Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. Suhail78

So Full Disclosure here....I got my first drone about 8 days ago, been loving the heck out of it, and i'm getting pretty comfortable with the controls, but i had a pretty close call the first day i took her up to fly.....check out the video......I'd love to hear your reactions.

#1 Suhail78, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Mike_Flys likes this.
  2. Lucky 777

I'll take being lucky over being good any day!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

WilsonFlyer and Suhail78 like this.
  3. ROD PAINTER

Why didnt collision avoidance system take over?

4. KevMo Photog

So glad you got lucky here man. Collision didn't help because he was turning hard and actually hit tree with the side of the P4. Also, were you flying in sport mode? Object avoidance does not function at all in Sport mode.

Suhail78 likes this.
  5. Lucky 777

No disrespect intended by my comment dude. Guess I'm the sort who always finds the humor in a situation. They say any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Suhail78 likes this.
  6. Suhail78

Thanks man, it was a heart pounding moment that's for sure, nope not in sports mode, it was P mode, and i know i wasn't head on when i clipped the branch, so i didn't expect collision avoidance to prevent contact, that was all me.....i was about 150 yards away, it was my first day flying a drone period, and i was looking at the bird, and i got disoriented and could not tell how close it was to the tree wall, shoulda kept an eye on the screen and i would have realized i was closer than it looked like from where i was standing.....it clipped the branch, tumbled a bit and leveled off into a hover b/c i let go of the sticks when i saw it take a dive..i literally thought it was going down, i was kinda stunned it didn't, lol...the good thing that came of that is now i'm extra aware of my surroundings when flying her around a new place. Lesson Learned early!

KevMo Photog likes this.
  7. Suhail78

None taken buddy, i'll take luck any day too!

8. flyboy73

Quick, rush out and buy a lottery ticket. You are a lucky man. Remember, trees are not your friends.

Suhail78 likes this.
  9. KevMo Photog

Since you were in P mode if you had actually remained straight into those dense branches I'm almost positive it would have stopped 5-6 ft short of them. You'll get used to trusting your monitor more every time you fly. It takes a while to trust FPV. LOL.

Suhail78 likes this.
  10. Suhail78

Trust me, learned that lesson!

11. Suhail78

Yeah, I realize that now, rookie mistake!! Definitely more used to using the monitor and flying FPV, especially when i'm a little bit out and up over 100'

12. Suhail78

The only thing that happened to my drone from the impact was a little white plastic cover on the landing gear popped off, didn't even notice it was gone til later that night! Luckily, i went back after work the next day, and walked over to the tree and found it laying on the ground, picked it up, popped it back in, and went flying.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots