Does controller battery level affect signal strength?

Reaction score
After updating my firmware my reception seemed to be better than before, more specifically the video feed. I flew an entire battery to distances that would have given me glitchy video before and all seemed fine.
Later in the afternoon I went to a different location and right away noticed poor reception notices from the Go app just feet away from my bird. I chalked it up to location and terminated my flight prior to making a run. When I got home I tried flying again and was getting the same messages again in a location I normally fly. I noticed the controller battery level down to 2 bars so wondered if the lower level affected reception. I charged it up and all seemed fine again.
I'm planning on additional testing but wonder what other think, any others notice anything similar?

Sent from my SM-J700T using PhantomPilots mobile app

No because the RF sections do not run at full battery voltage ....

Nigel

I thought i noticed something similar with battery and signal strength correlation but I did some tests with it and concluded the time of day impacts strength, at least for me.
I took a flight at 10 am in my neighborhood and was able to get up to 900 meters before the tree line made me lose signal. I took another flight at 2 pm and was barely able to make it to 600 meters without video cutting in and out. Both flights had full battery on controller.

The video feed has two parts... the radio controller, and the smartphone/tablet. I would not conclude that the problem is with the radio controller. Most slowdowns I've had were caused by my tablet. YMMV.

Numerous things can affect propagation.

The controller supply voltage is regulated (down to 3.3 vdc typically) so you get full power until you get low-batt shut-off which occurs well before the batt is below LiPo damage threshold.

The video feed has two parts... the radio controller, and the smartphone/tablet. I would not conclude that the problem is with the radio controller. Most slowdowns I've had were caused by my tablet. YMMV.

Hey There ChiefStealth, I too have Nvidia Shield tablet that keeps dropping my video signal. Have you found a cause/solution to this problem. Could you point me to some links that might address this problem? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan