Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Dog Fighting Phantoms.

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by ResevorDG, Feb 28, 2014.

1. ResevorDG

To all you RC people out there, I am just an RC novice. I got my Phantom because I like cameras.
    Now I am addicted to the flying part of it all. (Really this is fun)

I have an idea that I want to play laser tag with other phantoms and other RC helicopters, my buddy has a Blade SR.

Is there any system out there that I can strap on to my Phantom to shoot lasers and record hits when I get shot?
    I don't want it to fall out of the sky or anything like that just keep track of hits, perhaps flash a strobe when hit etc.

I have done some looking with google and not found what I want to find.
    I know there are some people on this forum that really know RC toys.
    Thanks for the info.

2. OI Photography

The next stage in the integration of drones in to society: social games. Brilliant.

You might have just invented Drone Tag (better TM that now)...and if you figure out how to get it working, sign me up!

3. ResevorDG

Well then, if there is not one for sale, I know an out of work electrical engineer with a passion for lasers. I am going to give him a call.

What do you all think for a weight limit, 100, 200 grams? Obviously less is more in this case.

4. OI Photography

Anything above 100-150 may be prohibitive when you'll probably want to be as nimble as possible.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel though, I'd start with an existing laser tag format/system and adapt it to this...or at least use that as a starting point. Using existing emitters and sensors will save a ton of R&D time/cost. Cheap ones can be found at toys r us even.

5. Meluk

There is/was a park flyer rtf plane from horizon I think which had a 'laser' dog fight system that u could add to the planes. Used some sort of radar system I think but it looked kinda cool as it disabled the other planes motors for a few seconds once hit. Obviously same action shouldn't be used with our quads :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. gfredrone

They already have it on the micro heli's. Might want to looks how they are set up.

7. LeoS

Came here to see dogs, found lasertag instead. Not disappointed :)

8. SRT

SRT

How about mounting a 3 foot carbon fiber rod to the bottom of the Phantom and then have air jousting dog fights.... Now this becomes a "sport" not just a "hobby" as some say that this is all it is.

Queue Thunderdome... as they start chanting.... Two Phantoms enters...One Phantom leaves.....

9. gadgetman299

Back in my Plane days, we tape a 6 foot piece of party streamer on the rudder. If you pulled it off with you plane he was shot down. Then we added bomb doors to the planes and started to drop eggs on each other for distration. I think some kind of laser tag would go over big.

10. GneeChee

It seems a month or two back I read about a group of Phantom owners that did this with their quads.

You fly until your battery is dead, or your streamer was gone, and then the longest streamer remaining was the winner.

Now, the dropping eggs part ... that wasn't mentioned :)

11. gadgetman299

If you really want to make it hard. Limit flying to camera view only.

12. Luap

13. MonsieurAnon

IMO this would be most fun in a laser tag battle with other players.

Perhaps scenario based. 1 phantom controlled by a 'boss' + 3 human players vs. 4 players whose mission is to tag the 'boss' before his battery runs out.

Of course, a smart phantom pilot will be able to simultaneously use the camera view to determine how to get away, while also being able to fight back.

14. Big Ben

The GPS antenna is situated below where that thing sits now. You may experience GPS reception problems.

15. Phantomhoofy

I loved this tread, and thought of all the fun u could have until bomb doors dropping eggs and air guns with real projectiles was mentioned, then i got scared... This is a very slippery slope to enter, and a sure way to get our little copters stigmatized into something evil. Am i wrong??