Does FAA ever check TravelbyDrone?

DLC

Reaction score
I am new P3S owner and love it so I read a lot and watch videos and seen the travelbydrone site and there are quite few neat videos, I have seen some in areas I know and after checking the U.S. Air Space Map | Know Before You Fly a lot of these were taken in no fly zones? Am I missing something here?, are they risking trouble to post these, would seem like you would have no chance of fighting this?

On first glance I would give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the majority called and got permission. There have been a few cases where some fool had little enough sense to post a questionable video. Same people like the fellows here in Flor-I-Duh who stop to take a selfie busting down the door of a 7-11, and it somehow gets on FarceBoink. o_O

I would suggest that no, the FAA doesn't patrol web sites. I'd say that's the equivalent of the police patrolling Instagram looking for driving selfies, in contravention of distracted driving laws.

However... should there happen to be an incident involving a drone in improper or illegal airspace and that footage is available, I would also suggest it would be admissible as evidence against.

That's just my two cents...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I would suggest that no, the FAA doesn't patrol web sites. I'd say that's the equivalent of the police patrolling Instagram looking for driving selfies, in contravention of distracted driving laws.

However... should there happen to be an incident involving a drone in improper or illegal airspace and that footage is available, I would also suggest it would be admissible as evidence against.

That's just my two cents...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Or your neighbors file a complaint and use your own video as proof of your dastardly actions. Once you make them public, no 5th amendment protection!

I haven't seen any that have done anything wrong other than location, I looked at Duluth Wi and seen one on the island which was very good but know there are many circles on no fly list over that area.

I stumbled on it, found some neat vids in areas I have been in or would like to go.

From my knowledge, the FAA does not actively look for infractions of UAV's. That said, if someone complains ( FAA Hotline Reporting Form) then they will contact the pilot and have a pow-wow.

I know this as the company I do work for was contacted by the FAA as they had posted some photo's / videos on their Facebook site showing their UAV and in association of helping local LEO during a Canal Days event. They were not flying over any people and were observing all the 333 rules in effect at that time. The concerned citizen was not aware of the rules and location of the UAV. The FAA and company official had a phone chat, explained exactly where they flew, the FAA was satisfied and all was good.

On the other hand, I know of a vlogger (a commercial video production and website - not Casey Neistat) that blatantly broke every rule in the book, both before and after becoming Part 107 certified. The FAA had a bit of a chat with them and now they are being very righteous with their flights.

TL;DR: FAA is to busy to just scout out UAV operators but if someone complains then they must look into it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic