Don't know which model Phantom

Reaction score
Someone is trying to make a trade with me for a Phantom model P 330. Also the back of the controller does NOT have the gimbal control. Is this the 1.1.1 version or the original Phantom? Can't find answer anywhere.

Thank you all!

If it has two antennas on the Phantom it's a 1.1.1.

Thanks Woody, unfortunately I don't have access to the machine, so I have to go by the model number and transmitter.

discv said:
What's a Phantom P330? DJI F330 perhaps.

For at least the P1's, the actual model number was P330 (also found on the mainboard and other components).

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to tell which P1 it is without more info...it could be a 1.1.1 or any of the earlier models. I would ask the seller if he could at least tell you how many antennae it has coming out of the shell.

Well, unless I am mistaken the 111 version has the gimbal control knob on the back of the transmitter. His does not, therefore assuming it's a version 1. Please clarify if I'm mistaken.

I may be wrong, but I think the earlier Phantoms use a model SR6 controller and the 1.1.1 uses a DJ6 controller. The model # is on the back, upper right side. Ask if it has two receiver antennas and self-tightening props.

I know the 1.1.1 doesn't come with the upgrade board installed so I thought the gimbal lever had to be added to the controller as well, but mine is a 1.2 so I can't say for sure.

Either way, even if the controller does have the lever, it could just be an earlier model that the owner added it to. The same is true for the DJ6 controller Woody mentioned, but that might be your best way to tell at this point.

Yeah I'm almost positive it's the early one. I don't know why DJI didn't just put the **** version numbers on the box? Would be so much easier.

Guys is it possible to hook up a gimbal to the Phantom 1? I think I would need to purchase a pmu and gcu correct? I mean I just can't plug it into the NAZA right?

Jtp1028 said:
Guys is it possible to hook up a gimbal to the Phantom 1? I think I would need to purchase a pmu and gcu correct? I mean I just can't plug it into the NAZA right?

You will need either the PMU+GCU, or you can just get the P1 upgrade board which has both of those components built in: http://www.allerc.com/dji-phantom-zenmu ... -8536.html

The upgrade board also includes the tilt lever to install on the back of your controller.

No problem! Just note that the upgrade board is for use with DJI's Zenmuse gimbals (H3-2D/H3-3D)...if you're planning on getting another brand then you don't necessarily need any of those components, just a power connection to the Aux lead in the Phantom.

That upgrade board was originally designed for using with the H3-2D but I've been using it with an H3-3D and it works fine :)

Are you kidding me? You can put the 3 axis gimbal on that board and it will work without further mods? And all 3 axis work? I don't get it how is that possible? Are you jerking my chicken bone?

No bone jerking here, I promise ;)

Only based on my testing and observations, it seems that the "GCU" (either stand-alone or built in to the upgrade board) is really just a data bridge between the gimbal and the sensors in the NAZA, along with a simple power regulator...I think the gimbal uses that data but combines it with its own internal sensors to calculate the counter-motion needed to stabilize. It's also worth noting that the stand-alone GCU you can get for the H3-2D seems to be the exact same hardware as the one for the H3-3D. In short, DJI's non-standard way of doing things actually ends up benefitting those with the upgrade board or GCU for H3-2D who want to use an H3-3D instead.

It looks like DJI has baked some newer magic in to the P2 firmware that helps keep the H3-3D from catching the landing gear in the shots, but even without that new trick in the upgrade board I rarely see the legs unless I'm doing some extremely quick yaw movements. Shooting in Med instead of Wide helps with that a lot too.

I should point out too that the one caveat to the upgrade board is that it doesn't provide you with the canbus port you may want for additions like an iOSD mini or Groundstation. But the good news is that the upgrade board does give you a way to solder a canbus port directly to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1nq44GDkOc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72nFMYndRXo

That is amazing! I'm just boggled because I know the original Naza can only support 2d. So again when you yaw the gimbal compensates perfectly? So your getting no jerkiness at all. Btw thanks for the info.

I just made this with my cell phone real quick, forgive the quality, but this is the H3-3D on my Phantom 1.5 (which is a P1 + upgrade board in a P2 shell):

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1aRLLdqls0[/youtube]

Other than the NAZA-lite (and maybe even that), all versions of the NAZA should have no problems feeding the necessary data to a 3-axis gimbal, since they already have the sensors for that just to control flight. The NAZA in mine is a v1 with 4.02 firmware and as you can see it has no problems with the H3-3D. Truth :cool:

Jtp1028 said:
Why the p2 shell what's the difference

Bragging rights, and more room for internal batteries. In fact some have started using DJI's P2 batts after doing the conversion. I'm still happy with garden-variety lipo's

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers