threads that might relate (when they exist) but aren't specifically what YOU are trying to understand.

If you have demonstrated that effort has been made and you're not just another "jump in and do nothing but ask this basic question that has an answer already found in this forum or in the manual or on the developers website FAQs or their forum" type, you're gonna get better reactions instead of the alternative...

We all want to learn from and also contribute to the success of others, but at the same time, when there are volumes of information already existing that goes ignored or untapped by new participants, it's easy to get a bit testy and say "RTFM... I did, why can't you?"...

To be clear, my original post asked for feedback with experience of the iOS Litchi App's, not it's features, as I had already checked on them and why I wanted feedback before paying for the App. Simply because I could not find what I was looking for, either on the iTunes store in terms of feedback, or on the forum search I did.

Especially given that I felt the DJI App behaved slightly different on my Android device, as opposed to my iOS one. You have new owners and members like me joining everyday and so that experience base is dynamic and going to be updating everyday and should not by be confined to historic posts, or Wiki by that same nature. In fact some of what I have researched on the forum has become redundant due to firmware updates correcting them.

It is not like I PM'd anybody.. People have the option to simply ignore and passover the questions / posts they do not want to answer, or have no interest in. That is what I do on other specific interest forums.

Lets forget I asked… :)

With respect, I thanked you for your advice in the hope to send you on your way without further debate.

However my question was clearly not "redundant", as it was partially iOS specific in regards to the Litchi App which was only released on the 21st December 2015. So it was hardly a subject that would have been definitively discussed and "redundant", as you claim.

I am here to learn, feel relaxed and not worry about upsetting oversensitive people and grammar police etc… As you are not contributing to this thread, as others have done without offence. I can only suggest you move along, as there is nothing for you here and perhaps reduce the signal noise you are concerned about. :eek:
I wholeheartedly agree with flyer. The 2 posts this guy made did absolutely nothing to further this very informative discussion. He did not even give a redirect to where one might research the topic. Perhaps all this guy is worried about is how many posts he has regardless of its useless content. Well said flyer. I too, don't need crap when I ask a question.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Damocleez
To be clear, my original post asked for feedback with experience of the iOS Litchi App's, not it's features, as I had already checked on them and why I wanted feedback before paying for the App. Simply because I could not find what I was looking for, either on the iTunes store in terms of feedback, or on the forum search I did.

Especially given that I felt the DJI App behaved slightly different on my Android device, as opposed to my iOS one. You have new owners and members like me joining everyday and so that experience base is dynamic and going to be updating everyday and should not by be confined to historic posts, or Wiki by that same nature. In fact some of what I have researched on the forum has become redundant due to firmware updates correcting them.

It is not like I PM'd anybody.. People have the option to simply ignore and passover the questions / posts they do not want to answer, or have no interest in. That is what I do on other specific interest forums.

Lets forget I asked… :)

Litchi now on iOS | DJI Phantom Forum (1st post: 12/1/15, Last Post: Yesterday)

iOS Waypoint App Comparison: Litchi 1.0 vs Autopilot 3.0 | DJI Phantom Forum (1st Post: 12/21/15, Last Post: 1/1/16)

The second thread in particular has a detailed write-up on Litchi and Auto-Pilot in their current versions.
In fact I learned a thing or two just skimming over it.

Also, Help - Litchi has tons of useful info and the Litchi Forums on Google Groups are excellent for technical/specific questions.
The developer is quite responsive.

I wholeheartedly agree with flyer. The 2 posts this guy made did absolutely nothing to further this very informative discussion. He did not even give a redirect to where one might research the topic. Perhaps all this guy is worried about is how many posts he has regardless of its useless content. Well said flyer. I too, don't need crap when I ask a question.

Feel free to browse my post history, I believe it speaks for itself.
I neither gain nor desire validation from a larger "post count". In fact, quite the opposite.

I'm also not into bashing people; I'm into drones, technology, and aiding other like-minded folk.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScatSpeak
I wouldnt recommend this to a new owner due that the VR has its own complexity....and what about mentioning a spotter?
I understand you add some features, but $49?

I'd strongly recommend that anyone thinking about using the Dream Flights app, first download the free demo, and then try running it *a number of times* to make sure it works properly on your driod device, every time.

I've tried it on a Proscan 10, an LG built Nexus 5, and a Motorola built Nexus 6, and even though it specifically says it is compatible for use with these devices (on the download page under the "This app is compatible with some of your devices" drop down menu) it not only operates differently on each of my devices, it actually intermittently operates differently on the 'same' device, and provides different error messages.

I did send Dream Flights the error message via the app's "Report" feature.

At a $50 price for the app, and after trying the free demo's simulator, it's really no surprise to me that the total number of times the $50 app has been downloaded is only between 1 to 5, while the total installs of the demo/sim has been 50-100.
That might be a clue as to how other people are getting along with the demo/sim, and if like me ... are just not ready to trust their Phantom to the actual flight app.

IMHO: File this one under "not quite yet ready for prime time" ....

Reactions: aka1ceman
I flew 3 batteries with my iPhone all using the Litchi app yesterday. I have a fully updated P3P and had zero problems yesterday. I used my phone due to the fact my iPad is wifi only. Here is some clips, all flown with Litchi.

Reactions: Raanan
I used my phone due to the fact my iPad is wifi only
So I guess your iPad doesn't have GPS built-in?...

I use my WiFi Samsung tablet exclusively and just cache the maps for the area I'm gonna fly.... works great.... though to fly a preplanned GS mission you don't even need GPS on the device because the P3 has it and knows what to do and where it is...

So I guess your iPad doesn't have GPS built-in?...

I use my WiFi Samsung tablet exclusively and just cache the maps for the area I'm gonna fly.... works great.... though to fly a preplanned GS mission you don't even need GPS on the device because the P3 has it and knows what to do and where it is...

The iPad will not show map data unless you cache it before hand. If I pre-plan the mission from home the iPad works just fine but if you just pick a spot on the fly, you need internet.

Out of curiosity with litchi and the latest firmware on the p3p are we still limited to 500m for height?

Yes, this is constrained by the DJI firmware.

To be clear, my original post asked for feedback with experience of the iOS Litchi App's, not it's features

Indeed you did.... it was a bit of a hijack from the OP topic though and that's what threw me off a bit... and I see you've now found some of the few other iOS specific threads discussing Litchi...

Sorry not to address you're specific desire and diversion from the OP, I have lots of experience using the Android version of Litchi but 0% with the iOS version because it only supports the GS feature (beyond default presentation UI for just flying around)... and I don't need the iOS version because I exclusively use an Android tablet that I bought expressly for flying my P3 and it was much, much cheaper than any similar sized iOS device (and has GPS without needing cellular).

You're best bet to acquire iOS specific experiential input is probably to open a thread dedicated to that topic... sorry I couldn't be of more assistance to you.

Why would you have to change your plan? I was with bell before and now with Telus in Canada had no issues of being able to Hotspot my tablet to my phone. Then the tablet is using my phones data. I don't understand why you would have to change your plan. If you are 100% sure that is one thing but if you are going by word of mouth either check with your courier or try it and see.

Cheers... Chris

Also, if you have a control issue [using Litchi etc] causing damage etc, I would be unsure that DJI would take responsibility if using a unofficial App.
This is answered on our FAQ here, and it applies to all third-party apps, not just Autopilot.

This thread does well to compare the third-party offerings, but to answer the original question, we have created some lists of differences between DJI GO and Autopilot. Some of these things may apply to other third-party apps, depending on the design decisions they have made.
Overall Differentiators
Waypoint Mode Differentiators

Hope this helps!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik