Don't laugh at my idea.

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using my phantom to put Christmas lights on a very tall tree of mine. Any thoughts on how to disconnect the line once I reach the top?

bigger problem is how are you going to attach the lights to power? either the lights to go from top to bottom will be too heavy, or the extension cord going to the lights will be too heavy.

Only simple way that comes to my mind is a hook of some sort on a rigid wire or "pole" that extends down a couple feet. So once the light string is resting on the tree, you descend slightly then ascend and it should let go. Of course this has the potential to failure miserably, and this is assuming no complex electrically controlled device is being used.

Though if you wanted to go a different route and had a spare receiver and transmitter lying around...it would not be difficult to throw together a device with a servo that straps to the landing gear.

Think of the weight of the string of lights.
You might be better to use the Phantom to string a light (weight) line and use that to pull the lights into place.
Hmmm, not a bad idea.

bigger problem is how are you going to attach the lights to power? either the lights to go from top to bottom will be too heavy, or the extension cord going to the lights will be too heavy.
I would connect everything on the ground.

I would rather use a slingshot with a 1oz fishing weight to fire some 50lb test over the tree and pull the lights up that way.. Sure not as exciting but keeps the P3 safe on the ground..

Wait for a Wendy day and fly a kite, you'd be better off. It has a string already.

I use my little pet monkey to get ours up there and only have to pay a few bananas to reward him :)
JK;) I would go with Pete and the slingshot on this one as I have seen it done :)

Reactions: 750r
First, tie thin fishing line (that has enough tolerance for friction) to the landing gear of your bird, and fly over the tree, pull away horizontally, then return back nearer to tree, descend, so that the line pass over ”Y" shaped branch near the top of the tree. Then, tie thicker wire to the line, pull from opposite. Tie more thick wire to the 2nd wire and pull. Finally fix a light (maybe with support bar) and electric line to the 3rd wire, and pull. The 3rd wire could be left.

If the tree don't have "Y" shaped branch at the top, prepare "Y" shaped statue (or pulley), of which below part is reversed funnel, hung it with hook with "V" shaped line tied to both two P3 landing gears. Fly above the tree, aim with FPV camera full down, slowly down, and when the top of the tree is inserted into funnel, descend a bit to detach the hook from "V" shaped line, ascend P3P. Then do the above operation.

The problem is to fix the light (with bar) on the top of the tree - how about using "POI" operation? The 3rd wire above is tied parallel with thin line (with big friction this time), you tie the line to P3 landing gear softly, fly up, do "POI" action turning 20-30 rounds around the light and bar, then fly away from the tree so remove the line from gear.

Actually I don't believe this plan goes well, sorry. :)
_R060999.JPG

Last edited:
I use my little pet monkey to get ours up there and only have to pay a few bananas to reward him :)
Yes Dirk, and a quad just happened to see the poor little guy up on the eave of your house and got a picture!
7g6paw669xb2zc76g.jpg

I heard it mentioned they were gonna report you to the ASPCA...
Just a heads up...
HA!
BOT

Last edited:
Reactions: 750r and dirkclod
LOL, I just read all the vicious and cruel remarks above. That's what I like about this forum. :D
FWIW, my solution to the tree stringing question would be to change religions. Easier, safer and cheaper at Christmas.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl