DOES COLD IMU CALIBRATION SHORTCUT KILL YOUR BIRD?

Reaction score
I've read that waiting for a P3 to warm up can take a few minutes. I've also read about that shortcut where you put your P3 on an AC unit to make it colder during an IMU calibration, so that it shortens the warmup time. But it seems like warming up is a necessary process, and you could be shooting yourself in the foot if you skimp on it. Anybody know anything about that?

I set my Phantom outside for 30 minutes, it was 35*, after the IMU cal the warm up was very quick however because the batteries were cool (batteries were outside in my car) I still had to wait for the battery to warm.
I did another IMU cal this time setting my Phantom in my garage at 55*, for me this seems to be the sweet spot because the
warm up is quick and it seems to correspond with the battery coming up to temp.

I'd like to know the proper technique to doing the imu cal as well .... So many different perspectives ! Hard to know the proper way

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'd like to know the proper technique to doing the imu cal as well
Just like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just like this:

Sorry I should have elaborated ... I know the process of how to generally do it ,I meant what temperature to do it at. ie room temp / cool the phantom down over an AC vent / etc

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I know the process of how to generally do it ,I meant what temperature to do it at. ie room temp / cool the phantom down over an AC vent / etc
This video explains the cold calibration process in more detail:

So this is more of a good thing to do, and not a shortcut? I just didn't want to do it cold and then fly on a warm day and have it crash because the measurements were out of whack.

I just didn't want to do it cold and then fly on a warm day and have it crash because the measurements were out of whack.
I'd say it's perfectly safe to do since many people do it and there have been no reports of it causing any issues since the P3 was released almost a year ago.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
It's not a short cut. These aren't car engines. A cold IMU calibration merely changes the discrepancy between what the IMU's temperature sensors perceive and the ambient air temp during flight.

I put my Phantom in the refrigerator (in the hot Southern summer) for 20 minutes before doing the IMU calibration on a perfectly-level kitchen table, where everything else is ready to go. Fridges are not below freezing and not humid. If you live in cooler temps., you can place it outside for a while, then bring it inside for the calibration. You don't need to chill your home to do it.

But during below-freezing winter temps, I use the fridge again, since it's just below 40 degrees, which is ideal.

During nine months of ownership, I've never had a bad flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.