Does the P2 power the GoPro?

Reaction score
My setup: P2, Zenmuse H3-3D, GoPro Hero 3+ Black.

Does the P2 actually supply power to the GoPro through the USB port, or is it just taking a video feed from it? Ie, do I need to worry about charging the GoPro's battery?

Thanks!

EdmontonPhotog said:
It's probably best to start with a fully charged battery in the GoPro so you aren't using the P2's battery to recharge more than it has to.

+1

It should also run cooler if you do this. Charging the battery can make the GoPro and Zenmuse plate quite warm.

Wish there was an option to turn that off. I think they should of thought that out.

ElGuano said:
It should also run cooler if you do this. Charging the battery can make the GoPro and Zenmuse plate quite warm.

I should add that I do always fully charge the GoPro's battery before I go out flying. Just wondering if I needed to worry about carrying spare batteries for it if I'm out for the day. By the sound of it, the answer is "no".

I would say no you don't need to bring spare GoPro batteries, but it just means that your P2 will have less flying time as it will be charging the GoPro essentially from the moment the P2 and GoPro are turned on since the GoPro is discharging and the P2 will continue to charge it while it is plugged in.

tferrari said:
but it just means that your P2 will have less flying time

True, but the difference is marginal at best. Fly a few times with it charging and then a few without and you'll see what I mean...you'll probably experience more variation in your flight times due to day to day (or even hour to hour) changes in atmospheric conditions than from the juice the gopro steals, even if the camera's battery is very low.

Thanks, OI. I thought that would be the case - the power used by the GoPro must be negligible compared to that used by the motors - but it's good to have it confirmed.

HarryT said:
Thanks, OI. I thought that would be the case - the power used by the GoPro must be negligible compared to that used by the motors - but it's good to have it confirmed.

+1

Glad to help! And that's absolutely correct...even all the electronics on a Phantom combined will only draw a fraction of the current he motors suck down when flying.

OI Photography said:
tferrari said:
but it just means that your P2 will have less flying time

True, but the difference is marginal at best. Fly a few times with it charging and then a few without and you'll see what I mean...you'll probably experience more variation in your flight times due to day to day (or even hour to hour) changes in atmospheric conditions than from the juice the gopro steals, even if the camera's battery is very low.

I fully agree. I've been wondering if a battery needed to even be in the GoPro. Less weight for the Phantom to lift.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.