Does the Phantom 3 know when you've gone too far?

Reaction score
I'm still new to the Phantom 3 and I'm already considering an upgrade to the Phantom 3 Advanced from the Standard to get the extra range. Whether it is the Advanced or the Standard I'm curious about the logic built in to these drones.

I've seen many of the distance tests, but most seem to go for it on a full charge, which certainly makes sense. However, I'm wondering whether there is some logic built in to the drones to force a return when needed. Say for example, I'm using a P3A and I've got 80% battery left when I start moving directly away from the home point. At 50% battery none of my warnings will be triggered, but to make the flight home it should probably turn back if there was no wind because it took 30% of the battery to get there and using another 30% to get home only leaves me with 20% by the time it lands.

Is this kind of logic built in to the Phantom 3 or is it something you have to keep track of manually?

just like the standard you can set battery warning for when it gets low advance same as standard but better distance with Lightbridge also better rc

If you look up at the top of your screen on your device while flying you should notice a red yellow and green line. I believe this line will indicate how much battery is required to return to home as the distance changes. Its calculations will change based on your settings. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

no if your out 5000 feet and wait till battery hits low battery if you have it set at 30 well you might not make it back when flying watch how long it took you to get that far and add some to come home to be safe

As far as i know, on the app you can pre-determine when than battery will set off an alarm. Say 30% it will give low battery warning or 20% it will give you critical warning. If you keep pushing after critical battery warning (which i suggest you do not do) the drone will try to go back home on its own. The parameters for low battery warning and critical battery warning can be set on the app and you never have to do manual tracking. But then, all these you have to determine on you own. The drone will not know the wind condition on the way back. So if it is windy, you might want to set your critical warning pretty conservative so the drone can have some power on the way back. If it runs out, it will land on its own but it may be a mile away from you or land on water.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

that is it the top with the battery doesn't determine how far and how much battery is needed to get back that is on you watching controls

Smart RTH (if its turned on) will kick in when the bird is at a great enough distance that the remaining battery level is getting too low for a return trip.
It gives you a 7 second count down that you can cancel before it heads for home.

Smart RTH does NOT factor in wind. If you ride a strong wind out and wait for Smart RTH to bring it back, you won't make it.

If you look up at the top of your screen on your device while flying you should notice a red yellow and green line. I believe this line will indicate how much battery is required to return to home as the distance changes. Its calculations will change based on your settings. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Between the green and the yellow sections of the line, you can see a yellow circle with an H in it. That indicates how much battery you need to get home...when the green line shrinks right down to the H you should be heading for home! Obviously if you're coming back against the wind, you need to allow some extra.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl