don't get over confident

Reaction score
Had a bad day flying. First off dropped my Samsung tablet broke the screen. Next flight got brave and thought I could fly the bird right to me sitting down under a tree. Not to smart p3 hits the tree starts to come down from about five feet up. Tried to grab it motors still going cut my arm pretty good. Lucky bird is fine lesson learned dont get to confident things can go from good to bad real fast. 20150624_161949.jpg
20150624_161949.jpg

Reactions: AbsPapa
Definately feel that hand catching your quad, instead of landing it, is wrong. Only a matter of time before someone loses and eye, ear or God forbid worse...

Not sure where this practice began, but I wish it would end...
Thanks for sharing, it's about time the truth were told.

RedHotPoker

:rolleyes:
Definately feel that hand catching your quad, instead of landing it, is wrong. Only a matter of time before someone loses and eye, ear or God forbid worse...

RedHotPoker
Come on I have over 400 flights all hand caught since #5 never a issue and safer for the quad no motor dirt or tip over or sand blasting the camera lens

Use your brain hover just above head walk up from up wind and grab no danger if you have your eyes open

Last edited:

RedHotPoker

Oh No you did-ant! The rath of hand catchers is going to take this thread to 60 plus reasons why to catch a spinning blender! and how easy it is even for a novice. To LATE :(
battery.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: skyhighdiver
Little lessons learned along the way bro... as long as you come out of it a little wiser than the day before then it's all part of the hobby.

Things get hectic once in awhile and people will bag on you for it but everybody has had their own learning experiences along the way.

You can use these for rotor blades too...

Check these suggestion:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2433437

Avoid these 5 Mistakes for a better Flight Experience

Our hobby is supremely fun and rewarding, but it can also be dangerous and cause damage. Here's a list of 5 mistakes you should avoid to make your flying successful and most of all safe. This is not an exhaustive list, so please hit the reply button below and tell us what your mistakes to avoid are.

1. Flying Into The Sun

I'm sure it has happened to most of us at one point or another. You fly right into the sun and lose sight of your plane. It can temporarily blind you and by the time your eyes adjust back you can't find your model and it has crashed. Even with good sunglasses on, it is still hard to see a plane flying in the path of the sun. Just don't do it!

2. Flying Over the Pits

This is certainly a faux pas at any club field. There should be an established flight line that the aircraft do not cross where other pilots and spectators can safely watch from. If you have a control failure or mechanical issue and the plane veers off over that line (it happens more often than you'd think), then do your best to get the plane away from people and property. You should sacrifice the plane before endangering others. We call it "putting it in."

3. Flying Against the Pattern

If you are the only one flying then the sky is your oyster. As more and more planes fill the air like at events, then a flight pattern should be established. Usually this would be a circle pattern with the close pass to the flight stations going upwind and the far side of the circle would be heading downwind. Never fly against the pattern (flying downwind down the runway) as this has a high potential of causing a mid air collision.

4. Flying at the Crowd

This actually applies to real airplanes at airshows and is a good rule of thumb for us r/c guys too. You should never fly a plane towards a crowd of people. Your turns should be made going away so you can avoid doing this. If you are flying at a crowd and lose the radio signal or something happens (anything can happen) the plane has a high chance of hitting someone. That would ruin your day.

5. Hand Catching Your Quad

There are lots of videos of people doing this, but it is a very dangerous activity. You're putting your flesh and your face in close proximity to spinning props. Those props are very sharp and have enough power to sever a finger or worse. Please find a better way to land that doesn't put you at risk. If you look at the risk vs reward ratio it's a no brainer. The risk is insanely high for zero reward in doing it. Stay safe out there folks.

RedHotPoker

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 367
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Funny thing is my wife asked me why I didn't hand catch it like I did when she was there. Thats what i was attempting to do:(

Had a bad day flying. First off dropped my Samsung tablet broke the screen. Next flight got brave and thought I could fly the bird right to me sitting down under a tree. Not to smart p3 hits the tree starts to come down from about five feet up. Tried to grab it motors still going cut my arm pretty good. Lucky bird is fine lesson learned dont get to confident things can go from good to bad real fast.View attachment 22875View attachment 22875
+100 on this post and thanks for sharing it with humility. Too many people post things up saying how dare dji let me crash my phantom, it wasn't my fault and don't share a little bit of honesty because they can't swallow their pride. Well done mate, welcome to the club, we've all done the ******* stuff, I just wish others could take your attitude. Can't wait till you are showing us some wicked pics and vids. You'll get there, it took us all a bit of learning.

I hand catch and its very easy. I don't bring the phantom to me under a tree, I get it nice and steady a few feet from me about head high, reach out and grab it, keeping it steady at the same time as I turn off props

I guess if the wind were blowing 20 mph I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't be flying in extremely high wind anyway.

I have a racing quad, I would NEVER hand grab it,,,its just not stable enough, but the P3 just sits there

RedHotPoker

Um... I'm really confused how this thread turned into a hand vs land discussion...
No where does the original poster say that he was attempting a hand catch.
He crashes his P3 into a tree and tries to "catch" the P3 whilst its tumbling down whilst the motors are turning.

This is the OP freaking out and panicking and NOT about hand catching.

I have also hand caught with no problems. My point I am trying to make is new guys don't get over confident to soon. Like trying to fly the bird right to you sitting under a tree. Dumb move on my part will never try that again. Could have ended a lot worse.

Um... I'm really confused how this thread turned into a hand vs land discussion...
He crashes his P3 into a tree and tries to "catch" the P3 whilst its tumbling down whilst the motors are turning.

Next flight got brave and thought I could fly the bird right to me sitting down under a tree.

Close enough.

Yes thank you I wasn't attempting to hand catch to land the bird. I was trying to catch it before it hit the ground . And blades still going ouch!

Reactions: acherman

And? So? He messed up, we all do. Live and let live, I purposely put my arm into full throttle blades (drunk) and posted the video on this page somewhere a good while back just to prove a point. Where did it get me? A few small scratches and laughing with others who were laughing at/with me. We all make mistakes, I know I'll make more and you'll be the first to see when I post. Posts like this serve a purpose and so do the replies even if they do go slightly off the OP

Reactions: acherman

That RedHotPoker guy! He Instigated it! Ban him from the forums! Drag him out and rip him to shreds with props.
smily.jpg

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers