Does calibrating the compass damage the gimbal?

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

As per manual it is required to calibrate the compass of the DJIP2 everytime before a flight...or at least if you start from a new point.

However i am wondering if this brings any damage to the gimbal.

Of course the drone is switched on while calibrating the compass and so the gimbal is trying to equalize its movements.
I think in the case of rotating the drone 360 degrees in its standard take off positon there should be any problem.
But the moment i rotate the drone toward its head...basically starting the 2nd phase of the calibration process...the gimbal obviously is in a kind of "unnnatural" position...and the engines work hard to figure out how to keep it stable...

and exactly because of this i am wondering what to do...or if i shouldnt worry about it and just keep on doing as explained in the manual.

Short feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I'm not sure if it damages the gimbal, but to be safe when i calibrate the compass i unplug the gimbal cable, cailbrate and then plug it back in.

Compass calibration seems to work fine, although i do wonder if having the gimbal powered would affect the calibration at all?

do you think Calibrating Compas with gimbal attached on P2 won't interfere with Compas in its leg ? because Gimbal is Metal essentialy..

Seandyt said:
do you think Calibrating Compas with gimbal attached on P2 won't interfere with Compas in its leg ? because Gimbal is Metal essentialy..

It won't cause any issues, otherwise the compass would be affected by the gimbal during flight as well (the compass takes readings constantly not just during calibration).

da.rookie said:
As per manual it is required to calibrate the compass of the DJIP2 everytime before a flight...or at least if you start from a new point.

I have wondered the same thing. So did we come to a conclusion??? Is it better practice to disconnect the gimbal or to just not be concerned? Is there any official word on this?

bump

Russell said:
da.rookie said:

I have wondered the same thing. So did we come to a conclusion??? Is it better practice to disconnect the gimbal or to just not be concerned? Is there any official word on this?

I'd just leave it in, I can't see many people disconnecting the gimbal and then reconnecting it just for a simple compass calibration. Move your body around the gimbal, as in do the "dance".

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj