Don't try "Ground Station" with P2V+ in "Naza Mode"

Reaction score
I tried out the Ground Station today, flying the Phantom 2 Vision Plus in NAZA-M mode, AND GOT AWAY WITH IT. :idea:

Sweat was dripping down my face on a cold winters day! :shock: Unfortunately I only switched on video recording after take-off.

My bird took off like a wild thing (low and left), headed in the wrong direction, at double the speed I set, but luckily quickly gained the height I set on my 1st waypoint, and missed the trees I was scared off. Seeing something is wrong I paused the waypoint flight plan and the Phantom hovered close to the trees, but I could not gain control. So I pressed the "Go Home" button on the ground station, but nothing happened. Meanwhile the Phantom was swirling all over the place. Next I flipped the S2 switch to "Home Course" and pulled back on the throttle. Nothing happened. Next I flipped the S1 switch to bottom position "Fail-safe" but still no reaction.

Then I flipped the S1 switch back to GPS mode and at last got full control. :D

Afterwards I looked it up and found that: "The P2V+ waypoints system is not compatible with the Naza or the Naza-M" - so don't try it. :!:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/ViOkSn6z_rE[/youtube]

GustavL said:
I tried out the Ground Station today, flying the Phantom 2 Vision Plus in NAZA-M mode, AND GOT AWAY WITH IT. :idea:

Sweat was dripping down my face on a cold winters day! :shock: Unfortunately I only switched on video recording after take-off.

My bird took off like a wild thing (low and left), headed in the wrong direction, at double the speed I set, but luckily quickly gained the height I set on my 1st waypoint, and missed the trees I was scared off. Seeing something is wrong I paused the waypoint flight plan and the Phantom hovered close to the trees, but I could not gain control. So I pressed the "Go Home" button on the ground station, but nothing happened. Meanwhile the Phantom was swirling all over the place. Next I flipped the S2 switch to "Home Course" and pulled back on the throttle. Nothing happened. Next I flipped the S1 switch to bottom position "Fail-safe" but still no reaction.

Then I flipped the S1 switch back to GPS mode and at last got full control. :D

Afterwards I looked it up and found that: "The P2V+ waypoints system is not compatible with the Naza or the Naza-M" - so don't try it. :!:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/ViOkSn6z_rE[/youtube]

I didn't have any problems with it last week with my P2V. And I've been in Naza-M mode for some time. Did you RTFM? They updated the manual after the app was updated to include instructions for its use.

I looked up on DJI website under Phantom 2 Vision + "FAQ"

It says : "The Vision waypoints system is not compatible with the Naza or the Naza-M, however the Naza-M can be used with iPad ground station."

I think it's got everything to do with what I said above, as afterwards I flew as normal and had no problems.

GustavL said:
I looked up on DJI website under Phantom 2 Vision + "FAQ"

It says : "The Vision waypoints system is not compatible with the Naza or the Naza-M, however the Naza-M can be used with iPad ground station."

I think it's got everything to do with what I said above, as afterwards I flew as normal and had no problems.

That's referring to the Non-P2 NAZA controllers in other Phantoms and various platforms, not "NAZA mode" in the P2. The P2 Actually has a NAZA in it, with different firmware. The note you see there is just letting consumers know they can't use the P2V's special control setup in other aircraft.

As mentioned above, there's nothing about just using NAZA mode with the GS on the P2, it sounds like some of the settings or switch positions where not where they needed to be when you tried to fly in that mode. I would suggest some practice flying in NAZA mode without the GS enabled and get used to its differences first. This is the manual that has all the info about how things work in NAZA Mode for the P2: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .26_en.pdf

Dji are world experts at translating things wrong and writing really confusing info on their website and user manuals. The waypoints function is fully compatible with the p2v and p2v+. OI Photography is dead right. Dji sell the naza flight controller on its own for self builds and for other manufacturers. Its basically saying that all other copters using the standalone naza flight controller cant use waypoints, but of course isn't written like that because thats just what dji do best. I'd suggest trying out waypoints again in a wide open area (no trees, they have an evil streak and luv to jump out at you). Not dissing you but I think you may have misunderstood how to use the function. Plot a small course making sure you set correct height limits for each point and experement with different speeds. You'll get there mate, just glad we aren't reading about another smashed gimbal. Happy and safe flying!

GustavL said:
but luckily quickly gained the height I set on my 1st waypoint, and missed the trees I was scared off.

I've found that it's typically best to set your 1st waypoint directly above, or in the near vicinity of home point. This allows you to establish initial altitude. If you have the first waypoint far away, the Phantom is going to just take off at an angle that would get it from the initial altitude of the home point (zero) to the altitude of that first waypoint in a straight hypotenuse. I'm betting this is what you're describing, though it's tough to say without more info.

GustavL said:
Seeing something is wrong I paused the waypoint flight plan and the Phantom hovered close to the trees, but I could not gain control. So I pressed the "Go Home" button on the ground station, but nothing happened. Meanwhile the Phantom was swirling all over the place. Next I flipped the S2 switch to "Home Course" and pulled back on the throttle. Nothing happened. Next I flipped the S1 switch to bottom position "Fail-safe" but still no reaction.

Then I flipped the S1 switch back to GPS mode and at last got full control.

That's actually exactly as designed. Flipping S1 down and back up is what cancels a waypoint mission. Nothing else is really able to override, even while the mission is paused. I'm guessing someone needs to spend a little time with the latest User Guide ;-)

Oh... yes... forgot... I'm flying in NAZA, as well... not having ANY issues with waypointing or the ground station functions.

ProfessorStein said:
GustavL said:
but luckily quickly gained the height I set on my 1st waypoint, and missed the trees I was scared off.

I've found that it's typically best to set your 1st waypoint directly above, or in the near vicinity of home point. This allows you to establish initial altitude. If you have the first waypoint far away, the Phantom is going to just take off at an angle that would get it from the initial altitude of the home point (zero) to the altitude of that first waypoint in a straight hypotenuse. I'm betting this is what you're describing, though it's tough to say without more info.

GustavL said:
Seeing something is wrong I paused the waypoint flight plan and the Phantom hovered close to the trees, but I could not gain control. So I pressed the "Go Home" button on the ground station, but nothing happened. Meanwhile the Phantom was swirling all over the place. Next I flipped the S2 switch to "Home Course" and pulled back on the throttle. Nothing happened. Next I flipped the S1 switch to bottom position "Fail-safe" but still no reaction.

Then I flipped the S1 switch back to GPS mode and at last got full control.

That's actually exactly as designed. Flipping S1 down and back up is what cancels a waypoint mission. Nothing else is really able to override, even while the mission is paused. I'm guessing someone needs to spend a little time with the latest User Guide ;-)

Oh... yes... forgot... I'm flying in NAZA, as well... not having ANY issues with waypointing or the ground station functions.

Only issue I'm having is having to drive far enough away from my regular flight areas to make it work. Airports. I can fly manually, but not via waypoints unless I get a little further out.

Always, Always set the first waypoint above or very close to launch location especially if you have trees or anything between you and the first waypoint. it will not go straight up, as it will ascend as it progresses to the 1st waypoint. also when you pause it will just sit there in hover, also activating the RTH will also cause the bird to hover for several seconds some have said up to 15 seconds before returning home.

I actually thought that NAZA-M mode was *required* for GS. So I had to learn how to deal with that first. But GS has always worked perfectly for me in NAZA-M. ...at least once I figured out which way I was pointed relative to the map. Ooops. :)

DCGOO said:
I actually thought that NAZA-M mode was *required* for GS. So I had to learn how to deal with that first. But GS has always worked perfectly for me in NAZA-M. ...at least once I figured out which way I was pointed relative to the map. Ooops. :)

Fortunately my phone articulates the map for the direction I am facing. I think too you can press the centering button on the GS screen and it will orientate you to the point on on the map. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding that feature.

I have not encounter problem with P2V+ in NAZA-M mode.

As for setting 1st waypoint, I used to do that. I found it "safer" to simply fly to the "minimum safe height" then hit Go from there.

An interesting thread as I was a bit confused about the Naza M / Ground Station conflict and was hesitant to try it until I knew more. Now I do so thank you all. :)

There is no conflict ! Also you have to swipe top right corner of screen to get into the ground station page.

Also ...(!) Don't set the first waypoint immediately behind the nose. Unless you want to see your Phantom do the cutest back flip you are likely to see in your flying career. I chased earthworms using that very maneuver.

Re: Don't try "Ground Station" with P2V+ in "Naza Mode"

Drd, that really happened?

I had a crash using waypoints in naza mode a few weekends ago. Was flying at 15ft up trying to use waypoints to get a stable speed so my friends could bike behind it. It got uncomfortably low so I tried to take manual control but forgot I was in course lock mode. Not sure what happened next, but it crashed into the ground and skidded a few feet until slamming into a guardrail. HARD. Still not 100% sure what happened but my friends who were closer say it just started veering to the side and towards the ground.

I wouldn't have pushed the height DOWN as a scare reaction.. I don't think it was my fault, I have enough experience to know not to do that!

So overall I'm still hesitant of mixing naza and waypoints. After all, why would the manual say that if its not true?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers