Don't chase birds

Reaction score
Don't chase birds - and other newbie thoughts

As a new flyer I've been making a list of Do's and Don'ts that I learn as I go. No doubt some of these things will be modified as I gain experience. My latest Don't is Don't chase birds, hence the title. Today, I got so focused on chasing a magpie that I didn't notice how close a wire fence was. I hit the wire fence, the Phantom flipped and fell about 8 ft onto its back. I quickly held the throttle back and shut it down. Fortunately, the only damage was to part of one of the prop protectors. Anyway, here's a bunch of Do's and Don'ts I've collected in my first five days as a new Phantom owner. Please feel free to add your own.

I use MS Excel for my logbook and prefix each entry with S for safety, P for procedural, and F for filming.

S Fish-eye lens makes things look further away than they are.
F Test fly/film the location before real filming.
F Better to film short segments than lose the long one.
F Remember to start and stop video.
F One run for filming, another run for pictures.
F Google-earth the location first, note perimeter.
P Securely pack away the lens cap & gimbal cage. (I lost my lens cap already. Replacement ordered.)
P Know your Phantom procedures well.
P Is the Phantom in Phantom or Naza mode?
F Stop video BEFORE turning Phantom off.
S Handled gusty winds well, but height maint' less stable in windy conditions.
F Practice smooth turning while moving.
F Something to learn: Following in FPV.
P Stick to procedures, especially when others accompany you.
P Ground Station only works with GPS found.
P Don't panic.
F Have a plan and remember it.
F Have a partner help you with prompts or filming.
S 300 ft max
P Ensure home point and compass each flight.
F Even if preview stalls, the camera is still filming.
P Ground Station doesn't auto land
S Don't chase birds

Your turn ;)

Interesting list. Your hitting the wire was your punishment for going after the bird. Some have knocked multirotor quads out of the sky.
I have experienced the one about video on and off. Lost a nice skim of the beach(no people)this last year.
You are going to find many more for your list as time goes by.
Enjoy your Summer. I'm freezing my --- off here.
Fly safe.

How about do not mess with any animals !

750r said:
How about do not mess with any animals !
If it has a beak like your avatar, YES!
Seriously , you are 100% correct on that statement.

Happyflyer said:
Fly safe.
Me too but it will be 71 here tomorrow :D I know some smart __ __ __ will comment from FLA.

Larry L said:
Happyflyer said:
Fly safe.
Me too but it will be 71 here tomorrow :D I know some smart __ __ __ will comment from FLA.
71 :shock: I won't see temps like that until May, if I'm lucky.
Ya about FLA. But they have ALLEY-GATORS that eat their downed quads in one bite! :shock:

Great post Narrator. ;)

I've got a "DO" or two or three for you. I've found these "Do's" work well in the very small communities here in Wyoming.
Do talk to rural airport managers before flying nearby.
Do talk to park rangers before flying within or near park boundaries.
Do talk to small town law enforcement prior to flying down Main Street.

My experience with airport managers is that they appreciate your professionalism (an assumption on my part) and you may even be able to fly in designated areas within airport boundaries. Thermopolis WY, USA, is a RC friendly airport. The airport manager there provides the local RC pilots with a radio to monitor traffic in the area while they fly their RC's at the airport.

I also received permission from the State Park Ranger to do some filming at the "Worlds Largest Natural Hot Springs". The flow of hot water is controlled by the park and at this time of year the outdoor pools are iced over. Just thought I would throw that in so you don't make a long trip to see frozen water. There are indoor pools which are open year round and definitely worth visiting.
http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.aspx?siteID=9
http://thermopolis.com/attractions/hot- ... tate-park/

I'm also happy to say, I have not heard "NO" from any law enforcement agency. Law enforcement really appreciates a "heads-up" before folks start calling about a UFO flying over their house.

I have met some very interesting and friendly people by having these "Do's" on my list.

Thats great :D
No reason to be that close they could have had good footage 40-50' up . It would have been even better if he went to retrieve his bird and the kangaroo still be their give him a couple jabs too :lol:

750r said:
Thats great :D
No reason to be that close they could have had good footage 40-50' up . It would have been even better if he went to retrieve his bird and the kangaroo still be their give him a couple jabs too :lol:
lol... reminds me of a movie I saw.

Happyflyer said:
Larry L said:
Happyflyer said:
Fly safe.
71 :shock: I won't see temps like that until May, if I'm lucky.
Ya about FLA. But they have ALLEY-GATORS that eat their downed quads in one bite! :shock:

Lol!

Unless you have a chicken tied to your quad... Alley-gators wouldn't be too interested!

Ah well... Getting my FPV for Christmas... Will be 67 degrees an 10 percent chance of rain... I LOVE Florida :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31