Doesn't get much closer than this......yikes!

Reaction score
So Full Disclosure here....I got my first drone about 8 days ago, been loving the heck out of it, and i'm getting pretty comfortable with the controls, but i had a pretty close call the first day i took her up to fly.....check out the video......I'd love to hear your reactions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_Flys
So glad you got lucky here man. Collision didn't help because he was turning hard and actually hit tree with the side of the P4. Also, were you flying in sport mode? Object avoidance does not function at all in Sport mode.

Reactions: Suhail78
No disrespect intended by my comment dude. Guess I'm the sort who always finds the humor in a situation. They say any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

So glad you got lucky here man. Collision didn't help because he was turning hard and actually hit tree with the side of the P4. Also, were you flying in sport mode? Object avoidance does not function at all in Sport mode.

Thanks man, it was a heart pounding moment that's for sure, nope not in sports mode, it was P mode, and i know i wasn't head on when i clipped the branch, so i didn't expect collision avoidance to prevent contact, that was all me.....i was about 150 yards away, it was my first day flying a drone period, and i was looking at the bird, and i got disoriented and could not tell how close it was to the tree wall, shoulda kept an eye on the screen and i would have realized i was closer than it looked like from where i was standing.....it clipped the branch, tumbled a bit and leveled off into a hover b/c i let go of the sticks when i saw it take a dive..i literally thought it was going down, i was kinda stunned it didn't, lol...the good thing that came of that is now i'm extra aware of my surroundings when flying her around a new place. Lesson Learned early!

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Thanks man, it was a heart pounding moment that's for sure, nope not in sports mode, it was P mode, and i know i wasn't head on when i clipped the branch, so i didn't expect collision avoidance to prevent contact, that was all me.....i was about 150 yards away, it was my first day flying a drone period, and i was looking at the bird, and i got disoriented and could not tell how close it was to the tree wall, shoulda kept an eye on the screen and i would have realized i was closer than it looked like from where i was standing.....it clipped the branch, tumbled a bit and leveled off into a hover b/c i let go of the sticks when i saw it take a dive..i literally thought it was going down, i was kinda stunned it didn't, lol...the good thing that came of that is now i'm extra aware of my surroundings when flying her around a new place. Lesson Learned early!
Since you were in P mode if you had actually remained straight into those dense branches I'm almost positive it would have stopped 5-6 ft short of them. You'll get used to trusting your monitor more every time you fly. It takes a while to trust FPV. LOL.

Since you were in P mode if you had actually remained straight into those dense branches I'm almost positive it would have stopped 5-6 ft short of them. You'll get used to trusting your monitor more every time you fly. It takes a while to trust FPV. LOL.

Yeah, I realize that now, rookie mistake!! Definitely more used to using the monitor and flying FPV, especially when i'm a little bit out and up over 100'

The only thing that happened to my drone from the impact was a little white plastic cover on the landing gear popped off, didn't even notice it was gone til later that night! Luckily, i went back after work the next day, and walked over to the tree and found it laying on the ground, picked it up, popped it back in, and went flying.

a53327198845f8ec3f4aaf3a87b32ac7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik