Does BTU work on P2?

Reaction score
I have the latest firmware on my P2. I have an iOSD plugged into my canbus that works fine.

I Plugged the BTU into the iOSD and the BTU lights up green.

I can not find the BTU when I use the NM Assistant on my ipad or iphone5.

I'm just trying to connect my ios device to the BTU for configuration.

As a side note, When I use the BTU plugged into my 2.4 datalink, my ipad connects to the BTU fine.

I don't know the answer to your question Frank, but I have heard that the settings assistant will actually work through the BTU when it's connected to the groundstation and that's linked to the Phantom.

I purchased the BTU to use with the P2 and NM iPhone App. I had no intent, initially, of purchasing the Ground Station setup. I've connected the BTU to the mini iOSD via CAN-Bus and plugged the iOSD into a USB cable and tried running the P2 Assistant and the RC Assistant. No sign of the BTU being updated.

You've saved me the Ground Station purchase, if it doesn't get the BTU working with NM App.

I've heard of no one that has gotten the NM Assistant App, the P2 and BTU working together.

I believe the P2 has a Naza-M V2.

Ksc said:
Buk said:
I believe the P2 has a Naza-M V2.

no. the p2 has a Phantom specific flight controller. it is not a naza which is probably the reason why the naza assistant won't work at this time.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt. ... 7838&stc=1

From the December 16, 2013 release notes:
Built-in NAZA-M V2 flight control system offers enhanced flight reliability, hover stability and easy operation.

Perhaps the release notes are incorrect. Printed on my P2 Naza(?) is "Your Flying Camera" and not Naza-M V2.

It's NAZA v2 hardware, restricted by firmware to be the P2-specific Flight Controller. Much more cost-efficient for the manufacturer to do it that way. Just change the shell and firmware each time you need a new variation, rather than creating it from the ground-up.

Which begs the question does this P2 firmware prevent the BTU from working with the NM App or what does; ie missing BTU update yet to be released.

Or was the NM App, BTU and P2 not meant to work together?

Sorry if this has already been reported.

I got the BTU, NM App, and Phantom 2 working. Not working correctly, so working is not an appropriated description.

Before doing the Version 3 update on my P2, I started an assortment of efforts to get the NM App to recognize the BTU. Not sure what I did, but suddenly it appeared. The NM App asked for a name for the Phantom2 and a password. Then the P2 was recognized and I could view the various parameters and even change them.

Then I tried an advanced calibration using the NM App and everything came to a halt. So I powered off the P2 and connected my Mac laptop and it said an advance calibration was needed or was in process. So I waited and then started an advance calibration and got an "OK".

Disconnected the laptop and tried to hook up to the P2 using the NM App and BTU, failures many failures. NM App indicated their was a firmware mismatch.

So I updated the P2 to version 3 software/firmware. The update went fine. I noticed there was a new button on the advance calibration page, a reset Bluetooth button. So I reset the Bluetooth and tried hooking up the BTU and NM App. Again many failures.

So I hooked up the laptop and started the PT Assistant and then fired up the NM App. The NM App hooked up just fine.

Obviously having the laptop hooked up and the NM App/BTU running concurrently is not the intent of the NM App.

Bump. I have exactly the same setup and same problems.

Why is no-one from DJI participating in these forums?

Emailing them is also useless.

Other members of the forum(s) have suggested the Naza-M inside of the Phantom 2 is a variant of the Naza-M V2. Meaning perhaps the Phantom 2 Naza-M is not compatible with the NM App and BTU without the use of the Ground Station hardware and software. Or perhaps meaning the Phantom 2 and the NM App and BTU are not intended to be used together, period.

If DJI Innovations employees lurk on forums, it would be to make product announcements, "Firmware X has been released for product Y" or "New product X has been released". If even permitted to answer questions by DJI corporate, they would be bombarded with questions similar to, "Are Phantom 2s available in other colors than white?" or asked questions attempting to garner trade secrets regarding Naza M programming. To me at least, doesn't seem likely DJI would pay people to lurk as part of or as there primary job function. Granted other companies on other forums freely participate in product discussions.

The sheer lack of support from DJI is staggering in its absence...

Surely some of their engineers can sign on with private identities and help solve some of the problems, answer some of the questions, or at least add them to their website FAQ's.

This is not a cheap kiddies toy we are playing with, and in many cases, safety is severely compromised due to lack of critical info and support.

Imagine if Apple or GoPro treated their customers like mushrooms... keep them in the dark and feed them lots of....

In my limited experience, GoPro and DJI are similar in their support via forums. They occasionally pop into the forums I frequent. GoPro can be just as frustrating as DJI for support. My experience with Apple is not as limited and I only need to visit their "community" on rare occasions. While it would nice to walk into a Genius Bar at a GoPro or DJI store and get support, that currently is the responsibility of the DJI vendors from whom you make purchases.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20