Does temperature affect video transmission or GPS?

Reaction score
1st, in Houston, Texas here it has been about 100° with a heat index around 107-110. Does temperature like that effect video transmission or GPS or both? Took the drone out 4 times in the last week, video transmission is choppy and takes quite a while to catch up. I had a couple of issues with magnetic interference & TBE, a few weeks ago but learn to watch IMU from you guys and thought that was the problem. Now the last 4 or 5 flights, can't seem to get more than a few hundred feet away before having video transmission issues.

Just curious if anyone else experience that in this heat?

Speaking from personal experience, those types of ambient temperatures are likely to effect tablets such as the iPad Mini 2/3.

Excessive heat build up manifests itself with symptoms such as video stuttering up and video signal loss.

This is localized at the tablet / device level. There is no effect with the aircraft GPS system of video down-link transmitter.

:harry

1st, in Houston, Texas here it has been about 100° with a heat index around 107-110. Does temperature like that effect video transmission or GPS or both? Took the drone out 4 times in the last week, video transmission is choppy and takes quite a while to catch up. I had a couple of issues with magnetic interference & TBE, a few weeks ago but learn to watch IMU from you guys and thought that was the problem. Now the last 4 or 5 flights, can't seem to get more than a few hundred feet away before having video transmission issues.

Just curious if anyone else experience that in this heat?
If you are flying on IOS IPAD it may very well affect it-- I was having the same issues in the heat and the IPAD got very hot-- started standing in the shade or sitting in the AC truck and flying and those issues went away completely . When the IPADS get hot, the signal starts flickering and will drop out for 5 to 10 seconds and then come back.

I live in Phoenix. I routinely fly in 100F+ with no problems of GPS or video. The batteries get baking hot which is a concern but it flies fine.
What type of tablet or phone are you using?

I normally use an Acer Iconia tab 8.
Yea, it probably doe not have the processor heating issues of the IPAD Air 3-- they are great if you keep them cool-- but stand in the sun about 5 minutes and they will start dropping video even close in.

Reactions: S5S5G6
I've had my Phantom 3(had Phantom 2 before) since May & and use an iPad 3 mini, so that may be the issue. We were standing in the shade today, still hotter than hell, had been flying for probably 10 or 12 minutes when the stuttering started. We were at a local high school down the road, I tried a few days ago and could barely get it more than 50 feet away with the stuttering issue. I am in Richmond, Texas on the west side of Houston, no problem before the last couple of weeks at all. Was even wondering if it had something to do with the meteor showers. Is it just the iPad or other tablets experienced the same problem? Going to have to check, is there way to tell temperature of an iPad? I've been storing drone & remote & iPad in a case while traveling but that's in air-conditioning.

And 2nd question, I always kind of thought I would get interference by sitting in a vehicle? Be awesome to stay in AC and still fly, no problems?

I've had my Phantom 3(had Phantom 2 before) since May & and use an iPad 3 mini, so that may be the issue. We were standing in the shade today, still hotter than hell, had been flying for probably 10 or 12 minutes when the stuttering started. We were at a local high school down the road, I tried a few days ago and could barely get it more than 50 feet away with the stuttering issue. I am in Richmond, Texas on the west side of Houston, no problem before the last couple of weeks at all. Was even wondering if it had something to do with the meteor showers. Is it just the iPad or other tablets experienced the same problem? Going to have to check, is there way to tell temperature of an iPad? I've been storing drone & remote & iPad in a case while traveling but that's in air-conditioning.
I keep mine out of the case in the AC-- but even at that in the direct sun you might have five minutes--- in a good shade-- it is ok-- flying it from inside the vehicle-- no issues.

Reactions: Carl R
That's probably it Carl. You'll find many threads on the topic of overheating devices. Several threads per week I'd guess.

Reactions: JoBe and Carl R
I fly from the luxury of my vehicle quite a bit with the AC blasting and land it on the hood and leave.

I fly from the luxury of my vehicle quite a bit with the AC blasting and land it on the hood and leave.
Me too, but don't land on my hood-- that's metal and not a good landing spot.:D

I am using an ipad mini 2 with AT&T cell service which I switch to airplane mode after I acquire my map. Last week I installed the hdmi board for director/client use to send the signal to a Sound Devices Pix 240. It is hot as blazes here in Florida right now and before I got through my first battery my video feed was dropping out like crazy. I switched out to my iphone 6 which worked for a while but by the 4th battery it too got pretty bad. I flew 5 batteries that day and the hdmi feed to the pix never dropped once which I found pretty amazing but I am now wondering if lowering the bit rate in the video menu would improve my tablet performance? I am on the current firmware and DJI Go and turning hardware decode on and off on different flights didn't seem to have much effect.

I'm up in Tomball, and I can attest to video loss with my iPad mini 2 after about 30-45 mins of flying (I have multiple batteries).

I was out flying in Cypress yesterday and noticed loss of video for about 5 secs on multiple occasions.

The local temperature was about 95F and about 75-80% humidity.

Reactions: Carl R

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers