Don't Fly to Istanbul!

This maybe one of those times we should police ourselves. I've sent an email to the Republic of Turkey General Directorate Of State Airports Authority outing this guy and asking if they can do something about stopping him from endangering others and giving our hobby a black eye. I might encourage others to do likewise when they see stupidity take to the air.

I doubt if anyone else in Turkey will dare fly near an airport after the authorities make him the poster child example of what will happen to you if you do. You either need to be pretty ballsy or incredibly stupid to taunt the Turkish prison system.

He won't be using his photography website in the near future that's for sure.

This is one of the reasons I won't buy a inspire 1, I think it going to get very regulated soon, thanks to characters like this [emoji107]

Gadger said:
This is one of the reasons I won't buy a inspire 1, I think it going to get very regulated soon, thanks to characters like this [emoji107]
That's just a silly over reaction.
People misuse all kinds of things all the time and even cause major damage and injury but do you hear that cars will be banned or guns are going to be highly regulated any time soon? Lots of people over eat but is it likely that food police will be watching what you order in restaurants or buy at the supermarket?
Why would drones be any different?

Ivan said:
Does anyone here know exactly, will the phantom even power up the motors near an airport?!
I assume he switched to ATTI mode before liftoff, basically disabling GPS and not letting the phantom know where it is.

The owner of the vid is an absolute tosser.

The phantom will always try and acquire the sats no matter if you are in ATTI or not. The phantom just needs to confirm that the GPS is plugged in for the motors to start.
For educational purposes, you can go 1.08 or simply place a piece of foil on top of the phantom directly above the GPS module and blind it before heading to site.

I hope no one on this forum does this just to fly near no-fly zones.

LordEvil said:
Something to consider but maybe...... he had permission?

Do you really think he had permission considering (1) he took off from OUTSIDE of the airport, (2) he's flying over the airfield just as it gets dark, and (3) he intentionally covers his bottom lights with black tape so his lights cannot be detected?

LordEvil said:

I don't fu*king believe this!
Are you a troll or something?
Who in his right mind, or even crooked mind EVER give permission to fly a drone over airfields with planes landing and taking off ???

How can you even suggest such an absurdity?

It is people like him, and unfortunately like you - that are destroying this hobby.
Next thing to come, and I can already see it, is the slogan - Drones don't collide with airplanes, it's the people flying them.....

I really hope that this guy and anyone that does similar stupidities be put in jail, for recklessly endangering the public.
Unfortunately, or fortunately - if you see this video, we will all get to understand that regulation is absolutely necessary for this hobby.
Let's hope it gets in place before we have a tragedy.

"Kind & benevolent government....please regulate me!" :roll:

No amount of regulation or law will prevent stupidity. I can't speak to Turkish statutes, but I am confident there is already some law on their books that could be brought to bear against anyone so foolish as to not know it isn't safe to operate over a commercial airfield. If some idiot decides to put a bag over his head and zooms blindly down the freeway, we don't need a new law declaring it illegal.

Perhaps our Emperor will simply issue another Executive Order?

Foosy said:
LordEvil said:

Who in his right mind, or even crooked mind EVER give permission to fly a drone over airfields with planes landing and taking off ???

How can you even suggest such an absurdity?

It is people like him, and unfortunately like you - that are destroying this hobby.
Next thing to come, and I can already see it, is the slogan - Drones don't collide with airplanes, it's the people flying them.....

I really hope that this guy and anyone that does similar stupidities be put in jail, for recklessly endangering the public.
Unfortunately, or fortunately - if you see this video, we will all get to understand that regulation is absolutely necessary for this hobby.
Let's hope it gets in place before we have a tragedy.

You must live a shallow life little man judging me. All I said was maybe just maybe he had permission from the airport. That is what is wrong with people now days, too quick to judge.

If you explored the website you would also discover he is rides in a chopper at the same airport. His buddy I assume is taking the video on the ground at the airport, so again, maybe just maybe he had permission, buddy works the traffic controller, who knows.

And FYI I am not killing this hobby so go shove it.

It's these kinds of idiots that end up making life miserable for the rest of us. Someone here said "at least he wasn't in the flight pattern." Maybe. But major airports like that have VFR flight paths that are used by air planes to fly over the airport and through the airspace surrounding the airport. Without referring to a terminal chart you don't know what you are getting into. This idiot certainly had no clue. The FAA will use this as part of their reasoning for strict rules on flying our drones.

Scottintexas said:
..major airports like that have VFR flight paths that are used by air planes to fly over the airport and through the airspace surrounding the airport.

Absolutely. Once when I flew into JFK Airport our commercial jet was banking at what seemed like only a couple of hundred feet above the cars in the parking lot as we came in and lined up for a runway. An observer on the ground has no idea what the flight paths around an airport happen to be at any given time.

I have an airport near me that is about 6 or 7 miles away.

There is a very defined flight path for inbound and outbound aircraft. They are normally at 5000 feet or more by the time they go near our house.
However any fly arounds come very low at about 2000 feet or so and on a completely different trajectory to the others.
As our house is quite high the clearance is very little.
I would not fly my drone here as its too close to airport even though its not in a no fly zone.

The guy is an idiot and should be heavily penalised. The Turkish military love people taking photos of their planes, so much so a group of plane spotters were arrested some years ago for just note taking and a few snap shots.

Foosy said:

Apparently, permission to fly a drone over an active airfield has been given in the past.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMWeVvjXytE

Yes and you can tell it was done properly unlike the wxxker who did the original video.

Well, let's hope the guy had permission because if he didn't I'm guessing he's probably having a very bad day today.

Morons who fly over airports and want to get away with it cover them so they won't be detected. My money is on moron.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20