Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Does prop protectors cause stress cracks

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Neon Euc, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Neon Euc

So I just ordered some prop protectors in case I have a dodgy landing and thought it would be handy to save the blades being broken but then a thought came into my head.... With the size of the prop protectors I am sure in mid flight it will slightly bend due to the size and the wind pushing down on it as you go forward. So maybe I thought it may put pressure on the arms where the motor is and cause stress cracks. Any feedback would be great fully appreciated. Also... I ordered a decal that covers the whole phantom.... Would that prevent the stress cracks as it kinda bonds to whole shell together if you know what I mean ?

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

The thing that prevents cracking 100% is not being from a crack-prone batch.
    Most Phantoms never crack at all.

Neon Euc likes this.
  3. Neon Euc

Brilliant. Thank you for the reassurance as I feel a lot better now :)

4. atki

I always felt like the prop protectors would increase the motor housing resistance to cracking but I didn't really like them for a few minor reasons and removed them. I had minor cracking after 5 months of purchase on my p3a but didn't send it in till about a month out from the end of the 1 year warranty as I didn't get around to flying much in the last 6 months. The cool thing was the p3a no longer had to be sent back to China as DJI had got their act together and repaired it in Sydney Aust, not only did they pay for all shipping and replace the shell but they replaced the motors with the updated style. If you still have warranty left fly it until you're a month out from warranty and if you have cracking raise DJI via email and send it in for repair. Much better than trying to nurse it or repair it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Neon Euc likes this.
  5. Neon Euc

Good advice .... Really glad you got your phantom back on track tho :)

6. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Check the serial number and you'll probably find that they replaced the whole bird.
    You can't replace the motors without replacing the whole mainboard as well.
    It's most likely that they gave you a new Phantom rather than replacing almost all of the components.

Neon Euc likes this.