Does the remote controller need to be drained before taking on airplane?

Reaction score
Hello all, so I'm flying to Colorado tomorrow and know that I need to drain my batteries to about 20% and take my equipment as carry on. But I do not know if this applies to the controller as well. I would assume so but could not find any topics regarding this. It is a lipo as well.

Thanks for the help

Where did you hear about draining the batteries to 20% - curious. Not necessarily a bad idea, but I had no idea you needed to do that and no idea how you can enforce it (teach every TSA agent what every LiPO battery on the planet looks like and how to test charge???)

I don't think so. But I've been wrong before.

What Wetdog said, I've seen some people mention that they were told this (I think on International flights) but I've never seen it in writing. Also, I've taken my drone through TSA a lot of times in the US and no one has ever batted an eye. I've had it pulled and swabbed a couple of times but that is all. The airlines themselves is not going to know what you have in the bag as only TSA checks carry on items. The airlines has their rules about lipos that you need to follows (need to be carry on and you are only allowed so many) but they don't check.

But I agree, it would be best to drain them down to 50% or so. I never have.

It's just another idea from the forums.
While it theoretically might be a good idea (if you wanted to reduce the energy stored in your battery), the FAA, TSA and all the airline travel safety websites make no mention.
They don't mention carrying in LIPO bags either.

Ok thanks guys. I have read a few forums/posts stating that it is advised that the batteries be drained to about 20%. I don't think it is legit in writing but just want to be on the safe side anyways. I have read some posts that state the tsa checkers just look at the batteries and of course they don't know how to check them. I just don't want to be told that I can't bring my bird. I appreciate all your help. I have 4 batteries and all are 25% or below currently. The only thing fully charged is the controller which I can't seem to discharge. It seems the controller lasts forever. Lol. I will not worry about it then. And if they some how do know or ask about the lipos, I will show them the percentage based on the green lights [emoji3]

I'll just say this. One time I was flying from Maryland to Florida and an acquaintance wanted some kind of chip from here that had crab seasoning on them. They were only sold in Maryland. Okay, I guess I can do that, so I bought a bag and carried the bag onto the plane. I put it on the floor near my feet. We fly.

POP!

The bag burst during the flight.

Just sayin'

And if they some how do know or ask about the lipos, I will show them the percentage based on the green lights
The TSA don't know or care about what level is in your battery.
Lipo batteries are traveling every day, not just for drones but everyone's mobile phone, laptop computer, camera etc etc.
And the TSA couldn't care less what the charge level is in anyone's mobile phone, laptop computer, camera etc etc.
It's the same with your drone batteries.

Reactions: snowghost
Lipo batteries are traveling every day, not just for drones but everyone's mobile phone, laptop computer, camera etc etc.
And the TSA couldn't care less what the charge level is in anyone's mobile phone, laptop computer, camera etc etc.

Correct. They didn't open up the back pack case not once. On the way back, 2 batteries were full as I didn't have time to drain them and everything was fine. [emoji3]

I always fly with mine 100% charged on the plane, ready to fly after I land. TSA has never batted an eye, they probably see hundreds of Phantoms a day go through security Xray. While on travel for my work, I will often be driving along and see something I'd like to fly over, so I stop and take a 15min break to fly. Others take their cigarette break, I take a healthier "flight-break", it definitely gets my heart pumping. I can be ready to fly in 4 minutes. I always take my car charger too, it's handy sometimes when on travel.

Anyone found the perfect fitting Lipo bag for the p3p battery yet and if so where was it purchased?
Thanks

Hello all, so I'm flying to Colorado tomorrow and know that I need to drain my batteries to about 20% and take my equipment as carry on. But I do not know if this applies to the controller as well. I would assume so but could not find any topics regarding this. It is a lipo as well.

Thanks for the help
Do you discharge your mobile phones before boarding the plane ?

Last edited:
Almost all laptops, cellphones, etc are using Li-ion batteries, not LiPo. Li-ion are not as sensative to pressure and temperature like LiPos. It is highly recommended to discharge LiPo batteries before flying due to the decrease in pressure in the cabin.

As for the original question. I believe the RC uses Li-ion so no need to discharge.

Just buy a lipo fire proof battery bag and you'll be good to go. I flew Southwest Airlines to Denver from Texas with my Drone and had no problems.

Like everyone has said, no need to do anything with batteries carry-on on in checked luggage.

I flew international last week and Japan was the only place that checked my batteries, and that was only to see the rated voltage.

That is not true.

Spare batteries cannot be in checked luggage.
The TSA Blog: Travel Tips Tuesday: Safely Packing Batteries for Your Trip

This is from a Blog. Got to go what TSA says. Certain batteries can not be on commercial aircraft with passengers aboard period. This is not the case with the Lipo Batts. There only reason the Lipo or any spare batteries can not be in checked luggage is the further screening the receive prior to loading. It will slow things down or cause you to get you bag later on another flight. Flying with your drone, carry it onboard with all your batteries.

This is from a Blog. Got to go what TSA says. Certain batteries can not be on commercial aircraft with passengers aboard period. This is not the case with the Lipo Batts. There only reason the Lipo or any spare batteries can not be in checked luggage is the further screening the receive prior to loading. It will slow things down or cause you to get you bag later on another flight. Flying with your drone, carry it onboard with all your batteries.
It is the TSA blog and is clarifying their position, no LiPo batteries in checked baggage. It has nothing to doing to with additional screening time. There have been several instances recently of Lithium batteries catching fire in the reduced air pressure of an airplane. They want to make sure they are not in the cargo hold but instead in the cabin so the fire can be detected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20