Dont buy this ****! DJI

Wow Justin00, you are quick!

oops! Just read your post further back on the thread...knew I saw that info somewhere!

lol yeah sorry I type very fast :p and edit fast to :]

*edit* Theres like 100 threads on this.. but obviously new people aren;t going to see them... and they will recieve older stock with the bad ESC... and end up in the same situation..

DJI needs to recall everything, but thats not going to happen or is really possible.

Justin00, can you refresh my memory as to the implication of the color marking on the caps? Since my +v3 is less than two weeks old, do I void warranty if I open the top to check the inside?
You can shine a light into the vent and see the cap inside the vent on the opposite arm. Yellow = OK

Yes you need to change ESC... the blue markings are version 2.0 or older
You want the new ESC that has yellow marking.. they are version 2.1 (or 4.06 if you want to be technical :/ )

The ESC blows up.. it happens to V3 owners or people who upgraded to new 2312 motors (which the v3 have included)... DJI said to use ESC 2.0 for the upgrade and they were wrong.It even included a little note with the motors to say to use 2.0... But yeah it was not correct.. thats the upgrade minefield Frank is refering to... The hole situation is pretty sad... Anyways DJI quickly released ESC 2.1 as the fix... they were not very vocal about the situation or the fix....

Justin00, gfo315 said he has the motor with the 3 thick wires, which would indicate he has the original non-upgraded motors (upgraded have 3 thin wires) -- hence his ESC v2.0 should be fine with the motors he has. Am I wrong??

Last edited:
yeah that makes sense what you said.
Sorry I didn't read properly.... I just assume everyone has a v3 these days!! :(

Now I am really nervous - I have just checked my Vision 2+ V3 copter (purchased in Dec 2014) and it appears that all of my capacitors are blue. Previously after reading a similar thread I wrote to DJI support and advised them of what had been written - there response was that this was 3rd party information and that IF I wanted I could send the copter to them and they would check it out - not really viable as I live in Canada. I have written them back and pointed them to this thread and asked that either they send me new ESC boards or if they choose not to then I have asked them to stand behind their product should this copter crash due to this problem. I will let the forum know their answer.

Reactions: Noodles
Now I am really nervous - I have just checked my Vision 2+ V3 copter (purchased in Dec 2014) and it appears that all of my capacitors are blue. Previously after reading a similar thread I wrote to DJI support and advised them of what had been written - there response was that this was 3rd party information and that IF I wanted I could send the copter to them and they would check it out - not really viable as I live in Canada. I have written them back and pointed them to this thread and asked that either they send me new ESC boards or if they choose not to then I have asked them to stand behind their product should this copter crash due to this problem. I will let the forum know their answer.

I'm pretty sure you can ship from Canada to California, eh. :D

Mine, purchased about the same time, had blue ones. They paid for it to be shipped to them and back to me. Replaced the ESC's under warranty, took about 3 weeks door to door.

I'd suggest you call the CA number and speak to someone. Emailing them is worthless in my experience but talking to them worked out very well.

I am aeromodeller for many years. I bought my Phantom Vision + on Amazon. When we arrived, made several flights and it was working properly.

The problem happened about 15 days after purchase:

I did some pictures and was recording the video When suddenly the propellers of the Phantom stopped spinning and he fell on the beach! The feeling I had is the if the battery had Been disconnected! I managed to get it back, but he sank into the salt water. The battery, camera and gimbal Also are broken.

ABOVE, THE SCREEN OF MY PHONE AT THE MOMENT OF THE FALL - THE OTHERS PICTURES I MAKE BEFORE THE PHANTOM FALL. THE SD CARD DONT DAMAGED!
View attachment 16789 View attachment 16790 View attachment 16791 View attachment 16792 View attachment 16793 View attachment 16794 View attachment 16795
I made the complaint with the DJI and they told me that they would "share my injury" with me and give me 30% discount on the purchase of new Vision +! This is absurd!

I chose the DJI by the "reliability" of the products ... I have many witnesses to what happened ... I answered a questionnaire GIANT they sent me, but after selling them is horrible!

DJI abandoned me!

I found other battery cases rebooting during the flight ...

Dude

With any big company comes issues . Can you imagine buing a coca cola machine over net then try and tackle coke if the machine was fualty ? Had my inspire one week and crashed it ! DJI REPLACED it within a month ( i waited a month because it was Chinese new year )

With inivation comes head aches ! Love the DJI tech . Great after sales service . Just ordered 2 extra Phantom 2 's for my bussiness ! Have 2 vision + that crashed ! **** happens !

I confirm, DJI products sometimes fall with no reason. I have one Phantom 2 and it fall every 5-7 flights, till I replaced all 4 motors, ESC, and DJI Naza. Still no reply from DJI support.

The only way to stop this, is share this topic with many potential buyers. It seems adequate to make some kind of internet -mem or demotivator picture, to make people aware of money loss.

Good graphical design and demotivative slogan is what we need, Sirs.

Hi Guys,

Ok... help please... I have a PH 2 V+ V3.0.

I'm a little confused whit what I should look for, if I have the upgraded ESC's? How can I confirm what I have or should have?

Thxs Chris

I contacted DJI support and they told me that my problem requires that I return the copter to California for evaluation/repair. Spoke to the guy in CA and he clearly understood the problem and my concern and issued my an RMA to return it. It's unfortunate that I will have to pay the shipping down to CA to fix a problem they engineered into the copter but so be it - rather do that then lose the copter and then have them tell me they are not responsible. Going to take 5-6 weeks to repair it though! Clearly DJI is quite aware of this problem so take note if you have the blue capacitors on the ESC board and the new motors you should send it back for repair!

I contacted DJI support and they told me that my problem requires that I return the copter to California for evaluation/repair. Spoke to the guy in CA and he clearly understood the problem and my concern and issued my an RMA to return it. It's unfortunate that I will have to pay the shipping down to CA to fix a problem they engineered into the copter but so be it - rather do that then lose the copter and then have them tell me they are not responsible. Going to take 5-6 weeks to repair it though! Clearly DJI is quite aware of this problem so take note if you have the blue capacitors on the ESC board and the new motors you should send it back for repair!
Just got my p2 v2 back. Took the full six weeks. Flashed the ESC to 4.06 firmware and changed the blue on capacitor to yellow.

Also laid down the weakest line of silicone over the wires right before the solder joint to the esc. Apparently it is "GE silicon gel" according the the tech I was emailing. I'm going to get some non-corrosive silicone and finish the job.

Hopefully the turnaround for you is shorter. Try requesting a return label; there are those here that have received prepaid shipping.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got my p2 v2 back. Took the full six weeks. Flashed the ESC to 4.06 firmware and changed the blue on capacitor to yellow.

Also laid down the weakest line of silicone over the wires right before the solder joint to the esc. Apparently it is "GE silicon gel" according the the tech I was emailing. I'm going to get some non-corrosive silicone and finish the job.

Hopefully the turnaround for you is shorter. Try requesting a return label; there are those here that have received prepaid shipping.

Scorp

Thanks for the update - I tried to get them to pay for the return but the tech told me he can't print out prepaid labels to countries other than the US. Hate to lose the copter just when we get some good flying weather but don't have much choice!

Its very possible the version you were givwn had ESC with a known problem that can cause them to overheat, melt wires, short out and fall from the sky. If you can take the top shell off or look under 1 of the arms you can easilly identify if you have the ESC with known fault.

The capacitors on each of the 4 ESC have a blue or black marking on them which sugnifies they are firmware 4.x

If the capqcitor has a yellow marking it means it has firmware 4.06 and is the good ESC.

MANY people had there brabd new quads fall from sky after a short amount of flights due to this issue.

I am on my phone now but hopefully someone else can post up a pic of the black,blue or yellow marking on the capacitor on the ESC....so you can idemtify which you had.

If ypu had one with known issue (blue/blue) I would demand free replacement. Heaps of threads about this already..

in saying all that, maybe its something else....but my money is on the ESC issue :(

Great. However the new ESC needed for the new Motors have a different marking on the capacitor and that is "blue stripe on top with a red stripe crossing over the blue". So not sure which firmware these are.

???? Nucadude - Yellow stripe is what my V3 is labeled with for 2.1 ESC's which is what Reoscorpio stated... NOT blue!

Great. However the new ESC needed for the new Motors have a different marking on the capacitor and that is "blue stripe on top with a red stripe crossing over the blue". So not sure which firmware these are.

Great. Now we are going to have to figure out what firmware that related to ;(

What happened to me was like this video ... the battery disconnected in flight ... only this, the guy was wearing a GoPro, then the camera remained recording during the fall ...

The battery reboot.

The battery didn't fail as the lights are visible in the video after the malfunction. It looks like it tried to 'right' itself once or twice on the way down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav