Does the P3A have to cool after a 20 min run?

I fly back to back 4 batteries but at the end I let the P3 cool down with the battery out before putting it back into my Pelican case, batteries too. The Pelican cases are sealed airtight. Probably not the best idea to trap all that heat in there.

Reactions: bobmyers
A few times, I've flown continuously for a few hours each in hot, Florida, weather. The batteries will require time to cool down before they will charge, but I haven't noticed the P3P getting overheated. The motors get warm, but not hot. My Samsung Tab S tablet doesn't seem to have a problem with the heat. Since I did the "disable Google Play" trick, it's worked fine.

The requirement for the batteries to cool means I needed one more than I would have otherwise to keep the P3P in the air almost continuously. While using one to fly, I have two charging and one sitting in an electric cooler to cool. The cooler is one of those thermoelectric ones. It can only cool down the inside about 15 or 20 degrees F less than the ambient temperature. So, it's not like throwing the battery into a freezer.

-- Roger
So, you're saying it's bad to throw them in the freezer for 5 minutes to cool them down?

A few times, I've flown continuously for a few hours each in hot, Florida, weather. The batteries will require time to cool down before they will charge, but I haven't noticed the P3P getting overheated. The motors get warm, but not hot. My Samsung Tab S tablet doesn't seem to have a problem with the heat. Since I did the "disable Google Play" trick, it's worked fine.

The requirement for the batteries to cool means I needed one more than I would have otherwise to keep the P3P in the air almost continuously. While using one to fly, I have two charging and one sitting in an electric cooler to cool. The cooler is one of those thermoelectric ones. It can only cool down the inside about 15 or 20 degrees F less than the ambient temperature. So, it's not like throwing the battery into a freezer.

-- Roger[/QUOT
So, you're saying it's bad to throw them in the freezer for 5 minutes to cool them down?
Better off putting them in from of a fan or the ac in the vehicle-- they cool down in the vehicle in about 10 minutes with the AC or faster if you can get a vent blowing on them.

I run 5 batteries per session and generally just use common since... check the motors after each battery if hot give it a few minutes if just warm pop in the next one and have fun. One thing of note hot days(for me 85+) I give it a few min between flights as I've noticed batteries and phone(note 4) get pretty warm within 2 batteries. Flew all 5 last night at about 74 degrees and phantom didn't blink at it.

As for the batteries Def let them cool off for a few minutes(cool to touch) before putting back in a case or anything. Def wouldn't think the freezer is a good idea. That's my .02 cents

Reactions: td619

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj